Actual Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

Well, anyhoo. Barring injury, the qb battle will not yet be settled by October 1. You could probably mark it.

Really? Unless there's a loss to Fresno or Miami and the offense just looks miserable in said loss, I see the starter being the starter, with odds on it being Tommy.

Yeah, Tommy's not blazing. But he's plenty fast enough. Not sure I'd call him 'slow', exactly.

Zac Lee was plenty fast. Ran a 4.59 (electronic) at his Pro Day. Tommy's probably in that area, but with much more nose for running, which is what matters. Running the option isn't something that relies on speed. I mean, Frost and Frazier weren't burners, either, were they? At least not compared to say, Crouch, who could fly.

• Fire 1
Yeah, Tommy's not blazing. But he's plenty fast enough. Not sure I'd call him 'slow', exactly.

Zac Lee was plenty fast. Ran a 4.59 (electronic) at his Pro Day. Tommy's probably in that area, but with much more nose for running, which is what matters. Running the option isn't something that relies on speed. I mean, Frost and Frazier weren't burners, either, were they? At least not compared to say, Crouch, who could fly.

Couldn't agree more

Terrell Newby put on 10 more pounds of muscle and maintained his speed.
Not trying to be a dick here but is adding 10 lbs that big of a deal when dealing with not losing speed? It just doesn't seem like enough to be too concerned about. 20-25 lbs maybe.

No worries, just an discussion. I don't think 10lbs would be a big deal if he was a pounding/big RB...but when you are one of the faster (maybe fastest) RBs in the conference I think 10Lbs of muscle goes a long way while keeping up that speed.

EDIT: And that 10Lbs is in only 2 months...he could add other 5-10 this summer, if he can keep his speed while doing it.

I think Tommy starts the first couple of games, but by the time Miami comes around we see Stanton used more and more.

There's so much buzz about Stanton. Can he really pull it off as a redshirt freshman, though?

Possibly. NU needs a game changer at QB like Mariotta, Manziel, Winston, etc.... I like TA, but I haven't seen that, at all. Maybe Stanton has it.

I think Tommy starts the first couple of games, but by the time Miami comes around we see Stanton used more and more.

There's so much buzz about Stanton. Can he really pull it off as a redshirt freshman, though?

Possibly. NU needs a game changer at QB like Mariotta, Manziel, Winston, etc.... I like TA, but I haven't seen that, at all.

I'm no insider, and maybe crewe or da skers can shed some insight on this, but I've heard from a lot of different people that Johnny is an absolute gamer in practice, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time. Not to mention the kid seems to be tough as nails, high in character and a tenacious competitor.

That could all be unwarranted speculation, but it will be a fun spring and fall camp.