Actual Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

I think Tommy starts the first couple of games, but by the time Miami comes around we see Stanton used more and more.

There's so much buzz about Stanton. Can he really pull it off as a redshirt freshman, though?

Possibly. NU needs a game changer at QB like Mariotta, Manziel, Winston, etc.... I like TA, but I haven't seen that, at all.

I'm no insider, and maybe crewe or da skers can shed some insight on this, but I've heard from a lot of different people that Johnny is an absolute gamer in practice, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time. Not to mention the kid seems to be tough as nails, high in character and a tenacious competitor.

That could all be unwarranted speculation, but it will be a fun spring and fall camp.

I would love for that to be true.

TA and Johnny seem very similar in their skillsets. Not top-end speed, but good, tough runners, able passers? (I think Tommy might have an edge there, not sure) but most importantly, everyone is in love with their intangibles and leadership qualities. Feel like Johnny would have to just do a lot of things significantly better to outpace Tommy this year, and I'm not counting that out, just saying it'd be extremely impressive.

I think Tommy starts the first couple of games, but by the time Miami comes around we see Stanton used more and more.

There's so much buzz about Stanton. Can he really pull it off as a redshirt freshman, though?

Martinez started as a redshirt freshman - beating out a couple older guys. TA started last year as a redshirt freshman, albeit in different circumstances.

Martinez started as a redshirt freshman - beating out a couple older guys. TA started last year as a redshirt freshman, albeit in different circumstances.

Tommy Armstrong will not only be the starting QB (barring injury), but he will start all season, and all of you who for whatever reason seem to be over looking Armstrong for Stanton will be mystified. You'll wonder, what the hell you were thinking. To me watching Armstrong out there, it's very obvious he's gonna be an elite QB, but I guess it's not so obvious for others who watch. The guy has got everything you want in a QB, both physically and mentally. I'm gonna love watching him run this offense, and as I've said before, I believe he will make Beck look like a much better offensive coordinator.

Of course, Stanton could start and I would just be wrong about the whole situation. Shucky darn.

But I doubt it.

Cross back up to 230 lbs after trimming down to 219 last spring. Says that's where he wants to be.

LJS Article

3rd down back all the way. Not a lot of people talked about it, but Cross's carries would instantly go up if Nebraskas offense just gets themselves into more manageable 3rd down situations. 3rd and 1-3 yards equals instant carries for Cross, especially at that weight, you would think. That would instantly settle the Huskerboard dispute on splitting carries between these guys.

Cross back up to 230 lbs after trimming down to 219 last spring. Says that's where he wants to be.

LJS Article

3rd down back all the way. Not a lot of people talked about it, but Cross's carries would instantly go up if Nebraskas offense just gets themselves into more manageable 3rd down situations. 3rd and 1-3 yards equals instant carries for Cross, especially at that weight, you would think. That would instantly settle the Huskerboard dispute on splitting carries between these guys.

I'm pretty sure the concept of "3rd down back" isn't something seen very often anymore. Too easy to key on for defenses. At least thats my thought process on it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm 26 years old and coached for 4 years. I know that I still have a long ways to go in the football knowledge department in terms of scheme. Always learning. I just think that there are easier ways to get 3 yards than to ram your head against a wall. :dunno

Thats just my philosophy though.

I'm sure Stanford has something to say about that...

Edit: Also, I was sitting in on the RB's session at the coaches clinic listening to Coach Brown talk about drills and scheme and all that jazz. There was one specific clip he showed us, it was Cross, and he was talking about how Cross has a tendency to run too tall. His pad level needs to get lower. In the clip he got "should have scored a TD" but instead looked like he was crowd surfing in a group of guys. Maybe this has a part in Cross not getting carries. Rather than his weight.

I'd love to get more info on the O-Line, with the injuries last year we ended up getting a lot of experience with the underclassmen which should help out a ton this year.

Any info would be appreciated on them.

Center: Reeves (JR)/(SR) are splitting time at center, Thurston (Soph) getting a few reps with the 1's too.

OG: Cotton did the work need in the off-season and looks prepared to be our next All-Conference type player. Moudy is out for spring so Kondolo and Givens- Price are working in that spot I believe.

OT: I think Sterup all but has one spot locked down. Sounds like Knevel and Lewis are playing good now too, I would expect Finnin to finish out that 4-deep.