Competition on the Offensive Line

From the above article - not sure what this is based on but it seems pretty close:

Six practices into this spring, Cotton at left guard and junior Zach Sterup at right tackle appear most entrenched. Price has taken the majority of snaps at right guard, though senior Mike Moudy, out with a shoulder injury this spring, figures to compete for the job in August.

At center, senior Mark Pelini and junior Ryne Reeves are splitting time. And at left tackle, Colorado transfer Alex Lewis, a junior who has emerged as a top spring storyline, and redshirt freshman David Knevel, continue to compete.

Mitch Sherman, ex-OWH writer, wrote it so I am sure he is writing based in having watched the practices.

Nice. I didn't catch that.

Hadn't heard as much about the RT spot. Sterup would seem to have the advantage after playing - and playing pretty well - in spot duty last year so hopefully he continues to progress.

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 3m

Pelini issued update on Ryne Reeves: "All of his imaging studies were normal, and it is being treated as a cervical strain injury." #Huskers

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 2m

Pelini said in a statement he is optimistic that Reeves will be able to return to practice at some point following spring break. #Huskers

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 55s

Credit is due to how Pelini handled that Reeves' situation. Said what he could after the practice. Updated it when it was right to do so.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

From Lyons status update: Finally, a strong quote from Gregory on Lewis, who still looks like NU’s starting left tackle: “He brings it. The best tackle I played against is Taylor Lewan over there at Michigan. As far as intensity and bringing it every play, (Lewis) beats him by 10 times. He’s so much better in that aspect of the game. If he can do that every play and bring that every game, it’ll make our offense that much better.”

Offensive line coaches John Garrison and Barney Cotton have a good problem. They have more talent — much of it experienced in terms of knowing Nebraska's offense — at their disposal than they have spots in the rotation. Tackle, where Alex Lewis looks solid on the left and Zach Sterup is at least the starter on the right, remains a question mark, but NU has a strong collection of physical, interchangeable interior linemen. Can Cotton and Garrison find time for five guards in Jake Cotton, Mike Moudy, Givens Price, Chongo Kondolo and Corey Whitaker? The 2014 bunch has far less seasoning than the experienced 2013 unit, but more athleticism.

The Huskers' offensive line, in terms of pipeline development, is in as good a shape as it's been since Pelini's arrival. The depth is there. And I still think four-star signees Tanner Farmer and Nick Gates could be good enough to contribute right away.

OWH

Offensive line coaches John Garrison and Barney Cotton have a good problem. They have more talent — much of it experienced in terms of knowing Nebraska's offense — at their disposal than they have spots in the rotation. Tackle, where Alex Lewis looks solid on the left and Zach Sterup is at least the starter on the right, remains a question mark, but NU has a strong collection of physical, interchangeable interior linemen. Can Cotton and Garrison find time for five guards in Jake Cotton, Mike Moudy, Givens Price, Chongo Kondolo and Corey Whitaker? The 2014 bunch has far less seasoning than the experienced 2013 unit, but more athleticism.

The Huskers' offensive line, in terms of pipeline development, is in as good a shape as it's been since Pelini's arrival. The depth is there. And I still think four-star signees Tanner Farmer and Nick Gates could be good enough to contribute right away.

OWH

I am excited to see both Farmer and Gates hit the field, but with that kind of depth, do we need to burn their RS (unless they could contribute at OT)?

My guess is that Farmer redshirts. He wants to anyways and the two guard spots - an possibly center - will probably have seniors starting. Barring some injuries, we should have good depth on the inside. I think he will be a very good player but it wouldn't make much sense to use a year when he'll be playing a back-up role.

Gates at tackle could be interesting. Sounds like Lewis and Sterup are doing well but I'm not sure anyone is really stepping up behind them.

Very excited about the depth and athleticism we have this year. For a team that's built on running and has done so well the last few years at it, having a group this scary up front could exponentially increase the strength of our O.

Now, If we could just find a way to get the skill positions to protect that football... :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

However, I hope they get Kondolo and Whittaker worked in some at guard, Price steps up, and Moudy is ready to go. It seems like every year is the year Cotton is beasting and finally ready to break out... and then he gets hurt.