Armstrong Leading the QB Race

Two different styles, hard to compare. Don't agree that Tommy is better right now than Martinez ever was, but he's further along as a passer than Martinez was at this point in his career.

Taylor vs. Chattanooga: 11/22 (50%) - 116 yards - 5.3 AVG - 0 TDs - 0 INTs

Tommy vs. Florida Atl.: 15/29 (52%) - 271 yards - 9.3 AVG - 2TDs - 0 INTs

Taylor improved a lot as a passer between his sophomore and junior year. If Tommy makes a similar jump, watch out. Tommy doesn't possess Taylor's game-changing speed, but personally I think he runs the option game better, and he's only going to improve. The future looks bright at the position.

I definitely agree with the option part. It seems that Armstrong either understands that you have to make that first unblocked defender commit or is more willing to take a hit. Too many times when Martinez ran the option, he would pitch way too early, which caused that unblocked defender to easily peel off the QB and tackle the RB.

Two different styles, hard to compare. Don't agree that Tommy is better right now than Martinez ever was, but he's further along as a passer than Martinez was at this point in his career.

Tommy vs. Florida Atl.: 15/29 (52%) - 271 yards - 9.3 AVG - 2 TDs - 0 INTs

Taylor improved a lot as a passer between his sophomore and junior year. If Tommy makes a similar jump, watch out. Tommy doesn't possess Taylor's game-changing speed, but personally I think he runs the option game better, and he's only going to improve. The future looks bright at the position.

No, no, no.....shaking my damn head right now.

Haven't you figured it out yet. You can't like one and like the other. You can't compare ones skillset to the others and choose things you liked about each individually. If you like Armstrong, then that means you HATE Taylor Martinez! That's your only option. Just like if you were an avid Martinez supporter, you have to be reluctant or completely unwilling to admit Armstrong's strenths. You see, this is just how it has to be. So it is written, so shall it be done.

I believe it's the eleventh commandmant: Thou shalt not discuss Nebraska Quarterbacks with a reasonable or moderate tone.

Like you said, two totally different players. Hard to compare their numbers if numbers is all you choose to look at. I've taken the eyeball test a long time ago and I believe in Tommy's abilities. Saturday was a great start and I'm really excited to see more from this offense.

Good luck to Taylor. I'm glad we have moved on.

I definitely agree with the option part. It seems that Armstrong either understands that you have to make that first unblocked defender commit or is more willing to take a hit. Too many times when Martinez ran the option, he would pitch way too early, which caused that unblocked defender to easily peel off the QB and tackle the RB.

And Martinez ran the zone read better. They are two very different QBs.

But none of this matters. Taylor graduated. TA is the starter. He still has a ton of improvement that needs to happen, but with the talent around him he should be fine being overall an average QB until the passing game starts to click.

I would include read option in "option game" because it appears it will still be a big part of our offense. If Saturday was any indication, we're going to have an improved read option game, with huge potential for play action off it.

You're getting way ahead of yourself there. Can you name a stat where Armstrong is better than Martinez?

That was the problem with TM. Statistically, he looked great on paper. However, that never translated into real life greatness. Armstrong has a calmness and natural leadership to him that TM never EVER had. Heck, Armstrong is 8-1 as a starter. That's the only stat that matters and it's better than anything TM put up.

I think you're smoking crack on this comment dude and I also think that cutting down the guy who owns almost every QB record in the book with this comment is wrong.

Not trying to offend. Not one of those guys who feels loyalty to any particular camp. Just telling it like I saw it. Yeah, he piled on the stats, but it never helped the team. Let me ask you this: Did you EVER once hear a player talk about TM's leadership skills? Never. However, this fall, alone, multiple players have complimented Armstrong on his natural leadership abilities.

You're getting way ahead of yourself there. Can you name a stat where Armstrong is better than Martinez?

That was the problem with TM. Statistically, he looked great on paper. However, that never translated into real life greatness. Armstrong has a calmness and natural leadership to him that TM never EVER had. Heck, Armstrong is 8-1 as a starter. That's the only stat that matters and it's better than anything TM put up.

I'm sure you know TM started 9-1, right?
  • Fire 3

tumblr_ly63ddiYtu1r7uivno1_400.gif

8-1, he didn't play in the Iowa State game. Then proceeded to go 0-3 because he didn't play in the Colorado game.

TM never had an oline this good. The defense his last 2.33 years wasnt very good, either. And lets not talk about the performance of his OC.

Yet he led us to 2 CCGs, 1 as a frosh. while on 2 bad legs.

Also, lets not give Tommy too much credit for 2 of those wins , considering that he wasn't good enough to finish the games against PSU and NW. Those games belong to RKIII

• Fire 2

You just made my point. He put up great stats, and, yes, started 9-1, but OHHHHHH that one loss was brutally painful. He never recovered after his 9-1 start. Was an average QB with no legs after year one.

TM never had an oline this good. The defense his last 2.33 years wasnt very good, either. And lets not talk about the performance of his OC.

Yet he led us to 2 CCGs, 1 as a frosh. while on 2 bad legs.

Also, lets not give Tommy too much credit for 2 of those wins , considering that he wasn't good enough to finish the games against PSU and NW. Those games belong to RKIII

Oh, here we go.......

Who knew? I figured this conversation was gonna happen, but this soon?