Armstrong Leading the QB Race

54-

54-

49-

51-

These are the numbers of some of Nebraska's great QB career completion %. One was a Hypesman, one was robber of his and 2 won the MNC. Not to shabby.

I know our O then was completely different than now, but no doubt in those years we were a run first O, like now and teams tried to stop the run. To no avail.

The percentage completion rate only tells a part of the story. If TA continues to throw around 50-55% and truly limits the INT's, we are in for a very good season. Low INT's means he is throwing the ball away or making it where only the receiver can get it. I'll take that all day long.

You know what's actually a lot more beneficial than comparing productivity and completion percentages to previous Nebraska quarterbacks in different eras of college football and different offensive systems?

Comparing productivity and completion percentages to other quarterbacks that play college football in 2014.

• Fire 1

You know what's actually a lot more beneficial than comparing productivity and completion percentages to previous Nebraska quarterbacks in different eras of college football and different offensive systems?

Comparing productivity and completion percentages to other quarterbacks that play college football in 2014.Y

I won't answer with some smart a$$ comment. Don't want a vacation now the season has started.

Reason for comparison. Folks are stuck on some "mythical" percentage that means success. The guys listed above had success at an incredible level, but according to the "experts" on the board, percentages alone would be looked at as failures.

For a comparison, would you feel better comparing an Oregon to Bama. Two current guys in completely different systems. Clemson to Navy? Again same season, but 2 different guys. Nick Marshall? 59% career? Jameis Winston 66%. Devin Gardner 60%. Braxton Miller 59% Bo Wallace with his 64% and 44 TD's to 30 INT's?

So how would you rate TA? Compare him to someone else this week whose team just put up almost 800 yards of offense. Who use our same O.

I stand by my comments that percentage completion rate only tells part of the story.

Comparing productivity and completion percentages to other quarterbacks that play college football in 2014.

In the same system of course, right? I mean otherwise your point is meaningless.

• Fire 2

Comparing productivity and completion percentages to other quarterbacks that play college football in 2014.Y

I won't answer with some smart a$$ comment. Don't want a vacation now the season has started.

Reason for comparison. Folks are stuck on some "mythical" percentage that means success. The guys listed above had success at an incredible level, but according to the "experts" on the board, percentages alone would be looked at as failures.

For a comparison, would you feel better comparing an Oregon to Bama. Two current guys in completely different systems. Clemson to Navy? Again same season, but 2 different guys. Nick Marshall? 59% career? Jameis Winston 66%. Devin Gardner 60%. Braxton Miller 59% Bo Wallace with his 64% and 44 TD's to 30 INT's?

So how would you rate TA? Compare him to someone else this week whose team just put up almost 800 yards of offense. Who use our same O.

I stand by my comments that percentage completion rate only tells part of the story.

Just to provide an example, not to actually try and prove a point because I don't have one, Oregon, Auburn, A&M, and Arizona are all teams that I think could be at least moderately or relevantly comparable as far as offensive style and/or offensive production in week 1.

Oregon - 673 total yards

Marcus Mariota - 14/20 (70%) - 267 yards - 13.35 YPA - 3 TD - 0 INT ----- 6 rushes - 43 yards - 1 TD - Raw QB rating of 97.1, adjusted 93.2

Auburn - 595 total yards

Nick Marshall didn't really play much due to his marijuana suspension but check his nubmers from last year I guess?

Texas A&M - 680 total yards

Kevin Hill - 44/60 (73%) - 511 yards - 3 TD - 0 INT ----- 7 rushes - 5 yards - Raw QB rating of 91.5, adjusted 94.8

Arizona - 787 total yards

Anu Solomon - 25/44 (57%) - 425 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT ------ 8 rushes - 50 yards - Raw QB rating of 87.3, adjusted 82.0

Tommy Armstrong Jr - 15/29 (51%) - 271 yards - 2 TD - 0 INT ----- 7 rushes - 62 yards - Raw QB rating of 92.8, adjusted 91.7

Interesting that the QBR numbers are so similar despite the rest of Tommy's stats not measuring up besides a bit more rushing yards - wonder how that's calculated.

Just to provide an example, not to actually try and prove a point because I don't have one, Oregon, Auburn, A&M, and Arizona are all teams that I think could be at least moderately or relevantly comparable as far as offensive style and/or offensive production in week 1.

Oregon - 673 total yards

Marcus Mariota - 14/20 (70%) - 267 yards - 13.35 YPA - 3 TD - 0 INT ----- 6 rushes - 43 yards - 1 TD - Raw QB rating of 97.1, adjusted 93.2

Auburn - 595 total yards

Nick Marshall didn't really play much due to his marijuana suspension but check his nubmers from last year I guess?

Texas A&M - 680 total yards

Kevin Hill - 44/60 (73%) - 511 yards - 3 TD - 0 INT ----- 7 rushes - 5 yards - Raw QB rating of 91.5, adjusted 94.8

Arizona - 787 total yards

Anu Solomon - 25/44 (57%) - 425 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT ------ 8 rushes - 50 yards - Raw QB rating of 87.3, adjusted 82.0

Tommy Armstrong Jr - 15/29 (51%) - 271 yards - 2 TD - 0 INT ----- 7 rushes - 62 yards - Raw QB rating of 92.8, adjusted 91.7

Interesting that the QBR numbers are so similar despite the rest of Tommy's stats not measuring up besides a bit more rushing yards - wonder how that's calculated.

QBR is kind of weighted towards how a QB reacts to certain situations and down and distances. So Armstrong got major points for converting those on the first couple of drives.

Not for nothing, I can live with TA completing 52% of his passes when AA has over 200 yards rushing....

We're not Washington St, where were gonna throw the ball 40 or 50 times. If that and turnovers, which we had none last weekend, are your major concern, I think somebodies would a bit too tight...

QBR is kind of weighted towards how a QB reacts to certain situations and down and distances. So Armstrong got major points for converting those on the first couple of drives.

That's what I was most impressed with. In years past when we had a penalty it usually meant the drive was over (no matter how bad the opponent) and we were going to be punting.

Not for nothing, I can live with TA completing 52% of his passes when AA has over 200 yards rushing....

We're not Washington St, where were gonna throw the ball 40 or 50 times. If that and turnovers, which we had none last weekend, are your major concern, I think somebodies would a bit too tight...

Wouldn't 3-5 WR screens per game change that %? Seemed to help beef it up a lot the last 2 seasons.

Armstrong will throw it over the middle if it is called for it. I like seeing that.

Wouldn't 3-5 WR screens per game change that %? Seemed to help beef it up a lot the last 2 seasons.

Armstrong will throw it over the middle if it is called for it. I like seeing that.

I guess you're missing my point. We ran for almost 500 yards, we don't need to throw it that much that we need to worry about the QB's completion percentage...

I guess you're missing my point. We ran for almost 500 yards, we don't need to throw it that much that we need to worry about the QB's completion percentage...

It would appear that way because that is my fault. No beef with you. Wiggling through 14 pages of 52% this and that, I just happened to grab your comment. I agree the % is not a deal breaker when we run the ball that well and no turnovers. And if we don't, then we just need to make sure we have success converting our third downs.

It would appear that way because that is my fault. No beef with you. Wiggling through 14 pages of 52% this and that, I just happened to grab your comment. I agree the % is not a deal breaker when we run the ball that well and no turnovers. And if we don't, then we just need to make sure we have success converting our third downs.

No worries... if they ran for 400 yards and his completion percentage was 45%, I probably still wouldn't care if they were winning...