Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

So I don't know who is right and who is wrong in this unionizing and voices and whatever.

But I will say this. These athletic administrators, university presidents, and coaches are highly unintelligent if they thought they could sign BILLION DOLLAR television deals, $90 million dollar apparel deals(Notre Dame), multi-million dollar bowl game deals, pay coaches $6 million a year and everyone makes bonuses based on the players performances through the year and some of these kids not notice what is going on. Especially when you have teams like Alabama that cuts football players to make room for new ones every year or whatever. Who is looking out for them?

Maybe they deserve more maybe they don't. But the arrogance of these universities to think they could do what they have been doing for this long and athletes not say something is disturbing.

I completely agree that I understand how a player gets frustrated that his coach and AD get paid millions of dollars while he feels like he isn't getting anything. However, the rest of what you said about contracts being signed mean nothing because that money is being pumped into the programs these kids enjoy.

And, the other side of the coaches making millions argument, where do these kids want to go play? They want to go play for (on average) the higher paid coaches because those tend to be the best coaches. So, again.....if a program wants to be successful, they have to spend the money. They have to spend the money on facilities and coaches. Why? Because those are the things players look at when coming out of college. They want to sit in a fancy players lounge playing video games and know they have one of the best coaches on the planet. How does a program get one of the best coaches on the planet? By paying him millions of dollars.

• Fire 1

Just some thought...A normal student, no scholly, gets loans, grants, or whatever...probably gets a job to have some extra spending cash for weekends, food, etc...they are not working to pay for their school right then and there. Student Athletes, don't have to pay for the schooling, but then no one really does while they are going to school...but they still need money for the things I mentioned before, but instead of being able to get a job and make some money for those things, they are at practice or watching film...not a lot of time left for homework and a job, etc...

I have no doubt that I would have loved to have had my college paid for, but I didn't...so yes they are getting a benefit in that regard, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they still need money to get by while they are at college and they don't have a lot of extra time on their hands to get that done.

I don't necessarily think a union is the right way to go, but I wish the NCAA would give student's some sort of stipend to live off of.

Just some thought...A normal student, no scholly, gets loans, grants, or whatever...probably gets a job to have some extra spending cash for weekends, food, etc...they are not working to pay for their school right then and there. Student Athletes, don't have to pay for the schooling, but then no one really does while they are going to school...but they still need money for the things I mentioned before, but instead of being able to get a job and make some money for those things, they are at practice or watching film...not a lot of time left for homework and a job, etc...

I have no doubt that I would have loved to have had my college paid for, but I didn't...so yes they are getting a benefit in that regard, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they still need money to get by while they are at college and they don't have a lot of extra time on their hands to get that done.

I don't necessarily think a union is the right way to go, but I wish the NCAA would give student's some sort of stipend to live off of.

I didn't have to pay tuition at that moment, but I did have to pay for rent, books, clothing, and food. They don't have to pay for books, clothing, or most food. Rent I'm not sure.

Then take out loans.

This is the right perspective, but is also uneducated. Do some research, check the numbers, and realize that they already have all of that stuff:

As a football player at Northwestern, you are on full ride scholarship which translates out to roughly $65,000 a year. With nothing else, being a student-athlete, you are already receiving compensation that puts you in the top 3% in the entire country. As a full-time working adult, I don't make half that much. Now please, if you are reading, this is the part I want you to pay attention to.

In addition to that, you are likely also eligible for a Pell Grant, another $5,500 per year. In addition to that, if you receive a Pell Grant, you are also eligible for a $500 clothing allowance per year. In addition to that, your athletic department has a Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, for anynon-scholarship expense that you can't pay for, such as gas in your car, a plane ticket home, etc. In addition to that, you also have access to a Special Assistance fund, which requests additional financial aid for similar special financial needs that you might have (since you do not have the available time to have a job outside of football). In addition to that, you likely live off-campus, right? Your scholarship gives you $13,862 towards room and board - but if you get an apartment with your teammates and pay $400 a rent in month, that is only $4,800 for the year. That leaves you with a $9,000 difference left in cash for you to use as you choose.

So, by my admittedly non-scientific math, being a football player at Northwestern earns you roughly $80,000 per year in compensation, untaxed. You receive over $10,000 in extra income that does not go towards any necessity living costs, and does not include anything you might get from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund or the Special Assistance Fund.

USA Today: Athletes, administrators debate scholarship stipends (September 2013)

2 perspectives:

(former Villanova basketball team captain in the early 2000s) Jen Hilgenberg laughs when she reads about the NCAA's proposed $2,000 stipends for scholarship athletes.

"As a Division I athlete, my question would be, 'What do they need it for?' " she said. "Your room and food is paid for. You're getting apparel. You're pretty much taken care of until the day you go home over the summer. In four years, at the end of the day I didn't ask for anything financially from my parents. The school provided it all."

"I think there's a big misconception a lot of people have — that a full scholarship takes care of everything. In reality, it doesn't," said Monmouth junior Julian Hayes, a leading rusher for the Hawks' football team. "There are simple things like gas money, toiletries, clothing — things people take for granted. A student who is on an academic scholarship has time to bring in some extra income, whereas a full scholarship player most likely is not able to do that."

USA Today: Athletes, administrators debate scholarship stipends (September 2013)

2 perspectives:

(former Villanova basketball team captain in the early 2000s) Jen Hilgenberg laughs when she reads about the NCAA's proposed $2,000 stipends for scholarship athletes.

"As a Division I athlete, my question would be, 'What do they need it for?' " she said. "Your room and food is paid for. You're getting apparel. You're pretty much taken care of until the day you go home over the summer. In four years, at the end of the day I didn't ask for anything financially from my parents. The school provided it all."

"I think there's a big misconception a lot of people have — that a full scholarship takes care of everything. In reality, it doesn't," said Monmouth junior Julian Hayes, a leading rusher for the Hawks' football team. "There are simple things like gas money, toiletries, clothing — things people take for granted. A student who is on an academic scholarship has time to bring in some extra income, whereas a full scholarship player most likely is not able to do that."

Somebody is lying.

I would like to see the total compensation package a Nebraska football player gets. I know what Kansas basketball players were getting when I was in college (2005-2009), they weren't living by the skin of their teeth. I'd guess our players are similarly situated.

I'm pretty sure Kenny Bell could have elected to stay on campus and receive the top meal plan at no cost. Many times, players choose to live off campus. They are still given stipends that commensurate with the cost of room and board. If he is running out of that amount (usually a lot), that is his problem.

• Fire 1

Currently on the front page of SI.com, and the lead splash feature on Yahoo! sports NCAAF home.

I should note that ESPN hates us because while no less than 5 of their 14 featured college football headlines are union/athlete pay related, ours isn't one of them. All they have is this one called Nebraska's Armstrong ready to make impact.

I love how the SI article says Nebraska playerS are considering unionizing and then goes on to basically say Kenny Bell talked about it with Colter

I sit here at work and I'm also wondering if Kenny decided to drop $700+ on a trip somewhere during Spring Break.......

So what if he did? It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge what they spend money on.

How would you like it if you went to your boss and asked for a raise and were denied because they questioned how you would spend the extra money?

• Fire 1