Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

I was fortunate enough to have played football in college. I can tell you the perks we had were pretty nice...the money given to us for food on travel days was WAY more than any of use needed. I was an offensive lineman so if my line mates had enough, everyone had more than enough! I had my school paid for, for the most part. The apparel was great, the training table was nice, and extra tutoring if needed was greatly appreciated. I knew I had it better than some of the people on campus, but at the same time, I thought it was 'deserved' (for lack of a better way of saying it) since I was playing ball for the school.

I do go back and forth on this topic. I know football and some basketball programs make major cash for the universities. I did feel at times that we were being used, but in the end, I got a great education, got to play football, and had a great time doing both of them. I can only imagine what is like to play BIG TIME ball and all of the money going around because of you. I did not have anyone wearing my jersey number around or the university did not make tons of cash off of me specifically like major schools.

If the athletes get this going, I feel they will begin to regret this. Having to tax all of their money given to them will make some of them drown pretty quickly.

I was very proud to play for my school and very fortunate to get the opportunity to play the sport I love even longer. That was enough for me!

• Fire 3

I am opposed to the unionization of college sports. However, the athletes should have some form of a complaint system with the AD to resolve issues. Player council? Union- NO!

I do think the athletes should get a stipend to cover expenses if they are barred from other income by the NCAA. It should be regulated so boosters don't furnish $5,000/month for lunch or laundry money.

Student athletes should not get paid in the sense they are employees or be allowed to bank money from autographs or endorsements. I think the NCAA should reviewed by a panel and its policies revised. Some things I think should be looked at:

1) The NCAA should not be a money cash cow or profit taking. If they retain the money made from sales, endorsements, etc., all of that money should be shared by the schools to provide more scholarships, tutors, more sports teams for male and female athletes. etc.

2) All athletes should get a scholarship to finish school if they are injured and cannot continue to play.

3) More scholarships should be allowed even if entirely funded by boosters or alumni organizations. The NCAA should promote fairness with this program for the bottom half of the division schools.

4) The NCAA should require and enforce tutor and education policies that will generate higher graduation rates with legitimate degree programs.

I sit here at work and I'm also wondering if Kenny decided to drop $700+ on a trip somewhere during Spring Break.......

It's hard out here for a pimp.

You know, when you make me laugh out loud and spit coffee on my keyboard you don't make my job any easier.

Greed. Starts at the top and trickles right on down. Enough is never enough.

There's no reason salaries for any of these people needs to be so high, including Presidents of Universities on down to the coaching staff's. Yet, every year they climb. Television deals in the billions? For what? Who is paying for this?

Ticket prices go up every season. Student athletes don't feel they are being compensated appropriately. What's the answer? I don't know. I'm sure if the guys at the top weren't so f'ing arrogant and extravagant in the ways they flash their increasing money deals and salaries, it may help.

Do you yank scholarships away? Here you go kids. No more scholarship. You want to play ball for a living and get an education I guess you'd better find a way to do it. Wanna make the big NFL dollars some day playing the game you love? Well, the red carpet entrance, the stage on which you showcase those talents, it no longer is given to you. Is that the answer? Probably not.

At some point people have to stop taking and start giving back. That won't ever happen. So f#*k it. Pay em' all. Pay em massive amounts of money. It will never be enough, so to hell with it. The fans will always foot the bill. Til' they don't, or can't anymore I guess. Of course, when the fans can't afford it anymore, they will just ask for more money from their work place.......blah blah. What a society.

• Fire 2

I sit here at work and I'm also wondering if Kenny decided to drop $700+ on a trip somewhere during Spring Break.......

So what if he did? It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge what they spend money on.

How would you like it if you went to your boss and asked for a raise and were denied because they questioned how you would spend the extra money?

Well to answer the personal question about me I solved that by becoming a higher-up in my company.

As for the other part, I encourage you to study Maslow's Heriarchy of Needs.

I do think the athletes should get a stipend to cover expenses if they are barred from other income by the NCAA. It should be regulated so boosters don't furnish $5,000/month for lunch or laundry money.

Come on you guys.

Please.....

Pay attention.

THIS ALREADY EXISTS

So what if he did? It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge what they spend money on.

How would you like it if you went to your boss and asked for a raise and were denied because they questioned how you would spend the extra money?

Well to answer the personal question about me I solved that by becoming a higher-up in my company.

As for the other part, I encourage you to study Maslow's Heriarchy of Needs.

You didn't really answer the personal question. YOU didn't solve anything. You became a higher up in your company because someone chose you. Now what if they kept you from being a higher up because the thought you would do something they considered irresponsible with the extra money you would earn?

At Kentucky the basketball team lives in a $7 million home. In Kansas it's about to be a $17.5 million home. Nebraska will follow suit. And they'll still bitch about how rough they have it. About time to make the athletes students again, so they'll work harder to get the hell out.

http://www.kansascit...ing-is-the.html

The universities, apparel companies and TV networks made this about money. Not the players.

Effects of unionization over many years:

1) Unions will demand work place environments standards- short practices, no outdoor practices when the temperature is 80 and above, no games when the temperature is below 35, travel in first class travel only, etc.

2) Players can file grievances if the coaches swear or demean the player based upon the player's preceptions only.

3) Players can file grievances and demand players be removed for harassment or creating a hostile environment.

4) Refuse to play other teams if they are not union.

5) Right to organize on school property and time with open ballots only.

6) Require all players to belong to the union and to pay dues.

7) Union teams are entitled to percentage of the ticket and concession sales. Players keep all endorsement earnings and have the right to wear specific advertisement logos on their uniforms.

8) Right to free agency- be able to move to another school if they can get a better deal and more money (stipends and endorsements) without eligibility penalties.

9) Right to file grievances for being ejected from a game or other bad calls effecting a preceived decrease in marketability or draft potential.

10) Players can negotiate special benefits based upon their performance statistics- such as personal massueses, drinks and food before and after the game, limousine service between their home and practice/game location, personal assistants, agents, etc.

11) Free medical and dental treatments for life to cover injuries sustained directly or indirectly from play.

12) Coaches must coordinate their practice plans and schedule with the players or their agents in advance and obtain approval if the workplace environment is changed.

13) Coaches cannot change the players position without the player's consent. If agreed to by the player, the coach must negotiate a new player contract before the change can be made.

14) Coaches must have exclusive contracts with the star players and the remaining non-star players may be convered under a group contract.

Because most people weren't fortunate enough to have college paid for the way that they do. 2 years in and between me and my gf we're about 34k in the whole with student loans that Kenny is never going to have to worry about. But you know what? If kenny needs more money while he's in college? Get some loans taken out as BigRedBuster said.

Edit if they want, Give them the same amount as tuition, room and board and a 200 a month equivalent check in a lump sum, make them pay for their schooling (no scholly anymore), tax the money, see how quickly it's gone, union disbands, profit?

Presidents of universities typically do not have very high salaries, I thought.

Depends on what you consider a high salary.

http://money.cnn.com...-president-pay/

2008 dollars:

phd102008s.gif

For someone in their position? Yeah, although I'm sure it is much more at the big schools. Should point out that University President, Provost, and Dean figures are medians while the rest are means. BTW, I don't consider football coaches' pay to be unfair. Just that the administrators are surprisingly low in comparison.