Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

I sit here at work and I'm also wondering if Kenny decided to drop $700+ on a trip somewhere during Spring Break.......

So what if he did? It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge what they spend money on.

How would you like it if you went to your boss and asked for a raise and were denied because they questioned how you would spend the extra money?

Because most people weren't fortunate enough to have college paid for the way that they do. 2 years in and between me and my gf we're about 34k in the whole with student loans that Kenny is never going to have to worry about. But you know what? If kenny needs more money while he's in college? Get some loans taken out as BigRedBuster said.

Kenny never said he needed the money. That doesn't mean he can't speak for other people who do.

At Kentucky the basketball team lives in a $7 million home. In Kansas it's about to be a $17.5 million home. Nebraska will follow suit. And they'll still bitch about how rough they have it. About time to make the athletes students again, so they'll work harder to get the hell out.

http://www.kansascit...ing-is-the.html

The universities, apparel companies and TV networks made this about money. Not the players.

Title IX didn't help. Football money, TV contracts, and apparel deals supply money to all sports in the athletic department. I'll be curious to see the effect of unionization on smaller sports. I feel they'll be losing out.

At Kentucky the basketball team lives in a $7 million home. In Kansas it's about to be a $17.5 million home. Nebraska will follow suit. And they'll still bitch about how rough they have it. About time to make the athletes students again, so they'll work harder to get the hell out.

http://www.kansascit...ing-is-the.html

The universities, apparel companies and TV networks made this about money. Not the players.

Title IX didn't help. Football money, TV contracts, and apparel deals supply money to all sports in the athletic department. I'll be curious to see the effect of unionization on smaller sports. I feel they'll be losing out.

No doubt about this statement

I sit here at work and I'm also wondering if Kenny decided to drop $700+ on a trip somewhere during Spring Break.......

So what if he did? It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge what they spend money on.

How would you like it if you went to your boss and asked for a raise and were denied because they questioned how you would spend the extra money?

Because most people weren't fortunate enough to have college paid for the way that they do. 2 years in and between me and my gf we're about 34k in the whole with student loans that Kenny is never going to have to worry about. But you know what? If kenny needs more money while he's in college? Get some loans taken out as BigRedBuster said.

Kenny never said he needed the money. That doesn't mean he can't speak for other people who do.

Get a loan. And he was quoted as himself running out of food stipends, btw.

Get a loan.

Why should they have to? College athletics are a billion dollar industry. Plenty of money right there.

Greed. Starts at the top and trickles right on down. Enough is never enough.

There's no reason salaries for any of these people needs to be so high, including Presidents of Universities on down to the coaching staff's. Yet, every year they climb. Television deals in the billions? For what? Who is paying for this?

Ticket prices go up every season. Student athletes don't feel they are being compensated appropriately. What's the answer? I don't know. I'm sure if the guys at the top weren't so f'ing arrogant and extravagant in the ways they flash their increasing money deals and salaries, it may help.

Do you yank scholarships away? Here you go kids. No more scholarship. You want to play ball for a living and get an education I guess you'd better find a way to do it. Wanna make the big NFL dollars some day playing the game you love? Well, the red carpet entrance, the stage on which you showcase those talents, it no longer is given to you. Is that the answer? Probably not.

At some point people have to stop taking and start giving back. That won't ever happen. So f#*k it. Pay em' all. Pay em massive amounts of money. It will never be enough, so to hell with it. The fans will always foot the bill. Til' they don't, or can't anymore I guess. Of course, when the fans can't afford it anymore, they will just ask for more money from their work place.......blah blah. What a society.

Best post I have read in a long time and agree with it 99.9%! Can't say 100% because nothing is ever a sure thing! + 1 True!

Why should they have to? College athletics are a billion dollar industry. Plenty of money right there.

Why should normal students? College academics are a multi-million dollar industry. Plenty of money there.

Is that why they continue to raise tuition and layoff professors and have budget cutbacks? How many video games using a normal student's likeness are there? How many science classes are Adidas and Nike sponsoring? How many Math Bowls are getting $15 million to compete?

And I am not saying that normal students should. If they don't like the situation, do something about it like athletes are.

• Fire 1

Why should normal students? College academics are a multi-million dollar industry. Plenty of money there.

Is that why they continue to raise tuition and layoff professors and have budget cutbacks?

Yes.

And you think all that money is just pocketed? You know they spend money to make the players wanna be there too right? Whether it's facilities, coaches players want, other sports that aren't as popular to watch and root for but are just as important. The money is needed (not all, mind you. But then again the players already get excess from beyond just their tuition) to keep the university going. So basically just because person A is more athletically gifted than person B, that person A deserves more and person B should have to work twice as hard to stay afloat in college only to be in massive debt once they're done? Talk about labeling. Who knew genes still dictate someone's place in the world....

I like Kenny. He's one of my favorite players on the team. He's humble and he gets it for the most part. He plays hard during the game and when it's over he gets himself ready for the next challenge. He sees his teammates as family and he realizes that he's got a good thing going here at NU.

The issue of athlete compensation is a sticky one and we all know that athletes already receive a lot of rights and privileges that aren't available to other students.

We also know that football participation carries with it certain risks from an injury stand point. A lot of those injuries have long term effects.

We also know that major colleges make a LOT of money off these programs.

A discussion about player welfare just makes sense. The talk of unions doesn't necessarily mean one will be established.

However, if the NCAA brass gets a bit scared that one might be established and therefor makes sure to continue to think through these player welfare issues so that the best systems are in place to help guys through their collegiate careers and beyond... then that is GREAT news.

If Kenny wants to take part in the discussion, that's great. He's a smart kid and will represent himself and the University of Nebraska with class.

• Fire 1

Then those players can go get loans.

Is that why they continue to raise tuition and layoff professors and have budget cutbacks? How many video games using a normal student's likeness are there? How many science classes are Adidas and Nike sponsoring? How many Math Bowls are getting $15 million to compete?

And I am not saying that normal students should. If they don't like the situation, do something about it like athletes are.

Why do athletic departments constantly have to ask for HUGE donations to operate if they are in this billion dollar business? Simply looking at revenues means absolutely NOTHING!!!

And you think all that money is just pocketed? You know they spend money to make the players wanna be there too right? Whether it's facilities, coaches players want, other sports that aren't as popular to watch and root for but are just as important. The money is needed (not all, mind you. But then again the players already get excess from beyond just their tuition) to keep the university going. So basically just because person A is more athletically gifted than person B, that person A deserves more and person B should have to work twice as hard to stay afloat in college only to be in massive debt once they're done? Talk about labeling. Who knew genes still dictate someone's place in the world....

When the university makes close to a half a billion dollars off of one type of student over the course of 4 years and not the other based on an ability such as athleticism, then they get treated differently.

I compensate my salesmen better than my warehouse workers because one makes me money by selling my product and the other one doesn't.

• Fire 1