Baker Steinkuhler giving the NFL another go as an Offensive Lineman

I read somewhere on LJS earlier in the week, but for some reason can't find the article, that Baker Steinkuhler was taking another shot at the NFL this year as an Offensive Lineman. It was a brief, one-line mention in an article about this year's draft hopefuls for the skers.

Obviously he won't get drafted, but what do you guys think about his viability as an OL at the next level. Too little, too late? Or will he get a camp invite? Stick with a team? I'm as interested in monitoring his pro prospects as SJB, Taylor, and Quincy.

If he's healthy again I think he's got a good shot at making a squad. Baker has the build for OL. And certainly athletic enough. I think his main problem coming out of college was that he was pretty beat up with some nagging injuries that didn't have time to heal.

It was a necessary move. You saw how bad our D-line was exposed after he went down.

What do you mean? The defensive line was exposed repeatedly for a couple years while he was in there. Unless you're just talking about the Wisconsin CCG, which I thought had more to do with our Safeties?

I thought it was his decision to move to the DL. Something about not wanting to be constantly compared to his dad.

It was. But now that it's over and it seems that that decision didnt pan out as good as what playing OL is percieved, it's all Bo's fault. And Baker is now off the hook.

I thought it was his decision to move to the DL. Something about not wanting to be constantly compared to his dad.

It was. But now that it's over and it seems that that decision didnt pan out as good as what playing OL is percieved, it's all Bo's fault. And Baker is now off the hook.

Hadn't heard that before. But even if that wasn't the case, it made sense at the time. Our offense was pretty good but our defense was terrible. We needed help on the defensive side.

Hadn't heard that before. But even if that wasn't the case, it made sense at the time. Our offense was pretty good but our defense was terrible. We needed help on the defensive side.

I was mainly cracking a smartass joke. But I think the move was favored by both sides. And if I remember correctly, it was Baker that instigated the move. He was a blue chip, high profile OL prospect. I can imagine the staff wanted him anywhere other than OL first and foremost.

He was going to be compared to his father regardless of what position he played.

That's true. I do seem to remember it being his idea, though.

Or it might just be that Pelini foresaw that all his DT recruits for the next several years were going to be duds.

I just meant that he could have played safety and if he didn't achieve the level of accolades and notoriety that Dean did, everyone would have still compared the 2.