Cats: Boy's best friend

So...the minority cause problems and dogs should be banned? It's interesting how nobody here actually wants to address the real problem - humans. I suppose it's not a surprise, considering how many parents are completely unwilling to take any responsibility for the upbrining of their kids. What, your daughter is an ignorant bitch who went around whoring herself out at 14 and now carries every known STD in the world? It can't be that you're bad parents, it must be the school's fault! Durrr....

I agree with you 100% here when talking about kids...I could go on for days about this.

But, we are talking a dog...

I get what you are saying, that it is how they are raised but lets say they are raised by sh**ty owners...they get out and kill/attack a person...what then? Put the dog down and the owners?

Put the owners down and let the dog go free?

Put the dog down and let the owners go free?

I don't like them...I could not care less if they were all wiped out. The stupid owners too! haha

I agree with you 100% here when talking about kids...I could go on for days about this.

But, we are talking a dog...

There's no real difference between the kid and dog for the purposes of this conversation. While it's true that every dog, just like every kid, has its own personality, it's how they're raised that determines the majority their behavior toward others. You can't remove instinct altogether, but pitbulls are not naturally aggressive toward people to begin with - they're made so by mistreatment and mishandling from the owners.

You can't pigeonhole every attack into a cut and dry situation with just a few variables. If you go into someone's yard or house, don't know the dog, and the owner is not there, you have a real chance of getting bit by a large number of territorial breeds. That is a combination of the owner's fault (assuming you're there with their permission) for not knowing their breed and knowing it's a territorial dog, and your fault for being a dumbass and just assuming some strange dog isn't going to attack what it perceives as an intruder into its territory.

Attacks that are reported as unprovoked are often not so cut and dry when you actually examine what happened. Often either the people are just too stupid to realize what they did, or they're lying because they want to save face. Walking into a strange dog's home/yard without the owner around is provoking it, for instance.

So what should happen to dogs that attack a person? Well, it depends on the situation. In many cases the owner is at least partially at fault and should be fined and have the animal taken from them. I'd be fine with just killing the owners in many cases, but most people aren't. As for the dog, even pitbulls that have been trained to be vicious can be rescued and put into homes. Now, it can't be just any random family, it has to be people with some brains that actually know how to care for and train dogs (it's a continual process, you continually have to establish that YOU are the alpha with any dog, because they always test). In cases where the animal is deemed unable to be rescued, or nobody is willing to take it, then yes, it needs to be put down. Just like people that can't be trusted to be released back into society.

Pitbulls, like many other large, aggressive dogs (yes, there are plenty of breeds out there that, without proper care and training, will attack people or dogs and f#*k them up on occasion), need owners that understand the specifics of the breed and are willing and capable of raising and training them. Many pitbull owners do not fit that bill - most of them are trailer trash fuckheads that want a dog that looks mean. That's not the dog's fault...it's a human problem.

• Fire 1

So...the minority cause problems and dogs should be banned? It's interesting how nobody here actually wants to address the real problem - humans. I suppose it's not a surprise, considering how many parents are completely unwilling to take any responsibility for the upbrining of their kids. What, your daughter is an ignorant bitch who went around whoring herself out at 14 and now carries every known STD in the world? It can't be that you're bad parents, it must be the school's fault! Durrr....

I'm with ya Ebyl. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this (or any) breed of dog. It has everything to do with how they are socialized, treated, and raised. Sure some breeds have the ability to be more dangerous because of selective breeding traits but the problem is human beings not the breed of dog. My business partner has a rescued pit bull and it is the sweetest dog you could ever meet. I used to be fairly deep into obedience training dogs. I've seen a pretty wide ranging gamut of dogs and owners and the one thing I am sure of is, behavior problems in dogs are the fault of the owner or previous owners.

i have mixed feelings on the subject, but i tend to agree that generally humans are to blame. the problem with pit bulls is that when they do attack, they are so strong they can do real damage. i have owned dogs that unexpectedly lashed out, but it was never an issue because they were small and relatively harmless. if i owned a pit bull, i would have been in real trouble. although, i would have known i was the party at fault.

I'm with ya Ebyl. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this (or any) breed of dog. It has everything to do with how they are socialized, treated, and raised. Sure some breeds have the ability to be more dangerous because of selective breeding traits but the problem is human beings not the breed of dog. My business partner has a rescued pit bull and it is the sweetest dog you could ever meet. I used to be fairly deep into obedience training dogs. I've seen a pretty wide ranging gamut of dogs and owners and the one thing I am sure of is, behavior problems in dogs are the fault of the owner or previous owners.

See, I think that is the point. If the dog/animal has to be trained and handled so very well and with such care and precision, isn't that a problem?

I could make an argument that I could train a baby grizzly bear to be kind and gentle and caring...but would you want it around your family? What about a venomous snake? How about poisonous spiders and/or scorpions (All of which I had at one time when I worked in a pet shop and a few I had to purchase illegally)

So, if it is that big of a deal, why not only sell certain breeds to certain people? I can't fly a plane without lessons, why not do the same thing with certain dogs? I can't drive a car without passing a test...

So, if the "stupid" part are the owners, why not try to limit that "stupid" part? Seems like it would make sense.

Lets say you had to pass a 200 dollar "course" that lasted a total of 40 hours...would that cut back on the idiot owners? I would think so

I raised purebred Rots for a long time and they were the ones who carried that stigma for a while, now it is the Pit bull.

Like others have said here, the behavior is based upon how they were raised!