Bo Pelini: Eliminate Signing Day

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini has a solution to slow down the recruiting process: eliminate national signing day altogether and put greater accountability behind scholarship offers.

Pelini thinks high school players should be able to sign with teams as soon as they receive scholarship offers. If coaches choose to offer scholarships to freshmen and sophomores -- an increasingly common tactic -- they have to be prepared for those players to sign on for the distant future.

"If somebody has offered a kid, let him sign, it's over," Pelini told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "That will stop some of the things that are happening -- people just throwing out offers, some of them with really no intention of taking a kid."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/11032021/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-suggests-ending-national-signing-day

• Fire 3

"Things would slow down dramatically," Pelini said. "Some of these kids get 60 offers. Some of these people don't even know who a kid is. The whole thing gets watered down. There's no way some [team] can take that many guys."

can someone help me understand this? what is the current situation?... schools are over offering? what happens if a school over offers and the kid accepts? does that even happen? I dont know enough about this.

The SEC asks the kid to grey shirt.

A gray shirt refers to a player who commits to play for an NCAA division 1 football program, but agrees to pay his own way through school for a semester to preserve his eligibility. By paying his own tuition, he does not cost the school one of their limited scholarships.

Gray shirting occurs because schools often sign too many players to scholarships. A football team is allowed 25 scholarship players per year, and 85 total on the entire team. Because teams do not know in advance how many players that are offered scholarships will accept the offer, they typically offer more scholarships than they have available. If an unexpected number of players accept the scholarship offers, the school needs a way to mediate the oversigning.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-a-grey-shirt-in-college-football

A gray shirt refers to a player who commits to play for an NCAA division 1 football program, but agrees to pay his own way through school for a semester to preserve his eligibility. By paying his own tuition, he does not cost the school one of their limited scholarships.

Gray shirting occurs because schools often sign too many players to scholarships. A football team is allowed 25 scholarship players per year, and 85 total on the entire team. Because teams do not know in advance how many players that are offered scholarships will accept the offer, they typically offer more scholarships than they have available. If an unexpected number of players accept the scholarship offers, the school needs a way to mediate the oversigning.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-a-grey-shirt-in-college-football

gotcha... had a feeling it had to do with gray sh#ts. yeah thats ridiculous. you've got hypebeast guys that would sell their soul to grey shirt for a school like alabama, only because the name turns heads.

Or they ask the commit to find elsewhere to go as someone better than him took his spot, often late in the recruiting cycle.

also ridiculous... before you know it theres gonna be major league and minor league schools with affiliation like baseball teams. lol maybe not but, dam.

"Things would slow down dramatically," Pelini said. "Some of these kids get 60 offers. Some of these people don't even know who a kid is. The whole thing gets watered down. There's no way some [team] can take that many guys."

can someone help me understand this? what is the current situation?... schools are over offering? what happens if a school over offers and the kid accepts? does that even happen? I dont know enough about this.

Per Rivals Nebraska has already offered 205 kids for the 2015 class, 65% of the way to our 2014 # of 307, which was 30% higher than the previous year - and currently includes 37% of the 6.0+ kids, of which there are only 63. Do you think the coaches "know" who these kids are better than the other schools with 200 offers out there?

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

Per Rivals Nebraska has already offered 205 kids for the 2015 class, 65% of the way to our 2014 # of 307, which was 30% higher than the previous year - and currently includes 37% of the 6.0+ kids, of which there are only 63. Do you think the coaches "know" who these kids are better than the other schools with 200 offers out there?

I get your point, but that is making Bo's point. Bo has to do the same as every other school or he will fall behind.

• Fire 5

I get your point, but that is making Bo's point. Bo has to do the same as every other school or he will fall behind.

Exactly. Status quo.

I don't disagree, but his statement implied that "some of the people don't even know these kids". Well Nebraska is one of the WORST offenders when it comes to a huge number of offers. Do they somehow know them better than every other school with less offers? And it takes about 4 posts before someone starts bashing the SEC. Well newsflash, Nebraska would be one of the worst in the SEC as well. Here's some notable B1G teams, along with the entire SEC as of the time of his statement.

Illinois - 242
Wisconsin - 234
Nebraska - 205
Ohio State - 188
Penn State - 130
MSU - 123
Michigan - 100
Northwestern - 98
Iowa - 89
Tennesee - 268
Kentucky - 247
Miss St - 238