BTN Picks Top B1G RBs

Our #BigTen reporters are breaking down the conf. by position. Today, it's the #RB spot. http://on.scout.com/xIU5J pic.twitter.com/h9LKxfKIQ8

BpepTkHIMAEl2zb.jpg

2.) Sr. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska: 48 points (4 first-place votes)

Abdullah was the model of constancy in 2013, rushing for over 100 yards in 11 of 13 contests. After earning third-team All-American honors last season, Abdullah tested the NFL waters by getting his draft grade from the NFL Advisory Committee. Eventually the Alabama native decided to return. If Abdullah can duplicate his 2013 season and the Huskers slightly improve record wise, there is a chance the senior will be a Heisman finalist.

2013 stats: 1,690 yards and nine touchdowns on 281 carries. Also had 26 receptions for 232 yards and two scores.

Link

• Fire 1

Don't get me wrong. Melvin Gordon is an OUTSTANDING running back.

I still would take Abdullah every day of the week. I don't want to know what Abdullah could do with the kind of blocking Gordon consistently gets.

Not to mention that pass protection and catching out of the backfield that AA is asked to do that Gordon isn't tasked with.

I think Adbullah is the best back in the Big Ten by far. He's the only guy I saw last year that made MSU's stellar rush defense look vulnerable at times.

I tend to think Wiscy RBs are overrated in terms of individual talent. I think their success has a lot more to do with their offensive lines. Also, the sheer number of carries they get will of course lead to big time numbers.

• Fire 1

I think Adbullah is the best back in the Big Ten by far. He's the only guy I saw last year that made MSU's stellar rush defense look vulnerable at times.

I tend to think Wiscy RBs are overrated in terms of individual talent. I think their success has a lot more to do with their offensive lines. Also, the sheer number of carries they get will of course lead to big time numbers.

I used to go along with this argument, but overtime, I've grown to disagree with it. A lot of running backs are only as good as their offensive lines allow them to be. This same argument could be said about a lot of Husker running backs dating to the the later decades of the 20th century. I do think Abdullah would have better numbers if he ran behind a better line, but it's too hypothetical for me.

Plus, Wisconsin ran for more yards on fewer carries last year, so the more carries argument doesn't hold a lot of water.

I've seen lots of great backs emerge despite a lack of elite offensive line play. Leshoure out of Illinois a few years ago, Le'Veon Bell at MSU, Abdullah, Cobb out of Minnesota, the list goes on.

Wisky has two or three good to great backs every year, but they rarely go on to do anything in the NFL, which tells me their success is more about the system and the lines they run behind. And there's nothing wrong with that, I'd rather have team production than have to rely on individual talent.

But if the discussion is most talented RB in the B1G, I'm hesitant to say it's Gordon.

• Fire 3

I still would take Abdullah every day of the week. I don't want to know what Abdullah could do with the kind of blocking Gordon consistently gets.

I would love to know what Abdullah could do with a line like that.

Murder defenses even harder?

You know, there were comments made the other day about appreciating greatness while you witness it rather than after the fact. I wonder if we Husker fans realize what a good one we have right now back there for us. AA is a beast. I think we saw a guy capable of putting the team on his back last year. The fact that Nebraska won 9 games after losing their starting QB and All-American offensive linemen Spencer Long might deserve more credit than given. Ameer played a huge part in salvaging our season. This year, let's hope he doesn't have to put the team on his back. I hope he has fun, gets a ton of carries, a ton of yards and a ton of touchdowns. Not because he feels the pressure of us "needing" him to do so, but because this offense goes out there, executes, has fun, and AA kicking butt should simply be a result of that. His senior year should be special and I wish this guy nothing but the best in the future.

• Fire 2

I would love to know what Abdullah could do with a line like that.

We might be able to see it this year. We will have a nasty OL, just hope they can work as "one".

You know, there were comments made the other day about appreciating greatness while you witness it rather than after the fact. I wonder if we Husker fans realize what a good one we have right now back there for us. AA is a beast. I think we saw a guy capable of putting the team on his back last year. The fact that Nebraska won 9 games after losing their starting QB and All-American offensive linemen Spencer Long might deserve more credit than given. Ameer played a huge part in salvaging our season. This year, let's hope he doesn't have to put the team on his back. I hope he has fun, gets a ton of carries, a ton of yards and a ton of touchdowns. Not because he feels the pressure of us "needing" him to do so, but because this offense goes out there, executes, has fun, and AA kicking butt should simply be a result of that. His senior year should be special and I wish this guy nothing but the best in the future.

Couldn't be said any more perfect brotha!!! You can kiss that Northwestern game goodbye if it wasn't for Abdullah putting us in the position that we were in. No first down on the 4th down conversion, who knows how our season would've ended.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really tempted to join you with the Gordon pick, as he's the nation's top big-play back -- a must-see every time he touches the ball. But I'm going with Abdullah for several reasons. He was the more consistent back in 2013, eclipsing 100 rushing yards in 11 of 13 games. Gordon got there eight times, but only twice in Wisconsin's final six games. White had a lot to do with that and he's not in Madison anymore, but I think the Badgers will have a tough time keeping Clement off the field.

That gets me to my second point. Although Clement and Nebraska's Imani Cross both are talented backups, I give Clement the edge. If he builds on a strong spring, I don't see Gordon logging more than 260 carries. The big-play factor could put Gordon ahead of Abdullah, but Abdullah should log more carries again. Abdullah is hardly a plodder, averaging 5.4 yards per carry in his career and six yards per carry last season. Only two Big Ten teams (Michigan and Iowa) held him to fewer than five yards per rush.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=102191