Two-Back Set

Redman

I keep hearing rumors that BC may use more 2 back sets next year. Many that I talk to think he should. This would make more use of players like Lucky, B Jackson, Glenn, and/or L. Jackson, possibly Kenny Wilson or even Thenarse. It would also give Taylor an extra blocker in the backfield. Is there anything to these rumors? What do you all think?

He ran a two back set a few times this year with both Glenn and Lucky in the game. He ran the fullback dive with Glenn, and that fake dive, pitch out to Lucky a few times, and the rest of the time Lucky split out wide. With the loss of our feature back and three or four very talented, though relatively inexperienced backs, it would make alot of sense to do more of that..

I agree with the blocking concept...unless we get a rb who can pick up the blitz on passing downs, we will struggle offensively all year...

I know that everyone is excited about next years potential, but the o-line needs to block and somewhere a rb has to block like Ross did...

I don't mind the 2-back set.... I would expect to see a lot of motion to slot and motion at the snap of the ball with this method though..... it is unlike BC to just load up the backfield and go.

USC runs it 80% of the time. What Nebraska and USC are doing is a carbon copy of each other, except USC is loaded with more talent right now.

<formerfan dusts off obscure 5 year old article with Carson Palmer supposedly saying USC doesn't use the WCO>

Brace yourself :thumbs

Thank you I was waiting.

If you run a two back set doesnt that take away a receiver?

USC runs it 80% of the time. What Nebraska and USC are doing is a carbon copy of each other, except USC is loaded with more talent right now.

<formerfan dusts off obscure 5 year old article with Carson Palmer supposedly saying USC doesn't use the WCO>

Brace yourself :thumbs

Thank you I was waiting.

If you run a two back set doesnt that take away a receiver?

In a sense. It is a formation similar to the wishbone, minus the fullback. The fullback spot is exchanged for a WR or TE.

- 2 backs

- QB

- Center

- 2 OG, 2 OT

- 3 WR, or 2 WR and 1 TE

both backs have the option of being used as receivers. They can be used to stay and pass block, the QB can hand-off or pitch to one back and the other can block (similar to a full back), they can also both leave the backfield and become receivers, there are many possibilities all run from a single formation. It can be quite difficult for a defense to defend.

This is my understanding (mind you, I am still reading up on it). If anyone can explain it better, please do so.

I like this idea.  I think that a lot of offenses similar to the one that Nebraska runs has always had success with this set (USC being the most obvious)

Auburn runs a 2 back set as well. Well they did when they had Carnell Williams and Ronnie brown 2 years ago. Both were first round top 5 round picks like Bush and Lendale White most likely this season

I see a roation of Todd, Glenn and Lucky as starters; 2 backs at one time. Lucky, as Mr Outside, would be able to line up split or H-back with Glenn, Mr Inside, in the I set. Or Todd at FB with Glenn as I-back. Todd is not an excellent route runner/receiver, but more of a blocker. With NFL teams they have their FB doing more in route running and with speed to block on sweeps.

I think that pulling guards are the key to our running game. What do you think?

I guess Carson Palmer is the end all be all on what is and isn't a "West Coast" offense?

Not sure about that, but when he played in Paul Hackett's "West Coast Offense" and in Norm Chow's (whatever it is they call it) I'm sure he has a better idea than, well, any of us. No??

I'm sure Ross and Billy C. have a better idea then, well, any of us on how similar the two offenses are. No??

Anyway back to the topic. Wouldn't a two back set be like a split back pro style offense? If that is the case Bush and White were hardly ever in the backfield at the sametime. The games I watched if White was in then Bush was split out. If Bush was the RB then White was on the bench. I don't thank having Glenn at FB and Lucky at IB is a true two back set. Wouldn't that still be the I-Formation? I would say what Auburn ran last year would be more like it. Even though there were times Brown lined as FB or Flanker. Any how the more we can get the Playmakers on the field the better.

Agreed.  Ive never had the distinction of taking a Super Bowl built team loaded with All-Pro players from first to worst, and Ive never taken a program that is legendary in winning status, one that returned the majority of its starters from a 10-3 team to its first losing season in decades.

Here we go again. You keep insinuating that the Oakland team that Callahan took the Super Bowl was destined to go there because of their unbelievable talent. I don't agree. I think that Callahan took an aged past-their-prime team to the SuperBowl. Yeah, yeah....all those all-pros. I don't buy it.

Oh, back to the topic at hand. I hope that we use the two back set more often. We have such talented group of young backs and our offensive line could really use the additional back for blocking those blitzing schemes. If you watched the Alamo Bowl, Michigan ran alot of linebacker or interior blitzes that no one picked-up and Taylor had like a millisecond to get the ball off.