If players were paid, are you as big of fan?

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the payout only amounts to something like $2 million or less, I would have to track down where I read the estimates. Remember we are only talking a couple grand per athlete.

About $1M per year for UNL.

You honestly think the players are going to be happy with a couple thousand per year? Really???

The scholarship is worth a hell of a lot more than that. So is what being a "Former Husker" or whatever school they attend, will do for them the rest of their lives. What do you think they are going to do? Pay them hundreds of thousands per player? Even pay? QBs and 'One and Done' Basketball players get more? You can't just pay the revenue sports, Title IX prevents that, so its everyone. This will never become a pro-style pay system where the players get half the tv money. Televised college sports will vanish first.

I think the payout only amounts to something like $2 million or less, I would have to track down where I read the estimates. Remember we are only talking a couple grand per athlete.

You honestly think the players are going to be happy with a couple thousand per year? Really???
Not what I think. What Eichorst estimated:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/power-conference-autonomy-may-be-million-dollar-idea-at-nebraska/article_fb815195-f752-523d-b590-d2d9ca65df37.html?mode=jqm

The scholarship is worth a hell of a lot more than that. So is what being a "Former Husker" or whatever school they attend, will do for them the rest of their lives. What do you think they are going to do? Pay them hundreds of thousands per player? Even pay? QBs and 'One and Done' Basketball players get more? You can't just pay the revenue sports, Title IX prevents that, so its everyone. This will never become a pro-style pay system where the players get half the tv money. Televised college sports will vanish first.

Playoffs, paid players? sounds pretty much like the damned NFL to me.

You think the players aren't going to unionize and act just like the NFL/NBA players union? If not you're deluding yourself. You really think you're going to sell a bunch of kids on a few thousand dollars a year? Especially when ESPN's been hyping this great injustice to millions of morons who just hear "billion dollar tv deal, players get nothing." Or t he incalculable post college benefits of being a husker? Who does that work out for anyways, sure star players like Suh or Frazier can get plenty of support around Nebraska but you can't tell me that is the case for a majority of them.

In short, the day I turn college football off for good is the day they start paying players. Will I stop being a husker? no, because as far as I am concerned that was an association formed at birth and for life, but I won't be following them, or adding eyes to game ads.

If I were to fix it I'd I would maybe put in a stipulation that all scholarship players are not eligable for the NFL draft. Burn the NFL's talent pipeline to the ground, kill their idiotic "draft/offseason hype machine" and make them create their own farm system for 18 year olds that want money. Then I would still watch my college football, with less idiotic and entitled primadonna 18 year olds, it'd be the best of both worlds. I don't give a crap about who the players are I like the college team and the amatuer aspect of the sport. I suspect the smart ones would still end up in college.

• Fire 1

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/jeremy-fowler/24599229/college-football-players-paid-to-work-camps----problem-in-the-making?v=1&vc=1

This summer, for the first time, active college football players can receive payment to work their schools' summer camps, thanks to newly enacted NCAA legislation.

The NCAA is allowing schools to pay current student-athletes a figure consistent with the going rate for guest coaches, which fluctuates but can command close to $20 per hour depending on the school.

The players are employed to do the things summer camp coaches do: they might be teaching the game to 10-year-olds, organizing drills for high schoolers or even coaching a 7-on-7 workout.

Well I guess there is a few people in this thread who aren't going to watch college football anymore, players are being compensated for something.

I appreciate all the votes and comments. (It is by far my most successful post on Huskerboard!!!)

I am unsure how this would influence my fandom as well. Like many of you, I cannot fathom a world where I am not a Husker fan. I have an obsession with this team that can only be explained to other born Nebraskans. However, if the payment went beyond just a "make it even" kind of payment I think it would bother me, These guys can't get a job in the offseason to pay for food. Something has to be done about that. However, I am a former college athlete who was injured, lost his scholarships as a senior, and is still payinge off his student loans. I get the other side of this argument.

Tough to take a side here......

I put "yes" only because it's possible. I think the more appropriate statement would be that my attitude towards being a fan would change. I probably would have more of an opinion of...."Hey...we are paying you to be here and play football. Perform at your highest level or be gone and we will find someone else." I don't have that attitude towards college players now.

The suggested money for college football players to earn is a mere pittance to what NFL players get. Hypothetically speaking, if a Husker player is getting a few extra grand per month from the school to play here, that wouldn't have much impact on my views of their performance. Compare that to the NFL guy making millions of dollars a year, but, keeps dropping passes. I may be in the minority, but, the two are very different IMHO.

I certainly agree with others who say this won't fix the under-the-table dealing we already have going on. If everybody is getting paid, but, you can get paid a little extra to go to a different place, then the different university still looks more appealing if finances are a big concern.

Overall, paying the players a few extra thousand dollars wouldn't affect my interest in the team or the way I critique them. Unless they're making tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars, they're still amateur athletes going to college in my view.

way more than just a student.....student athletes get paid, students don't......now you have created a new privileged class of student.

Kinda confused by this post. Not sure if it's in agreement or disagreement with what I said.

In the meantime, one could already argue a student-athlete (specifically, the football athlete) is already a privileged class of student with all the great benefits they receive. Obviously, there's a reason they get them and that's because of their athletic abilities, so I'm not saying they don't deserve the privileges.