If players were paid, are you as big of fan?

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I put "yes" only because it's possible. I think the more appropriate statement would be that my attitude towards being a fan would change. I probably would have more of an opinion of...."Hey...we are paying you to be here and play football. Perform at your highest level or be gone and we will find someone else." I don't have that attitude towards college players now.

• Fire 1

I put "yes" only because it's possible. I think the more appropriate statement would be that my attitude towards being a fan would change. I probably would have more of an opinion of...."Hey...we are paying you to be here and play football. Perform at your highest level or be gone and we will find someone else." I don't have that attitude towards college players now.

That, I do agree with.

I am just going to take a wild stab at it, but I am guessing that $trinfellow would still be committed to us instead of Ole Mi$$

So lets say both NU and Ole Miss legally paid players the same amount. But then the Ole Miss coach offers Stringfellow $1000 under the table. Do you think he is still committed to NU?

Nope.

I answered 'yes' assuming you meant under-the-table kind of pay at Nebraska. If it's above board and official I think the greater worry I'd have would be how college football changes overall in that scenario. If it doesn't, I guess I wouldn't care too much.

I mean...I guess we already don't care too much about all this bag men stuff already. Mostly I'm turning a blind eye because when I think about it, it leaves a really bad taste.

If paying players is allowed, then that *should* cut down on the under-the-table stuff . . . or at least I would HOPE. The idea of easy money just for showing up to practice as opposed to getting caught taking extra scratch somewhere else might (but for sure definitely won't) make players think twice.

That said I'm still weirdly dead-set against schools paying players. I could be persuaded on some sort of trust fund that the player can access only if they graduate.

But I absolutely think they should be able to independently license their name/likeness/what have you like Olympic athletes can. Even if that means Joe Whoever for Nebraska making a deal with the university so that it means the Big Red Shop can sell a #25 jersey with the name "Whoever" on it.

Why would this make anyone more or less of a Husker fan?

I would still love NU and cheer for the Huskers all the same. That's where I grew up. That's where I went to school. Nothing will ever change that.

But this sort of development would dampen my interest in sports in general. I like sports because of fair competition, the human drama, thrill of victory/agony of defeat, and sportsmanship. I would hope to use sports to help teach my children about sportsmanship, fairness, and hard work, and amateur athletics is supposed to embody this, and college sports are supposed to provide educational opportunities and pride/cameraderie for a university.

Paying people to play, and bidding for their services, sullies all of that in my mind, and it makes it harder to look at sports as a model for honest sportsmanship.

• Fire 6