What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

You're drawing very strange conclusions. The data in the article is incredibly clear. Odd-year voting and Non-partisan ballots decrease voter turnout and decreaase knowledge about the candidates, an effect that occurs disproportionately with income and educational status, which have a big correlation with race, unfortunately. You want really-indepth details? There's tons of peer-reviewed research out there with more info.

Let me ask you a simple question, do you think that it is better to hold elections in even years or odd years based on this data? And no, you cannot say "It's irrelevant," you must choose one.

Off-year elections are a good idea for municipal elections precisely because it is desirable for the electorate to know something about the people they're voting for. This spring, I spent probably 2 hours going through the various World-Herald election stories that I saved so I could get my primary ballot for things like the Westside school board, MCC Board of Regents, etc right. Voters who do that are rare enough, how many do you think would do it if we had a presidential campaign raging, sucking up all the oxygen and air time?

There is no tax for people to pay to vote. Early voting ballots are widely available, they'll even mail them out if you request them to. There is no good excuse to not vote. Labeling off-year elections implicitly racist because 19/20 blacks (as opposed to 17/20 whites) can't be bothered to exercise a key Constitutional right is ridiculous.

Oh my.

I don't understand the "oh my" here. This makes perfect sense. As far as people having trouble with non-partisan elections, this conveys more of a lazy/straight-ticket attitude to me.

• Fire 3

I'm more concerned that Luke is advocating that you be at a certain level of education in order to vote which directly contradicts democracy while simultaneously admits that the odd-year system as it is set up prevents so-called uneducated voters from voting. Democracy! Murica!

Don't worry, I'm all for educating the voting base. That's a good idea. But I'm not championing the idea that it's better that the so-called uneducated don't vote. Disgusting.

Where the f#ck did you pull that out of?

I think I mistook you on part of this, and I apologize.

I still don't agree with you though on some points, obviously the ignorance about what constitutes a barrier to voting - anything, no matter how trivial, can be a barrier (see: the Voter ID idiocy). Anyways, I get what you're saying about a Presidential election stealing the oxygen, but that's exactly why Presidential years bring the highest turnout and participation in democracy. Politics are more in the forefront, therefore people feel a greater need to get involved, educate themselves more, and most importantly, actually vote more. And increasing voter turnout is obviously like THE number one goal in a democracy, and should be a huge goal in helping to get African-Americans on equal footing in this country.

I don't understand the "oh my" here.

We know

In the post just above this, you admit you misunderstood some of Luke's post. Then, you act all smarty when someone asks why you said this? :dunno

I mean, we know what the deal is by this point. The proponents who are most "against" racism are actually the biggest proponents for it as they continue to point to perceived deficiencies as opposed to coming up with real ways to help the community in question. It's tired and cliche, but hey; that's what they are!

• Fire 1

I mean, we know what the deal is by this point. The proponents who are most "against" racism are actually the biggest proponents for it as they continue to point to perceived deficiencies as opposed to coming up with real ways to help the community in question. It's tired and cliche, but hey; that's what they are!

Really now? How much evidence do you need? I guess I'm being a proponent for racism by pointing out ways that African-Americans are not on equal standing in America and ways to fix it?

Really now? How much evidence do you need? I guess I'm being a proponent for racism by pointing out ways that African-Americans are not on equal standing in America and ways to fix it?

Do tell..

tl;dr the biggest reason for blacks not advancing is white people insisting that they don't have any need to advance because they're right here with us

I'm interested in who is saying that.

Well you could either watch Fox News for 10 minutes as an example or you could understand the distinction between explicit racism and implicit, institutionalized oppression which exists but doesn't play out as simply and obviously as someone actually saying, they don't have any need to advance because they're right here with us". I'd recommend both.

• Fire 1

tl;dr the biggest reason for blacks not advancing is white people insisting that they don't have any need to advance because they're right here with us

I'm interested in who is saying that.

Well you could either watch Fox News for 10 minutes as an example or you could understand the distinction between explicit racism and implicit, institutionalized oppression which exists but doesn't play out as simply and obviously as someone actually saying, they don't have any need to advance because they're right here with us". I'd recommend both.

So what reason would society have for doing this?

I think that your pointing out deficiencies and then giving a pass because that is how a particular group has been perceived and/or affected over time without offering ways to lift the group is concerning.

Changing the voting year isn't instilling greater civic duty or the sense of a responsibility to vote. Requiring that party affiliation be placed in front of a candidates name is not encouraging further personal candidate research. Taking the easy way out and using race as an excuse can be construed as having a sense that there is some kind of racial inferiority.

I also want to highly stress that I would never allege that someone is or is not a racist and these are my observations.

• Fire 3