When Should "Dad-Coaches" Stop Coaching Their Kids

I personally feel that the dad-coach needs to "retire" form coaching when their son/daughter hits middle school/Junior High...Now that is assuming that the kids school has coaches. If the school doesn't have coaches that is a different story.

What do you guys think?

Depends on how capable of a job the dad-coach is doing. It's not unheard of for successful dad-coaches to take over a club team or help out a Middle School/Jr. High or High School program in Texass.

Also depends on the sport and sex of the child, IMHO.

I personally feel that the dad-coach needs to "retire" form coaching when their son/daughter hits middle school/Junior High...Now that is assuming that the kids school has coaches. If the school doesn't have coaches that is a different story.

What do you guys think?

Depends on how capable of a job the dad-coach is doing. It's not unheard of for successful dad-coaches to take over a club team or help out a Middle School/Jr. High or High School program in Texass.

Also depends on the sport and sex of the child, IMHO.

Oh, I totally agree that it depends on the sport.

My son is still pretty young and new into sports but I have coached him in flag football, T-ball, floor hockey, and now 2 years of baseball. He is playing another year of flag football and I have said that I am going to step away for a year or 2 because I think he needs a new voice and he needs to be taught how to listen to coaches when Dad isn't standing right there.

I will probably go back to it in a couple of years once my twins are old enough to play but for now, it seemed like the right time.

It's also nice when there are multiple coaches on a team. This way when you split in groups and work on drills you are not always directly coaching your child. My children love when I am involved but often times I will tell them how to do something with little results and another parent will tell them the same thing and it works out great.

• Fire 1

Unless the Dad is in the school system as a teacher/coach. Then I say after 8th Grade, its time to let the child be coached by his coaches at the school. But, again like some have said, it kind of depends on the sport.

I agree with this. If you can't help it, don't leave because your kid is coming through.

Although, I'd hate to be saddled with the whole "if I play my kid because he's the best, other parents may still think I'm playing him bc he's my kid" mess.

Unless the Dad is in the school system as a teacher/coach. Then I say after 8th Grade, its time to let the child be coached by his coaches at the school. But, again like some have said, it kind of depends on the sport.

Spoken like a true coach!

I would say the second there is a teacher/coach is when the dad's need to leave...but I think 7th grade is the perfect cutoff...Your kid doesn't want you around and the head coach doesn't want you bugging him.

If the dad can separate being a parent from a coach, it is fine. When your son calls you dad on the field and you treat him differently from the other kids on the team, its a problem. I have two fathers helping me coach. One is the former and one is the latter. You can probably guess which one gives me the most trouble with the other parents on the team. Lets just say I get no less than two complaints about him a week from parents. Thank God hes taking his son to another team next season.

If you cant step away from fatherhood for 2-3 hours and treat each player no differently then you'd treat your own son, you have no business coaching. After the game/practice, be a dad. During, every player is equal.

If the dad can separate being a parent from a coach, it is fine. When your son calls you dad on the field and you treat him differently from the other kids on the team, its a problem. I have two fathers helping me coach. One is the former and one is the latter. You can probably guess which one gives me the most trouble with the other parents on the team. Lets just say I get no less than two complaints about him a week from parents. Thank God hes taking his son to another team next season.

If you cant step away from fatherhood for 2-3 hours and treat each player no differently then you'd treat your own son, you have no business coaching. After the game/practice, be a dad. During, every player is equal.

I know exactly what you are talking about!

Mix in the dad coaches that want to do things "their" way and you have a recipe for a long horrible season