Millennials: Is the Right On the Way Out?

Countering much conventional wisdom and beltway pontificating, findings from our Millennials survey reveal the degree to which many young voters continue to offer significant electoral opportunities for Democrats and for policy advocates on a host of progressive issues if they are engaged in a sustainable way. That said, Millennials should not be taken for granted. They will not turnout this year in the numbers Democrats want (or need) without a serious investment in outreach programs. But given the natural convergence of interests between Millennials and Democrats, a strategic and data-driven messaging and get-out-the-vote plan has the potential to pay big dividends and make the difference for Democrats in November.

Such efforts to engage, motivate, and turn out Millennials in 2014 will profoundly impact the 2016 election and beyond. As the Millennial electorate swells in the years to come and progressive young adults choose the party that best shares their values and issue stands, these young Americans become more participatory in the democratic process and more loyal to the Democratic Party. Such forces will shape not only their generation but also America's agenda and future.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-hanauer/millennial-politics-right-dilemma_b_5358589.html

Interesting article from HuffPost. Unless the Republicans can find a way to create an alignment with Millennial voters, their party could go the way of the dodo in the near future as more and more Millennials enter into the democratic process. I think the time will come where we see a Democrat President who has a Democrat Congress where this nation could make great strides forwards. Curious to hear your guys's thoughts on the matter.

Countering much conventional wisdom and beltway pontificating, findings from our Millennials survey reveal the degree to which many young voters continue to offer significant electoral opportunities for Democrats and for policy advocates on a host of progressive issues if they are engaged in a sustainable way. That said, Millennials should not be taken for granted. They will not turnout this year in the numbers Democrats want (or need) without a serious investment in outreach programs. But given the natural convergence of interests between Millennials and Democrats, a strategic and data-driven messaging and get-out-the-vote plan has the potential to pay big dividends and make the difference for Democrats in November.

Such efforts to engage, motivate, and turn out Millennials in 2014 will profoundly impact the 2016 election and beyond. As the Millennial electorate swells in the years to come and progressive young adults choose the party that best shares their values and issue stands, these young Americans become more participatory in the democratic process and more loyal to the Democratic Party. Such forces will shape not only their generation but also America's agenda and future.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-hanauer/millennial-politics-right-dilemma_b_5358589.html

Interesting article from HuffPost. Unless the Republicans can find a way to create an alignment with Millennial voters, their party could go the way of the dodo in the near future as more and more Millennials enter into the democratic process. I think the time will come where we see a Democrat President who has a Democrat Congress where this nation could make great strides forwards. Curious to hear your guys's thoughts on the matter.

Explain this relationship, please. Also, what is your definition of "great strides forward"?

Short answer: I don't think so. Certain changes are absolutely going to happen, particularly the Religious Right and social conservatism are going to continue to lose influence (and that's great for religion, America, and the Republican Party), but that doesn't mean conservatism generally is going to be history. Ever since World War II, once a party wins two presidential elections in a row, people start breathlessly wondering "does this mean a permanent _____________ majority?!" only to have that party lose 4 or 8 years later.

Looking to the future, here's my data-based rebuttal, courtesy of Pew. The two youngest groups they found (representing roughly 1 in 4 registered voters) were the Young Outsiders and the Next Generation Left. While one leans Republican and the other Democrat, they have some interesting convergences:

In favor of Gay Marriage:

YO: 68%

NGL: 78%

General Population: 54%

Steadfast Conservatives: 12%

In favor of legalized abortion:

YO: 58%

NGL: 71%

GP: 51%

SC: 24%

So, the next generation of voters are well to the left of present day consensus on social issues.

Role of Government/Aid to poor:

Government is doing too much:

YO: 66%

NGL: 50%

Strong Liberals: 20%

Government can't afford to do more to help the needy:

YO: 76%

NGL: 56%

SL: 12%

People are poor due to lack of effort:

YO: 56%

NGL: 42%

GP: 39%

SL: 9%

Most can get ahead if willing to work hard:

YO: 76%

NGL: 77%

GP: 65%

SL: 29%

In short, not only is the future base of the Democratic Party to the right of 'solid liberals' on the proper role of government, it's to the right of the American people generally. Speculation: the Millennial Generation is possibly the most individualistic generation to live in this highly individualistic country. Individualism is a sword that cuts both ways: libertarian positions on moral issues that thrill the American left now will madden them in other areas as smaller government types start to play a larger role in the Democratic Party.

Edit - Added in the responses from 'Steadfast Conservatives' and 'Solid Liberals' to underline the divides between the current and future party bases.

I wouldn't agree with the 'smaller government' statements as a blanket. People tend to like the sound of 'smaller government' but tend to actually want the services and protections it provides, when asked about more specific issues and tasks.

And even inside some issues there is so much nuance, and what counts as gov involvement.

I think you would also find that the younger generation is very much for a single payer healthcare system, as the belief that healthcare is a human right is growing, particularly among the young.

But social conservatism, and the idea that religion has a place in public policy, is most certainly having the nails driven into the coffin.

• Fire 1

Young people tend to move to the right as they get older and actually have to live in the real world (as opposed to academia) so unless something changes with that the answer is no. Im ok with the social conservative rinos disappearing.

First, can you actually verify that this is true in the present time (or at all)? Your father's Republican party has already gone he way of the dodo. They have no policies of substance on offer, largely because the modern right is nothing but a deranged pack of reality denying morons fed by an even crazier armada of hysterics in the media.

Second, in academia there is a lot of talk about things like equality under the law, human and civil rights, climate change, verifiable research and discovery in just about anything you can think of, etc. Is this juxtaposed with your idea of the "real world?" Can you illuminate the difference for me?

Churchill said it.

Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.

Winston Churchill

I'm glad we have to retreat to the 1940s to get a definition of liberal and conservative. As if today's "conservatives" hold anything in common with the founders or the so-called Greatest Generation.

Explain this relationship, please. Also, what is your definition of "great strides forward"?

It's rather my own slanted interpretation of things as I am a Democrat and ultimately sick of the GOP. So when I say great strides forward I mean in social issues such as abortion, gay rights, women's rights, health care (although that might be more of a fiscal issue), etc... Right now, there's simply no way that Congress makes any progress on any issues because the minority party is going to extreme lengths to not budge--to not even compromise. So, and this is rather unfortunate, the only way change can happen (and remember this change would be good in my slanted view) is if there is unanimity in both the Presidency and Congress.

What strides need to be made on abortion?

Liberals want to be able kill babies anytime, any restriction on abortion is an attack on women.

Clearly. And the right only cares about kids as long as they are in the womb. Once they are out they can fend for themselves. Amiright?

• Fire 1

As for the original question.

There will always be a place in American politics for liberal and conservative views. The right will always be there just like the left will always be there.

Right now the right extremes are raising their ugly head. This allows the left to gain support while appearing very moderate.

At some point that will flip. It always does.

The left will get really cocky at some point and the left extremes will become even more emboldened and the moderate right will gain more power.

Having both the conservative and liberal voice in politics is a good thing.

• Fire 1