Tim Beck Q&A: What to expect from Nebraska

http://btn.com/2014/07/08/tim-beck-qa-what-to-expect-from-nebraska-in-2014/

Q: What type of run-pass ratio would you like?

A: We have been a run-first team and have been for a long time. Id like to be more balanced than we are. Sometimes we get leads and settle in and maybe I get a little conservative.

Q: What will you miss most about Taylor Martinez?

A: His big-play ability, no question about it. He could go to the house any time. That will be missed by us. Ameer, Kenny, Jamal, Newby, they have the ability to be that kind of player. Id like us to be more consistent, get five-, six-yard chunks in 10-, 12-play drives. Teams will dare us to pass. I know that. But thats OK. Tommy has to show people he can do it. If we are calling it right, things will be OK

Like I said in one of the other Beck threads I bet we end up somewhere around a 55/45 split on run/pass this year, it was 60/40 in 2013. That's not necessarily a bad thing if Armstrong can hit the open seams.

Like I said in one of the other Beck threads I bet we end up somewhere around a 55/45 split on run/pass this year, it was 60/40 in 2013. That's not necessarily a bad thing if Armstrong can hit the open seams.

What's the site that removes the garbage time and blowouts from stats? I wonder what our split is when we aren't losing by 20 or grinding out the clock for 3 drives at the end of the game.

A: We have been a run-first team and have been for a long time. Id like to be more balanced than we are. Sometimes we get leads and settle in and maybe I get a little conservative.Q: What will you miss most about Taylor Martinez?

A: His big-play ability, no question about it. He could go to the house any time. That will be missed by us. Ameer, Kenny, Jamal, Newby, they have the ability to be that kind of player. Id like us to be more consistent, get five-, six-yard chunks in 10-, 12-play drives. Teams will dare us to pass. I know that. But thats OK. Tommy has to show people he can do it. If we are calling it right, things will be OK

Unfortunately, if last year was any indication, TA probably won't.

It just baffles me that Beck would call more passes with a worse passing QB. But maybe that has to do with the fact that he relied on Taylor's legs too much, and TA will never have that ability.

Unless TA makes huge strides or Stanton takes the job, we're pretty well screwed this upcoming season.

• Fire 1

A: We have been a run-first team and have been for a long time. Id like to be more balanced than we are. Sometimes we get leads and settle in and maybe I get a little conservative.Q: What will you miss most about Taylor Martinez?

It just baffles me that Beck would call more passes with a worse passing QB. But maybe that has to do with the fact that he relied on Taylor's legs too much, and TA will never have that ability.

Unless TA makes huge strides or Stanton takes the job, we're pretty well screwed this upcoming season.

not that Taylor was ever a good passer, because he was not....but TA will be a little goosey as well, i see it run 65 and pass 35....got to pound the rock to keep the turnovers down...with new offensive line, this will be a problem when the defense stacks the box.....TA going to need to go play action???

Jesus........remind me next time to put my hip waders on before I read your next comments.

Tommy is the better passer of the two, end of story. Armstrong is clearly not the track star Taylor was, but he sure looks good running the option and he's quite a bit more shifty than Taylor, even with the knee injury Tommy was dealing with last year. Unless TA makes HUGE strides or Stanton takes the job we're screwed? Based on what information do you draw that conclusion?

I don't care what percentage run/pass we end up next year. If the pass is working, pass the damn thing. If the run is working, run the damn thing. For Beck being so focused on drawing his scheme around the opposing defense, you would think run/pass ratio would mean jack crap to him. Take what the defense gives you. Establish the run,(which we've done) and mix in some pass to keep the defense honest, but if we end up 75% run - 25% pass but win 11 games, then who gives a rats ass.

• Fire 5

Jesus........remind me next time to put my hip waders on before I read your next comments.

Tommy is the better passer of the two, end of story. Armstrong is clearly not the track star Taylor was, but he sure looks good running the option and he's quite a bit more shifty than Taylor, even with the knee injury Tommy was dealing with last year. Unless TA makes HUGE strides or Stanton takes the job we're screwed? Based on what information do you draw that conclusion?

I don't care what percentage run/pass we end up next year. If the pass is working, pass the damn thing. If the run is working, run the damn thing. For Beck being so focused on drawing his scheme around the opposing defense, you would think run/pass ratio would mean jack crap to him. Take what the defense gives you. Establish the run,(which we've done) and mix in some pass to keep the defense honest, but if we end up 75% run - 25% pass but win 11 games, then who gives a rats ass.

Basically and it makes him look better in the end. Big year for Tim Beck imo.

Well the silver lining is we'll find out quickly.

Any team that doesn't crowd the box to dogpile Ameer is kidding themselves. Then we'll see things.

1) How Tim Beck will call game when he knows the strengths.

2) How good our Quarterbacks really are

3) Bo's capacity to change QB's out.

Here is what I hate.

A: We have been a run-first team and have been for a long time. I’d like to be more balanced than we are. Sometimes we get leads and settle in and maybe I get a little conservative.

It is his 4th year and he still makes the same friggin mistakes year in and year out. Going into year 4 and still saying things a first year guy would say................

Not to mention, you have an AA RB in AA and you want to throw it more. Really? What has he seen that makes him think TA's arm will open the box and get al 11 D out of it?

• Fire 1

Here is what I hate.

A: We have been a run-first team and have been for a long time. I’d like to be more balanced than we are. Sometimes we get leads and settle in and maybe I get a little conservative.

It is his 4th year and he still makes the same friggin mistakes year in and year out. Going into year 4 and still saying things a first year guy would say................

Not to mention, you have an AA RB in AA and you want to throw it more. Really? What has he seen that makes him think TA's arm will open the box and get al 11 D out of it?

oboy.gif

I just want to know, if during a game, he finds something that works offensively, he'll keep doing it until they find a way to stop it...

Didn't he do that one game (PSU?) when we ran like 10 toss sweeps to Ameer in a row. I don't think they ever stopped it.

I just want to know, if during a game, he finds something that works offensively, he'll keep doing it until they find a way to stop it...

Didn't he do that one game (PSU?) when we ran like 10 toss sweeps to Ameer in a row. I don't think they ever stopped it.

One game, versus several where you can look at the game threads here or the write ups otherwise and people are constantly wondering why they walked away from the run.

Minnesota, 2013 comes to mind.