Interesting numbers from LJS

. You can't keep running the ball when you are down 2 scores in the 2nd half.

The hell you can't. If running gives you a better chance of a scoring drive, do it. You are correct, it's not as simple as just saying "run the ball", but suddenly panicking and flinging the ball all around when the game plan, and your best weapon, is a running attack just because we get down is not the way to go. Scrapping the game plan too early digs us into deeper holes.

• Fire 2

200 yrs on the ground resulted in us being 5-0 last year. Over 300 yards under Bo? 15-0. Let that number sit in. We do not need to pass more. We need to be a power team with PA mixed in.

I think this number is misleading and it seems to come up every season. We run for 200+ yards because we already have the lead and are shortening the game. You can't keep running the ball when you are down 2 scores in the 2nd half. I'm too lazy to do it, but I would like to see the margin in score when we rush for 0-100, 100-200, and 200+. It's not as simple as saying just keep running the ball.

UCLA comes to mind. We were winning and then came out all air Nebraska. Wiscky in 2011 and Michicken in 2011 come to mind as well. We have the best duo in the B1G in AA and Cross, the nations leading returning runner, possible AA and Hypesman. We need to run the ball. Beck is too quick to abandon what's working i.e. run or gets cute and decides to "fool" the D by going all air raid.

Michigan State 17-32 in passing. We averaged 5.7 yrds per carry and had 182 yards on the ground against that vaunted D. TO's killed us. Had we held onto that ball (4 fumbles) we would have gotten over 200 yards and the win. We are built to run. Not sling it around. Just my .02

It seems safe to say, that when NU concentrates in the running game first, our chances of wining are greater. Regardless if this is done when we are ahead or not.

• Fire 1

Good discussion and I agree with most everything here. Exception being that Bo's defense needs to be simple and only works against weak offenses.

It was only a few years ago that we were touting performance against first round QBs like Locker and Gabbert. Remember the MSU home game where their best WR had 1 catch all day, can't remember his name right now. In all of those games Bo had a complex D. Blitzes from all levels, standing 4 man front, etc.

The difference from 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 was talent. The last half of last year showed we are close on talent now. That should make us all very excited about this fall. That is exactly what the LJS pointed out.

I liked the article. Good breakdown using the "facts" of the actual numbers.

Ones I liked:

Undefeated since 2011 when winning the field position

200 yrs on the ground resulted in us being 5-0 last year. Over 300 yards under Bo? 15-0. Let that number sit in. We do not need to pass more. We need to be a power team with PA mixed in.

What we already know:

We suck at getting TO's, but are awesome at giving them. NEEDS TO STOP

Our punt return is non-existent. I would rather give up the occasional first down to the mythical fake and flip the field and actually have a dog in the fight in all 3 phases.

We clean up the TO's, lean on AA and the horses we have at RB, establish a legit attempt at returning punts, we have a great shot at getting to the conference championship.

Looking at those numbers, I take my hat off to Bo for getting the 9 wins each year. We have done everything humanly possible to (statistically) have losing seasons, but find a way to win.

Somebody needs to make sure Mr Beck see's that...

The defense needs to figure out how to get takeaways...plain and simple. Is it a scheme thing? It is just frustrating that the guys cannot seem to give the ball back to the offense.

I am not sure I have been focused on improving special teams play as I am this year...it was horrible and it costs the Huskers some games with not being able to flip the field position. The punt return team looked like they had never played on this unit game after game...yikes!

I think its as elementary as being better on 1st and 2nd down on defense. Being able to be more multiple in base personnel formations early on will help create more 3rd and longs. In turn this should help with every stat that is being mentioned above. scoring, yards, turnovers.....couple this with TA handing it off to a stable of really talented Rbs and hopefully taking care of the ball we should be much more balanced. For the first time in a while I think both offense and defense are going to be good rather than one or the other! 39 days GBR!!

Bo's defense does not need to be simplified. His defense isn't any more complicated than any of the top defenses in the country. We went through a period where we didn't have the athletes up front to run it. Now, I believe we are going into an era where we do. It's going to be exciting to see what these guys can do.

• Fire 1

Bo's defense does not need to be simplified. His defense isn't any more complicated than any of the top defenses in the country. We went through a period where we didn't have the athletes up front to run it. Now, I believe we are going into an era where we do. It's going to be exciting to see what these guys can do.

Having good d-line is key to stopping the run, but there is some things that BP could have done to be a little more sound in run defense. He could have brought more guys into the box, but never wants to give up his pass defense integrity.

Ones I liked:

Undefeated since 2011 when winning the field position

Don't get me wrong, I do love the run game.

I'm too lazy to look up the numbers, but how many yards were gained in the second half of those 15 games when were we up by 14 points? If you are winning by 2 TDs you run the ball. This is true of most football teams, not just Bo's. Just like most of the fantastic yardage numbers under what's-his-name in the mid 2000's came in the second half when we were down by 5 TDs with our first string against their scrubs.

Having good d-line is key to stopping the run, but there is some things that BP could have done to be a little more sound in run defense. He could have brought more guys into the box, but never wants to give up his pass defense integrity.

Ehh. BRB is right. We are now starting to get good and competitive depth and all the horses we need to be successful and not have the learning curve every year at the beginning of the season. I too am excited to see what this D is going to like this year and the next few years should be fun to watch.