My QB mis-analysis

The problem, IMO, is we have no offensive ID. Are we power running, spread, zone read, option with WCO thrown in to keep DC's up at night? We have a guy in TA, who looks, to the eye, to be a baller and a guy who will square up and lay the wood. Use this. Not saying he is the 2nd coming of Crouch, Tommie, Scott, Gill etc, but he could be. He doesn't mind getting physical. Look at the passes he completes in his sleep and that the receivers catch with regularity. Use PA and some designed pass plays to keep the D honest. Don't try and make a dual threat guy drop in the pocket and try to go through 3 progressions. Use his mobility, move the pocket and use the PA. DC's will stack 8 in the box all year. Just like the last 4. Beck needs to help out a QB who, to date, doesn't look to be the next Brady or Manning. Use the above to help him.

Watching the Carolina Panthers, I see Cam being "forced" to be a prototypical pro QB. He goes through his reads even when the field is open. They need to let Cam do what got him the MNC. Run. Not every play, but some designed and some when the play breaks down. Let TA run and throw in his comfort zone, not Beck's. Go through 1 or 2 reads and then go. Let him know to throw the ball out of bounds, not take a sack or throw the INT. Let him run. NU's greats did and with great results.........

So my estimation, without looking up stats, of 10-15 passes per game? Pretty right on target. I never implied that in 1995, the team NEVER passed more than 15 times a game. I talked about a per game estimate.

Well I was talking about '92 and '98, because those were the Freshman seasons in question. But vintage Nebraska FREQUENTLY passed more than 15 times a game, which is a lot more than never.

No question that we pass more than we used to. No question that we remain a run first team with a 2:1 ratio. Armstrong already has a better completion % than Frazier or Crouch. Bump that up five points, trim a few turnovers and we're in business. That's not too much to expect in a Sophomore season free of last year's chaos and injuries.

Tommy Armstrong had every reason to be intimidated last year, but he never look flustered. I'll take that. Just like I'll take fumbling at your own one yard line and then cooly completing a 99 yard pass with your heel at the back of the end zone.

(honestly, I could live without the fumbling part)

Great post. I expect a huge jump this season. Can't wait to see it.

If he doesn't show improvement, then replace him. He should be the game 1 starter because of experience. That's all he should be guaranteed.

Two problems with this. First, it implies we have someone better waiting in the wings to replace him - not necessarily true. Second, considering they let him decide which ball the offense is going to use this year, it's no secret what the plan is at the QB position.

It implies nothing. If he shows no improvement from his Freshman year, he doesn't deserve to play QB. That's how unimpressive his freshman year was. You could put any of our backups in there to throw 50% completions and fumble snaps.

And I highly doubt the only person involved in choosing that ball was Armstrong.

If he doesn't show improvement, then replace him. He should be the game 1 starter because of experience. That's all he should be guaranteed.

Two problems with this. First, it implies we have someone better waiting in the wings to replace him - not necessarily true. Second, considering they let him decide which ball the offense is going to use this year, it's no secret what the plan is at the QB position.

It implies nothing. If he shows no improvement from his Freshman year, he doesn't deserve to play QB. That's how unimpressive his freshman year was. You could put any of our backups in there to throw 50% completions and fumble snaps.

And I highly doubt the only person involved in choosing that ball was Armstrong.

He had his struggles, but basically saying all he did was throw 50% and fumble snaps is laughable, and I think you know that. It's not about "deserving" it, it's about being the best player at the position. Again, I think you know that.

Also, I find it peculiar you would be fine with a QB that's just as "unimpressive" as Armstrong . . . as long as it's not Armstrong. Pretty much tells me everything I need to know about your rationale here.

As for your final comment, maybe not, but as the solidified starting QB he had the final say. Just as Martinez did.

• Fire 1

QB-
I wish I believed in Tommy Armstrong. But I don't.
Passing percentage: 52%
Yards per Rush: 3.7
Interceptions to Touchdowns: Even
I know he was a freshmen and I know he is a "leader" on the team. But I see virtually no reason to believe he has the skills to win 1, 2 or 3 of the games on our schedule that we don't have superior talent. That is what we have to have out of a position with youth. A game manager or whatever is what you can settle for with a Senior while the very talented underling learns the ropes. Martinez had his issues, but he put fear in a defensive coordinator with his feet and his arm. He was very high or very low, but as a linebacker, you didn't dare assume the next play was a "low" play. Armstrong seems to have none of those skills.
If I were a defensive coordinator playing Nebraska with Armstrong, I would do everything possible to force him to beat us. Cover the pitch man on the option, cover Amer on the zone read, and confuse him with the pass coverage.
Stanton. Is his potential higher? Seems like it. His running threat seems higher and the spring game shows that when he knows what to do, he delivers the ball.
Fife. Is his potential higher than Armstrong? I am so unconvinced about Armstrong, that I will say "yes". Good passer and quick running the ball. This would be difficult selection for Beck or Bo. it would signal that our recruiting of QBs is lacking when a walk-on takes the job. It also sets us up for another first time starter for another season; then Fife likely gets beat out a year or two later by Stanton.
I will be shocked to have Armstrong end the season as the starter. I would rather gamble early on Stanton or Fife and get through the first few games as warm ups. I predict Armstrong struggles at Mid-season develops a semi-mysterious injury and we make the move to Stanton. This locks us into another 4 loss season.
We are Armstrong or bust. He has to stop throwing picks that look intentional and develop into a gitimate running threat or we will waste a talented 2014 season.
p.s. I have been trying to decide who Armstrong reminds me of, and it's a less talented Steve Taylor or maybe he is just Cody Green transferring back from Tulsa. We would be blessed if he turns out to be Joey Ganz, but he's probably Mike Grant.

I'm curious how many other freshman QB's in the nation were

...forced into the starting role

...because of injury to the actual starter

...and split time with the 3rd string

And didn't perform to the standards of the fans?

I'm a little confused. You are judging a guy who went through all that in 2013, and undercutting his 2014 performances that haven't happened yet? How pessimistic is that? Do you not believe that kids work hard in the summer to improve and develop their skills?

My point, maybe not so well stated, was that I recognize Armstrong's leadership skills and respect within the team, but i have not seem him display skills higher than that of a "game manager". Nebraska had good years with Senior game managers when a suitable "wow" athlete was not available - Garcia, Luck, Sundberg, McCant, Jerry G, etc. I said I wanted to believe in Armstrong but had not seen the "wow" and if Stanton or Fyfe has more "wow" or upside, then let's plan for the future now, not at mid-season. Armstrong is not a senior, let's not settle on a game manager for 3 more years,

QB-
I wish I believed in Tommy Armstrong. But I don't.
Passing percentage: 52%
Yards per Rush: 3.7
Interceptions to Touchdowns: Even
I know he was a freshmen and I know he is a "leader" on the team. But I see virtually no reason to believe he has the skills to win 1, 2 or 3 of the games on our schedule that we don't have superior talent. That is what we have to have out of a position with youth. A game manager or whatever is what you can settle for with a Senior while the very talented underling learns the ropes. Martinez had his issues, but he put fear in a defensive coordinator with his feet and his arm. He was very high or very low, but as a linebacker, you didn't dare assume the next play was a "low" play. Armstrong seems to have none of those skills.
If I were a defensive coordinator playing Nebraska with Armstrong, I would do everything possible to force him to beat us. Cover the pitch man on the option, cover Amer on the zone read, and confuse him with the pass coverage.
Stanton. Is his potential higher? Seems like it. His running threat seems higher and the spring game shows that when he knows what to do, he delivers the ball.
Fife. Is his potential higher than Armstrong? I am so unconvinced about Armstrong, that I will say "yes". Good passer and quick running the ball. This would be difficult selection for Beck or Bo. it would signal that our recruiting of QBs is lacking when a walk-on takes the job. It also sets us up for another first time starter for another season; then Fife likely gets beat out a year or two later by Stanton.
I will be shocked to have Armstrong end the season as the starter. I would rather gamble early on Stanton or Fife and get through the first few games as warm ups. I predict Armstrong struggles at Mid-season develops a semi-mysterious injury and we make the move to Stanton. This locks us into another 4 loss season.
We are Armstrong or bust. He has to stop throwing picks that look intentional and develop into a gitimate running threat or we will waste a talented 2014 season.
p.s. I have been trying to decide who Armstrong reminds me of, and it's a less talented Steve Taylor or maybe he is just Cody Green transferring back from Tulsa. We would be blessed if he turns out to be Joey Ganz, but he's probably Mike Grant.

I'm curious how many other freshman QB's in the nation were

...forced into the starting role

...because of injury to the actual starter

...and split time with the 3rd string

And didn't perform to the standards of the fans?

I'm a little confused. You are judging a guy who went through all that in 2013, and undercutting his 2014 performances that haven't happened yet? How pessimistic is that? Do you not believe that kids work hard in the summer to improve and develop their skills?

My point, maybe not so well stated, was that I recognize Armstrong's leadership skills and respect within the team, but i have not seem him display skills higher than that of a "game manager". Nebraska had good years with Senior game managers when a suitable "wow" athlete was not available - Garcia, Luck, Sundberg, McCant, Jerry G, etc. I said I wanted to believe in Armstrong but had not seen the "wow" and if Stanton or Fyfe has more "wow" or upside, then let's plan for the future now, not at mid-season. Armstrong is not a senior, let's not settle on a game manager for 3 more years,

That kind of plays into what I am saying though. Maybe he is a "game manager" but only because of the circumstances of last year. The combinations of the coaches not expecting TA to be needed along with TA himself. Think about the playbook size, he can't have it all learned. He HAD to be a game manager last year, because of his youth. Doesn't mean he'll be one this year.

I am not excited about Armstrong as our QB in any way shape or form. Bo has tunnel vision so we are more or less stuck with him unless he gets injured. Kellogg should have seen the field tons more than he ended up seeing last season. Nothing shocking there.

I'm team Stanton and the guy hasn't even taken a snap yet. That's how unimpressed I am with Tommy Armstrong so far anyway.

If you were Bo in years past, what other option did you have? The choices available to him haven't been stellar. While he and his staff have nobody to blame but themselves, I think you'd be hard-pressed to prove there was a better choice most Saturdays. Just because we never saw some of the back-ups doesn't mean the coaches weren't evaluating them all in practice.

And why did Kellogg need to see the field "tons" more? His completion percentage was 59%, he had a 2:1 touchdown to interception ratio and he's not mobile at all. While his passing was better, it wasn't stellar, and he too showed an inability to move the offense.

Lastly, why do you have to be Team Stanton, or why does someone have to be Team Armstrong? I can get pulling for a guy but you're sounding suspiciously vindictive, that you don't want to see TA succeed. Wouldn't it be wiser to be Team "Let-the-best-player-play?" People have laughably inadequate evidence to support Stanton other than feel-goods in their stomach and hopes on their shoulders. I'm not saying TA has proven himself, but whoever is our quarterback, they have my 100% support. I don't care what their number or the name on their jersey is.

• Fire 2

I am not excited about Armstrong as our QB in any way shape or form. Bo has tunnel vision so we are more or less stuck with him unless he gets injured. Kellogg should have seen the field tons more than he ended up seeing last season. Nothing shocking there.

I'm team Stanton and the guy hasn't even taken a snap yet. That's how unimpressed I am with Tommy Armstrong so far anyway.

If you were Bo in years past, what other option did you have? The choices available to him haven't been stellar. While he and his staff have nobody to blame but themselves, I think you'd be hard-pressed to prove there was a better choice most Saturdays. Just because we never saw some of the back-ups doesn't mean the coaches weren't evaluating them all in practice.

And why did Kellogg need to see the field "tons" more? His completion percentage was 59%, he had a 2:1 touchdown to interception ratio and he's not mobile at all. While his passing was better, it wasn't stellar, and he too showed an inability to move the offense.

Lastly, why do you have to be Team Stanton, or why does someone have to be Team Armstrong? I can get pulling for a guy but you're sounding suspiciously vindictive, that you don't want to see TA succeed. Wouldn't it be wiser to be Team "Let-the-best-player-play?" People have laughably inadequate evidence to support Stanton other than feel-goods in their stomach and hopes on their shoulders. I'm not saying TA has proven himself, but whoever is our quarterback, then have my 100% support. I don't care what their number or the name on their jersey is.

I wish more people thought this way.

Well said.

I know QB is an important position in the offense, has everyone forgotten we have a very good corp of RB's. If the O line can play inspired ball, and Beck doesn't think he's the 2nd coming of Don Coryell and run the ball, then a 10+ win season is a realistic expectation as long as the defense holds up it's end.

Running the ball would take the pressure off of TA, limit the opportunities for him to make bad decisions, and hopefully by moving the ball, making smart decisions, increase his confidence. But this hinges on the way Beck is going to run the offense. If he wants him to wing the ball all over the place, that is just setting this kid up for failure, and possibly a place on the bench.

I know QB is an important position in the offense, has everyone forgotten we have a very good corp of RB's. If the O line can play inspired ball, and Beck doesn't think he's the 2nd coming of Don Coryell and run the ball, then a 10+ win season is a realistic expectation as long as the defense holds up it's end.

Running the ball would take the pressure off of TA, limit the opportunities for him to make bad decisions, and hopefully by moving the ball, making smart decisions, increase his confidence. But this hinges on the way Beck is going to run the offense. If he wants him to wing the ball all over the place, that is just setting this kid up for failure, and possibly a place on the bench.

i see a recurring theme here, seems every year now we have a qb that is an unreliable passer and questionable game manager.....wow, then we end up being a run team, damn it would be nice to have a good passing qb for once.........

This x100. Until we have a QB who is truly a successful QB run the ball. We have a stable of great back who have shown they can run. Let them. Beck continues to confuse me at times with his play calling. Let TA grow into a better QB by relying on the RB's.

You and I watched a different team last year.

Ron Kellogg and Tommy Armstrong were alternated equally as Bo made up his mind, so I'm guessing your leap to "tunnel vision" is a leftover from a Taylor Martinez issue.

It became apparent to Bo and Beck, as it was to the rest of us, that Freshman Tommy had a bigger upside than Senior Kellogg, so Tommy started getting a majority of the snaps.

When Tommy was hurt, Kellogg was handed the final regular season game, Senior Day at Home against Iowa. At which point Ron Kellogg, a perfectly nice, hardworking young man, showed why he was better off as a back-up.

• Fire 5

This x100. Until we have a QB who is truly a successful QB run the ball. We have a stable of great back who have shown they can run. Let them. Beck continues to confuse me at times with his play calling. Let TA grow into a better QB by relying on the RB's.

You and I watched a different team last year.

Because we had a Freshman quarterback, Beck did rely on the RB's, riding Ameer Abdullah to one of the best rushing seasons in Nebraska history. He also gave his big, confident young quarterback the chance to revive the option, something the run-happy crowd was clamoring for. And 14 times a game he let Tommy pass the ball, which is the right thing to do on a team that has frikkin' Kenny Bell and Quincy Enunwa. Tommy did alright. A beautiful touch on several passes. A few he'd like back, as with most quarterbacks. The longest TD pass in Husker history under incredible pressure.

Only someone who just can't abide the passing game could look at Beck and Armstrong and worry about them simpling "winging the ball all over the place." Beck may have called a few series you didn't like because they didn't work, but he's not stupid.

I honestly don't know how Armstrong will respond this year. You expect growth in a Sophomore season. Sometimes there's a Sophomore slump. But everything I've seen from Tommy Armstrong suggests he's okay with a high level of expectation. That speaks well of his leadership. I want to see him and Beck go balls out, unafraid to run or pass, ignoring the hang-wringing of fans still frightened by this fancy forward passing thing.

• Fire 6

He had his struggles, but basically saying all he did was throw 50% and fumble snaps is laughable, and I think you know that. It's not about "deserving" it, it's about being the best player at the position. Again, I think you know that.

Also, I find it peculiar you would be fine with a QB that's just as "unimpressive" as Armstrong . . . as long as it's not Armstrong. Pretty much tells me everything I need to know about your rationale here.

As for your final comment, maybe not, but as the solidified starting QB he had the final say. Just as Martinez did.

You really had to do some gymnastics there with my comment. At no point did I say I would be fine with a QB that throws 50% and fumbles. That's what we already have. I was responding to the idea that what we have behind him would be worse than his play last year.

I like Armstrong. I want him to succeed because that means NU succeeds. But if he shows no improvement from last year we need to give Stanton a shot to prove himself. How are you twisting this into irrational hatred for Tommy.

To recap my position, because you are as dense as a rock on this issue.

Armstrong should start. He earned it, and deserves it as he has the most experience. IF HE DOESNT IMPROVE FROM LAST YEAR, pull him and put in Stanton. I doubt he would be worse than 50% completion rate and he might prove himself. If he is? Go to Fyfe. Run the wildcat with Abdullah. I don't care.

Using your interpretation skills, you would stick with a QB throwing 50% and constantly fumbling because the backup might do the same?

• Fire 1