Bo on Stringfellow....Ouch....

LINK

>> Pelini was asked what happened with wide receiver Demore'ea Stringfellow, who committed to Nebraska -- even signed non-binding papers to NU -- but flipped to Ole Miss roughly two weeks later.

"Read between the lines," Pelini said. "I think we all know what happened in that situation."

When asked if parents making decisions for their kids on colleges was frustrating, Pelini said: "Yeah. And especially when it's a clueless parent."

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Maybe the high road was the better choice here, Bo.

Then people will bitch about coach speak.

I personally don't care. Lose a recruit? Ok, it happens. Talk about the players you have now, etc.

Don't imply cheating when you can't prove it and whine about how his mom is dumb. That's something crybabies do. What recruit is that going to win over?

He basically made a stupid throwaway post on Huskerboard a sound byte.

That would win me over.

I think Nebraska should be targeting better athletes than you.

Sorry I thought that was a hypothetical question so I gave a hypothetical answer.

I love the "read between the lines" answer. Sour grapes or not, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to do everything right and then lose out on a kid because someone pays them (or their family) off.

As to the second part, it's a bit of a stretch to say he's calling out stringfellow's mom specifically. Someone asked another question and he answered it. Doesn't necessarily mean his answer is related to the last question (though it could have been).

That's fantasy. If Bo gives a trite, but classy "OK, we wish him and his family well", people are going to complain that it's coach speak? No way.

As for what Bo actually said, it'll play well with some people, not well with others. I don't care for it, whether or not the parent was right or wrong about plane ticket costs. I don't see any point in declaring she was wrong on the matter, and I don't see that playing well with parents of other recruits who just want the best for their kid. But I'm sure a percentage of them will appreciate it anyway, or just not care.

Like most other Husker fans, I don't know about the Stringfellow situation but can surely read between the lines. Let the fans do that on their own, coach. The high road is not hard to take.

And, you know, there's a season to prepare for. No need to step out of 2014 football season mode for even a second to take a potshot at past history.

• Fire 5

That's fantasy. If Bo gives a trite, but classy "OK, we wish him and his family well", people are going to complain that it's coach speak? No way.As for what Bo actually said, it'll play well with some people, not well with others. I don't care for it, whether or not the parent was right or wrong about plane ticket costs. I don't see any point in declaring she was wrong on the matter, and I don't see that playing well with parents of other recruits who just want the best for their kid. But I'm sure a percentage of them will appreciate it anyway, or just not care.Like most other Husker fans, I don't know about the Stringfellow situation but can surely read between the lines. Let the fans do that on their own, coach. The high road is not hard to take.And, you know, there's a season to prepare for. No need to step out of 2014 football season mode for even a second to take a potshot at past history.
Well he was asked the question so I don't think he purposely veered in that direction. But as far as I'm concerned, Bo thought they had him twice and got left holding his junk after the music stopped and he didn't have a dance partner.
  • Fire 1

That's fantasy. If Bo gives a trite, but classy "OK, we wish him and his family well", people are going to complain that it's coach speak? No way.As for what Bo actually said, it'll play well with some people, not well with others. I don't care for it, whether or not the parent was right or wrong about plane ticket costs. I don't see any point in declaring she was wrong on the matter, and I don't see that playing well with parents of other recruits who just want the best for their kid. But I'm sure a percentage of them will appreciate it anyway, or just not care.Like most other Husker fans, I don't know about the Stringfellow situation but can surely read between the lines. Let the fans do that on their own, coach. The high road is not hard to take.And, you know, there's a season to prepare for. No need to step out of 2014 football season mode for even a second to take a potshot at past history.

Spot on.

He pretty much said what everyone already knows when it comes to Ole Miss and recruiting. It you are offened by what he said, then your head is in the sand and really haven't been paying attention to Ole Miss and a majority of the SEC. Even Spurrier questions some of the other SEC teams about their recruiting tactics.

• Fire 2

LINK

>> Pelini was asked what happened with wide receiver Demore'ea Stringfellow, who committed to Nebraska -- even signed non-binding papers to NU -- but flipped to Ole Miss roughly two weeks later.

"Read between the lines," Pelini said. "I think we all know what happened in that situation."

When asked if parents making decisions for their kids on colleges was frustrating, Pelini said: "Yeah. And especially when it's a clueless parent."

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Maybe the high road was the better choice here, Bo.

I personally don't care. Lose a recruit? Ok, it happens. Talk about the players you have now, etc.

Don't imply cheating when you can't prove it and whine about how his mom is dumb. That's something crybabies do. What recruit is that going to win over?

He basically made a stupid throwaway post on Huskerboard a sound byte.

Didn't see the implication about cheating in Bo's comment, but rather parents concerned about something other than their kid's desires. But hey, it's Polo so Bo has to be wrong. Carry on.

• Fire 3

Bo sets the tone. He could have said, "We're about the players who are here."

Instead the tone is griping over spilled milk, which wouldn't raise as many eyebrows if it weren't a trend. And any time you come out with statements that strong and provocative, you invite criticism and discussion over it, which is something that so far has clearly not been handled well by the staff, extending to Saturdays. It doesn't matter if it wasn't fair, we all know when we get the shaft, but you have to keep looking forward.

I think Bo has the ability to coach Nebraska to national championships. I just :facepalm: at why he keeps doing things like this. Seven years in, I don't think he can be any other way. Sure, if he wins big now, it'll all pass like nothing. For now, I think we're just seeing recurring displays pointing to this football program not being a top-flight, top-down operation (opinions vary on how important that is), with no season result since 2009 to the contrary.

Lastly, the idea that Bo is frustrated by parents who want to guide their kids' college decisions and thinks they are clueless is ammo he did not need to hand out to opposing coaches. JMO.

• Fire 1

Yup. The media articles on the toothless NCAA, the comments by Spurrier on Alabama's ridiculous recruiting, it all adds up. At some point the schools that care about doing things the right way (including most of the big ten) will need to either find a way to reign the rampant cheating in or to leave the cheaters to their money leagues and start a level playing field. Of course, the legal system may just topple the current scholar athlete system anyway and leave us with true amateur competition.