Ebola patient coming to Atlanta hospital

Really interesting that the Nebraska Medical Center has been visited by the State Department about the virus. Apparently our biocontainment facility is the largest in the nation. Officials have said there are no plans to send ebola patients to Omaha at this time, but they are just being prepared if something else arises.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good thing we have these neat things called toilets. If we all sh#t in the street I'd be worried.

For those who needed a reason to not sh#t in the street; it spreads ebola. There you go.

On an unrelated-to-toilets note; Tschu, give this a look. Good stuff from the viral experts, particularly in the first section, on RNA mutation rates and the actuality of any threat developing- http://jvi.asm.org/content/79/18/11555.full

Yeah, the two patients being treated at Emory are the least of our concerns. We will end up learning more about the disease from their treatment. Besides, our own DoD has probably had Ebola in some nondescript lab somewhere in the U.S. for years, as Ebyl alludes to in his post above.

As for Ebola becoming airborne, I don't know enough about the process of mutation to know whether that is remotely likely. I'm guessing that it *could* happen, even though it's unlikely. Then again, there are lots of diseases that could mutate in a known manner and wipe out mankind. What if human cancer became transmittable like the venereal dog cancer? Something like that would be much worse that airborne Ebola because Ebola is too hot--that is, it burns out its victims too fast for them to spread the disease very far.

/resumes practicing golf swing

Yeah, the two patients being treated at Emory are the least of our concerns. We will end up learning more about the disease from their treatment. Besides, our own DoD has probably had Ebola in some nondescript lab somewhere in the U.S. for years, as Ebyl alludes to in his post above.

As for Ebola becoming airborne, I don't know enough about the process of mutation to know whether that is remotely likely. I'm guessing that it *could* happen, even though it's unlikely. Then again, there are lots of diseases that could mutate in a known manner and wipe out mankind. What if human cancer became transmittable like the venereal dog cancer? Something like that would be much worse that airborne Ebola because Ebola is too hot--that is, it burns out its victims too fast for them to spread the disease very far.

/resumes practicing golf swing

Well isn't there or was there some remote island that the US has a lab on for a lot of this kind of thing?

While I agree with the notion of taking care of your own 1st, the mad scientist in me would be excited to have a chance to combat Ebola in person...From what little I remember from Microbiology classes, this little critter has the potential to wipe out large portions of the cancer we call the human race..sorry..a little extremist thoughts seeping through...But if we are to ever have a chance to beat Ebola...Wouldn't you want the world's best playing with this thing? As opposed to trusting the locals to "just handle it" and hope it doesn't make it's way here?

Spreading it is inevitable...At least this way is more controlled (hopefully) but with the government involved, you just never know if that's a wise choice...It sounds like the beginning of one of those goofy Outbreak movies that takes poetic license just to scare the masses.

I guess I feel like it's much better to attack unknowns (diseases in this case). Head on rather than to try to hide from it and somehow use "those other people" as a buffer.

I'd really hate to be one of these two patient/Doctors..To be responsible for the very slight possibility of spreading it back home... If it were just me or my Son...I would probably take one for the team...Although losing my Son would probably make me lose all compassion for others...And I'd really hate to become the poster child for an outbreak on this side of imaginary lines..Uh..Border..I mean Border...But this is more than about two lives...It's hopefully about finding a cure for the latest evolution of nasty viruses...I've heard they're now using past (conquered) viruses to fight Cancer ..Something similar to a Trojan Horse to enter the Cancer Cells and allow modified DNA or RNA strands to kill only those bad cells...Much harder to make these sort of medical advances with a mobile lab...

Cant take your post seriously in Comic Sans...

ebola zombies.jpg

Sawry..

I didn't know anyone here ever took my posts seriously..

I was trying to cut/paste a few responses I'd made to a wolf woman in North Carolina on facebook..using my chromebook...That was the first font that was readable to me...(The lines were overlapping for some reason on my view of it prior to changing font)...

While I agree with the notion of taking care of your own 1st, the mad scientist in me would be excited to have a chance to combat Ebola in person...From what little I remember from Microbiology classes, this little critter has the potential to wipe out large portions of the cancer we call the human race..sorry..a little extremist thoughts seeping through...But if we are to ever have a chance to beat Ebola...Wouldn't you want the world's best playing with this thing? As opposed to trusting the locals to "just handle it" and hope it doesn't make it's way here?

Spreading it is inevitable...At least this way is more controlled (hopefully) but with the government involved, you just never know if that's a wise choice...It sounds like the beginning of one of those goofy Outbreak movies that takes poetic license just to scare the masses.

I guess I feel like it's much better to attack unknowns (diseases in this case). Head on rather than to try to hide from it and somehow use "those other people" as a buffer.

I'd really hate to be one of these two patient/Doctors..To be responsible for the very slight possibility of spreading it back home... If it were just me or my Son...I would probably take one for the team...Although losing my Son would probably make me lose all compassion for others...And I'd really hate to become the poster child for an outbreak on this side of imaginary lines..Uh..Border..I mean Border...But this is more than about two lives...It's hopefully about finding a cure for the latest evolution of nasty viruses...I've heard they're now using past (conquered) viruses to fight Cancer ..Something similar to a Trojan Horse to enter the Cancer Cells and allow modified DNA or RNA strands to kill only those bad cells...Much harder to make these sort of medical advances with a mobile lab...

Cant take your post seriously in Comic Sans...

attachicon.gifebola zombies.jpg

Sawry..

I didn't know anyone here ever took my posts seriously..

I was trying to cut/paste a few responses I'd made to a wolf woman in North Carolina on facebook..using my chromebook...That was the first font that was readable to me...(The lines were overlapping for some reason on my view of it prior to changing font)...

Lol, I'll forgive you. That TF is a Graphic Designer's nightmare.

I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with this scenario: allowing people with a deadly virus (for which, to my knowledge, we don't have immunity to) to enter our country. I mean, it's not like the government has ever said not to worry about a virus or disease, only for said virus/disease to end up killing people.

On a side note, due to the above responses, I nominate Nebraska as the next state to take these people in as well as other Ebola victims who may want to come here for treatment.

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with this scenario: allowing people with a deadly virus (for which, to my knowledge, we don't have immunity to) to enter our country. I mean, it's not like the government has ever said not to worry about a virus or disease, only for said virus/disease to end up killing people.

On a side note, due to the above responses, I nominate Nebraska as the next state to take these people in as well as other Ebola victims who may want to come here for treatment.

Who let you out of your soccer thread anyway?

• 2 weeks later...