Academic Fraud Investigation at Notre Dame - Will Vacate Wins from 2011-2012

Mavric

22 current and former players involved. Victories over the last 4 seasons could be vacated.

Ouch

If that happens, then we'll be 3rd on the all-time victories list!!

#9wins
How far have we fallen?

I haven't fallen for a while now. #NotAlwaysDrunk

Stewart Mandel got a lot of emails about Notre Dame this week:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/2014/08/20/ohio-state-braxton-miller-nfl-notre-dame-scandal-mailbag.html

You missed it completely. Notre Dame caught it themselves, suspended the athletes and notified the NCAA. Most other institutions cover it up unless reported by a third party and go on their title-chasing merry way. Your article classifies you as a Notre Dame hater who once again didn't do his homework and/or doesn't want to recognize Notre Dame's high standards. THEY TURNED THEMSELVES IN!!

-- Ken Devine, location unknown

Welcome to a small sampling of my inbox since past Friday. Not only was I wrong to suggest that a series of high-profile academic fraud cases among Notre Dame’s athletes is a blow to its high-and-mighty academic image, but in fact I should be PRAISING the school for punishing the athletes at all.

As one college football writer said to me recently, isn’t it amazing how a school’s fans can be angrier at your opinion about a story than the story itself?

You really should be careful about convicting any players before the actual facts are revealed. My sources on campus are telling me players named by the media have contacted lawyers about suing media members for slander as their NFL careers have been jeopardized.

-- Regards, Greg, location unknown

Do your sources include the athletic director, who named them at his own press conference?

Mr. Mandel, I think your article about Notre Dame being sullied over the cheating incident is completely wrong. I think their actions in this matter shows you the high integrity the school has and they will not sacrifice their morals and beliefs for football glory. This is what makes Notre Dame special.

-- Frank DeRosa, location unknown

You all usually ask the questions, but this week I have one of my own: Does the brainwashing occur when you arrive as freshmen at Notre Dame or not until graduation day?

If the Notre Dame "scandal" turns out to be far less serious than initially reported, will you devote as many words to recanting your previous statements as you did jumping to conclusions based on dubiously sourced reports? What do you think 2004 Stewart Mandel would have thought of 2014 Stewart Mandel?

-- Sincerely, A Disappointed Former Fan, location unknown

Well, the 2004 Stewart Mandel did write a column arguing that Ohio State deserved the death penalty for its Maurice Clarett-era scandal, so, he’d probably think the 2014 version has gone soft in his old age.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Academic Fraud Investigation at Notre Dame - Will Vacate Wins from 2011-2012