Pat Forde's top 3 coaches on the hot seat

You're massively deluded if you don't think that Nebraska Athletic Dept PR plays a sizeable role. That's all I can really say

Explain why then?

My guess is that Bo has always been like this (save for media interviews) and probably didn't let the university show much of it. After last year, he realized that the public perception of him wasn't good and needed to change it. So he did. Good for him for looking in the mirror and seeing an issue and correcting it.

Pretty much what I think is happening also. I don't think the things he has been doing are made up by a PR person but rather something that was caught on tape and released.

And we all know how Bo feels about things caught on tape being released.

You're massively deluded if you don't think that Nebraska Athletic Dept PR plays a sizeable role. That's all I can really say

Explain why then?

My guess is that Bo has always been like this (save for media interviews) and probably didn't let the university show much of it. After last year, he realized that the public perception of him wasn't good and needed to change it. So he did. Good for him for looking in the mirror and seeing an issue and correcting it.

Pretty much what I think is happening also. I don't think the things he has been doing are made up by a PR person but rather something that was caught on tape and released.

Well, we know the cat for the Tunnel Walk wasn't Bo's idea... so why do you assume he's behind everything else? It makes no difference to me, he needs good PR. I've said for years that the Athletic Department needed to hire him a good PR person. So they finally did it; good for them.

• Fire 1

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/cat-s-out-of-the-bag-on-mike-nobler-court/article_b97f4128-2025-11e4-be1f-0017a43b2370.html

Bo Pelini was preparing for Big Ten media days in Chicago when two long text messages landed in his iPhone.

They were from Mike Nobler and they started like this: “I got an idea ...”

The Nebraska football video coordinator had been meeting with two NU officials, trying to brainstorm a creative way to unveil the Huskers’ new alternate uniforms. Many of the tricks had become cliché. But Nobler had something fresh.

“I think instead of a player surprising the team with the new uniform on,” he explained in the second text, “it should be you. You wear the shoulder pads, jersey, pants, helmet and shoes and run into the auditorium. The players would go crazy. We would film it and post it that morning. After about 10 seconds after you run in you rip off your helmet and show them. Think about it. I think it would be big.”

Five days later, Pelini followed the plan, bouncing around the room, throwing the bones, high-fiving players. When he took off his helmet, the auditorium exploded in laughter and applause.

Nobler’s greatest value lately may be inspiring Pelini’s own comedy.

Chart Nebraska’s social media successes over the past 18 months, and you’ll find Nobler instrumental in almost all of them. If it wasn’t his idea, his video crew was distributing the joke to the masses: The Harlem Shake. Smashing a cellphone with a hammer. Carrying a cat down the red carpet.

Yeah . . . it's even been in the paper IIRC . . .

And that's fine. But it would not be necessary either if false perception about Bo's character were not made by so many again based on a 3 1/2 football game broadcast. He yells at a ref. He yells at a player. He's obviously an a-hole. That's what it all amounts to. Bo sick of it. The program is sick of it. So what we're gonna do is put more out there that shows the person Bo really is ALL THE DAMN TIME.

I worded it incorrectly. I shouldnt have said the PR deal is BS. Cuz it's not. I know it's not. It does exist. I believe in that. What I find is BS is how some think that Bo's only doing this stuff now to try to make him look like a good guy. And that couldnt be more false. He's always been this way. We just didnt have the privilege of seeing it.

Lastly. This is just a result of Bo being an old school, hard-ass, wear your heart on your sleeve, tell you how it is type of guy in a society now comprised of so many entitled, chicken sh#t, snot-nosed and spoiled brats.

I've worked in PR. Trust me, there's a major PR effort going on at the University of Nebraska to repackage Bo Pelini.

But Bo is doing some of the heavy lifting himself, and should get credit for that.

As for the audio tape: some fans booed. Some filed out. The Ohio State game was the latest in a series of limp, uninspired peformances by Pelini's team. It was hard to watch, but the vast majority stayed and watched, then cheered like crazy when the Huskers put together the biggest comeback in Nebraska history. So what's Bo Pelini honestly thinking about in this moment of triumph? He's thinking about the minority who walked out, and painting the entire Husker nation with a broad, vindictive brush that made it all about him. And in fairness to the detractors, that was hardly the end of limp, uninspired performances by Pelini teams.

If you're gonna lecture people about loyalty, you don't say "I'm so f'ing out of here!" when a handful of the most loyal fans in college football assume you're going to lose when down by 21 points to an unranked team in the third quarter.

In fairness to Bo, I think he's grown up a bit since then.

I'd sure hate to have my private conversations made public. But my private conversations are always more honest than what I'm willing to say on the record.

• Fire 4

I've worked in PR. Trust me, there's a major PR effort going on at the University of Nebraska to repackage Bo Pelini.

But Bo is doing some of the heavy lifting himself, and should get credit for that.

Absolutely, and good point. PR and Bo himself can both be responsible for these things, it's not an either-or situation.

As for the audio tape: some fans booed. Some filed out. The Ohio State game was the latest in a series of limp, uninspired peformances by Pelini's team. It was hard to watch, but the vast majority stayed and watched, then cheered like crazy when the Huskers put together the biggest comeback in Nebraska history. So what's Bo Pelini honestly thinking about in this moment of triumph? He's thinking about the minority who walked out, and painting the entire Husker nation with a broad, vindictive brush that made it all about him. And in fairness to the detractors, that was hardly the end of limp, uninspired performances by Pelini teams.

If you're gonna lecture people about loyalty, you don't say "I'm so f'ing out of here!" when a handful of the most loyal fans in college football assume you're going to lose when down by 21 points to an unranked team in the third quarter.

In fairness to Bo, I think he's grown up a bit since then.

I'd sure hate to have my private conversations made public. But my private conversations are always more honest than what I'm willing to say on the record.

Awesome write up. Nicely said.

That's why my issue with that recording is none at all. We're coming up on 3 years since it happened. Now, had it been released right away, the consequences may have been a lot more severe. But it was so long ago and that's why I feel so many including myself just turn a blind eye to it with a "meh".

That's why my issue with that recording is none at all. We're coming up on 3 years since it happened. Now, had it been released right away, the consequences may have been a lot more severe. But it was so long ago and that's why I feel so many including myself just turn a blind eye to it with a "meh".

The fact that releasing the recording was an obvious chicken-sh#t move by some coward who wanted Bo immediately fired as a reaction to the UCLA game was the major reason that it was met with a "meh" by the public. As bad as the audio was, the fact that it was released in that manner made the public sympathize with Bo quite a bit.

The fact that releasing the recording was an obvious chicken-sh#t move by some coward who wanted Bo immediately fired as a reaction to the UCLA game was the major reason that it was met with a "meh" by the public. As bad as the audio was, the fact that it was released in that manner made the public sympathize with Bo quite a bit.

Correct. And in relation to the fact it was 2 years old. I remember the next day the whole line of ESPN talk radio hosts showing full support to Bo's side on that deal. My one problem was Scott VanPelt generlizing our whole fan base as this chicken sh#t who did it labeling us as a bunch of crybaby fans. Not that it isnt true. But how does that attribute make us so unique?

Didn't work out so well for Donald Sterling.

Didn't work out so well for Donald Sterling.

The two are barely comparable. With Bo, I can relate to and empathize with most of the stuff he was yelling about. (Although I like to think I don't generalize that much). Sterling's rant is something I can't relate to at all and there's no excuse for him.