Pat Forde's top 3 coaches on the hot seat

... however the underlying question to me is and always has been, does Bo know how to build that type of team?

This is the root of every opinion on Bo. The tape and the outbursts and all of that fuel the fire - but ultimately the above is what it's all based on. We've had good offenses, we've had excellent defenses - and at the same time we had terrible offenses and some pathetic defenses. Throw in special teams that is just as extreme, with turnovers and penalties, and depth and recruiting ups and downs - and you could write a 10 season ESPN drama series solely based on the Pelini era.

So can Bo put together a great offense? Yes. Can he put together a great defense? Yes. Can he do both in the same season? Who the hell knows anymore...

Thank you for compiling this list...I guess?? And who cares what "most sportswriters obviously agree" to. Sportswriters don't make coaching decisions. Ask Shatel.

In your opinion, does Bo keep his job if he goes 8-5?

Yes. But I'm not spending my days wondering how Pelini might lose his job. I'm excited for the season to start......and equally excited to see what this defensive front four we have can do.

You're spending quite a bit of your day in this thread. :) - if 8 wins is fireable (i think it would be) - then I'd say that's a pretty warm seat.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.......we have a defensive front starting four that many believe is NFL caliber all the way across.

Thank you for compiling this list...I guess?? And who cares what "most sportswriters obviously agree" to. Sportswriters don't make coaching decisions. Ask Shatel.

I'm gonna chime in on this for sh#ts as a Bo backer.

No.

And I've been saying this or a couple years now. Coming off the frustrations of prior seasons and at minimum 9 wins being set as a standard, I do believe that, and especially this season with the defensive talent and experience combined with the schedule, that anything less than 9 wins in the regular season results in enough heat that he's gone. That means 4 regular season losses a minimum. I can understand 3 with road games at Wiscy, Iowa, and Michigan St. And you look at the rest of the schedule, there no excuse whatsoever for a 4th. And personally, I see no excuse whatsoever for dropping all three of those tough road games. jesus Christ, if we can get at the very least 1 of those games, I'll probably crawl in a hole. And say we do, now we're up to two losses coming from somehwere else.

Also, with all that happened last year and literally keeping his job by the hair on his chinny chin, any sort of regression from the standard that he's set I think creates enough heat to force a change.

I'll also add that it would be 8-4, not 8-5 because a firing will not take place after a bowl game. They wont and cant wait that long. And yes, it could be said that it depends on how the losses come if theyre close or not, but like I said above, the tough 3 road games aside, there's really no excuse this year for a 4th regular season loss.

Just my opinion.

I'm gonna chime in on this for sh#ts as a Bo backer.

No.

And I've been saying this or a couple years now. Coming off the frustrations of prior seasons and at minimum 9 wins being set as a standard, I do believe that, and especially this season with the defensive talent and experience combined with the schedule, that anything less than 9 wins in the regular season results in enough heat that he's gone. That means 4 regular season losses a minimum. I can understand 3 with road games at Wiscy, Iowa, and Michigan St. And you look at the rest of the schedule, there no excuse whatsoever for a 4th. And personally, I see no excuse whatsoever for dropping all three of those tough road games. jesus Christ, if we can get at the very least 1 of those games, I'll probably crawl in a hole. And say we do, now we're up to two losses coming from somehwere else.

Also, with all that happened last year and literally keeping his job by the hair on his chinny chin, any sort of regression from the standard that he's set I think creates enough heat to force a change.

I'll also add that it would be 8-4, not 8-5 because a firing will not take place after a bowl game. They wont and cant wait that long. And yes, it could be said that it depends on how the losses come if theyre close or not, but like I said above, the tough 3 road games aside, there's really no excuse this year for a 4th regular season loss.

Just my opinion.

Miami could be that fourth loss, but I believe we win at least one (maybe 2 or even 3), so it will still come down to, like you said, a fourth loss coming from a team we should easily beat.

Not to be too snarky, but if a lot of teams would love a coach who won 9 games every season, Bo Pelini would have bolted to them. After declaring he was "so outta here!" in 2011, he found he wasn't a hot item on the open market.

So he went all-in at Nebraska. And that's the way it should be. He's done everything right in the off-season, recruiting appears to be paying dividends, and our schedule is soft in the right places to give us a chance in the polls -- if we deserve it. I think he has a good shot at a breakthrough season. In my book it doesn't have to be a Conference Championship or Bust. The problem with the previous six Bo Pelini seasons was lack of consistency and discpline, on one or both sides of the ball. That's a head coaching issue, and the only one that needs to be addressed.

We know good football when we see it. So I'm gonna wait till I see it before declaring a magic number of wins or losses.

That's my point. Took one comment to fire people up and have it cosidered a personal attack. But yet, it's ok to post opinions all over the place about someones performance, or peoples perception that there is a lack thereof, and how that person should be fired all due to OPINIONS. Opinion is one thing, and everyone has a right to it, and personal attacks are frowned upon. Yet, it's ok to attack a mans integrity, work ethic, generosity, passion, how he treats players, etc. without even truly knowing who he is or what he stands for? How about instead of wasting time trying to justify why our coach should be fired already when we haven't even played a game this season, people spend time supporting kids, coaches, and the program. And don't even start by telling me it's your (our) rights because it's a public university. Doesn't matter. I get it, it's a message board, and people have opinions. But how about supporting the man and the program instead of trying to tear it and him down? Best fans in the country we are not.

You're new around here. Don't you know that every thread gets derailed into a "Bo must go" thread? Not sure why it's allowed, but whatever.

Anyhow, you're even more defensive of Bo than I am......

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

Bo's behavior will put him on the hotseat before another 9-4 season would. Bo will be here as long as he can keep 9+ wins and doesn't completely go off the deep end. Bo runs a clean program where academic's is as important as athletics. A tradition that ESecPN doesn't care about. I'm glad I don't have to hear a kid on the team say " I came here to play football, not play school". I have a family member who works for the University as a Graduate Instructor & said Bo & staff get reports about all of the players & makes sure they get the message when they jack around in class or are not cutting it in the classroom.

Isn't the point of college to get students ready for the career of their choosing? So why is this so scandalous?

That's my point. Took one comment to fire people up and have it cosidered a personal attack. But yet, it's ok to post opinions all over the place about someones performance, or peoples perception that there is a lack thereof, and how that person should be fired all due to OPINIONS. Opinion is one thing, and everyone has a right to it, and personal attacks are frowned upon. Yet, it's ok to attack a mans integrity, work ethic, generosity, passion, how he treats players, etc. without even truly knowing who he is or what he stands for? How about instead of wasting time trying to justify why our coach should be fired already when we haven't even played a game this season, people spend time supporting kids, coaches, and the program. And don't even start by telling me it's your (our) rights because it's a public university. Doesn't matter. I get it, it's a message board, and people have opinions. But how about supporting the man and the program instead of trying to tear it and him down? Best fans in the country we are not.

You're new around here. Don't you know that every thread gets derailed into a "Bo must go" thread? Not sure why it's allowed, but whatever.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

I'm not new, been on a looong time, just don't post much. No I'm not HCBP, don't even know who that is or what you're talking about. I am not so much defensive of Bo as I am defensive of the program, all the coaches, and the kids. I have a different "perspective" than many, as far as what negative fans do to the program as a whole and especially the kids. No matter what anyone says, it IS distracting to the kids, coaches, and the program. Kids are on social media whether they're told not to or not, and some of those kids read threads and walk away with a seed of doubt about their future, the programs future, and their coaches future. Therefore, those kids can never fully buy into the system or the program and then we wonder why sometimes there is lackluster performance and kids not playing with passion. Back in the day, guys knew the fans loved TO and loved them and they fed off of it. Just like now, sometimes they feed off the negative.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

I'm not new, been on a looong time, just don't post much. No I'm not HCBP, don't even know who that is or what you're talking about. I am not so much defensive of Bo as I am defensive of the program, all the coaches, and the kids. I have a different "perspective" than many, as far as what negative fans do to the program as a whole and especially the kids. No matter what anyone says, it IS distracting to the kids, coaches, and the program. Kids are on social media whether they're told not to or not, and some of those kids read threads and walk away with a seed of doubt about their future, the programs future, and their coaches future. Therefore, those kids can never fully buy into the system or the program and then we wonder why sometimes there is lackluster performance and kids not playing with passion. Back in the day, guys knew the fans loved TO and loved them and they fed off of it. Just like now, sometimes they feed off the negative.

Except the late 70s, late 80s and early 90s

• Fire 1

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

Yep, and I was around for those times and before. And during those times one of the complaints was the boys just didn't play with the passion as many thought they should. Everyone thought TO's offense was outdated and he didn't know how to win the big ones. He could only win regular season games that weren't as important. Except, there wasn't social media to enable them to hear or see every little comment. It was limited to the OWH. I also remember everyone and their dog calling for Charlie McBrides head for years, but then that was forgotten and he was a defensive guru/god after the titles.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

I think you may be giving places like this a smidge too much credit on their clout.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

I think you may be giving places like this a smidge too much credit on their clout.

You'd be amazed at what gets in kids' heads. Even college kids. Doesn't have to be a credible source, they're still young enough to let it creep up on them and plant that seed.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

Yep, and I was around for those times and before. And during those times one of the complaints was the boys just didn't play with the passion as many thought they should. Everyone thought TO's offense was outdated and he didn't know how to win the big ones. He could only win regular season games that weren't as important. Except, there wasn't social media to enable them to hear or see every little comment. It was limited to the OWH. I also remember everyone and their dog calling for Charlie McBrides head for years, but then that was forgotten and he was a defensive guru/god after the titles.

That doesn't compute with your earlier point about how back in the day they knew the fans loved their coaches and that helped them win.