Pat Forde's top 3 coaches on the hot seat

Except the late 70s, late 80s and early 90s

Yep, and I was around for those times and before. And during those times one of the complaints was the boys just didn't play with the passion as many thought they should. Everyone thought TO's offense was outdated and he didn't know how to win the big ones. He could only win regular season games that weren't as important. Except, there wasn't social media to enable them to hear or see every little comment. It was limited to the OWH. I also remember everyone and their dog calling for Charlie McBrides head for years, but then that was forgotten and he was a defensive guru/god after the titles.

That doesn't compute with your earlier point about how back in the day they knew the fans loved their coaches and that helped them win.

By back in the day, I mean the championship days when everyone raved at the passion the guys had. Nitpick if you must.

Thank you for compiling this list...I guess?? And who cares what "most sportswriters obviously agree" to. Sportswriters don't make coaching decisions. Ask Shatel.

In your opinion, does Bo keep his job if he goes 8-5?

I think he would be safe with the idea that they would bounce back the following season. Returning to 9-4.

If it was six losses, and he punted a kitten into the stands during a timeout, well then that might warm his seat up a tad bit more.

By back in the day, I mean the championship days when everyone raved at the passion the guys had. Nitpick if you must.

So your point is that when teams are winning National Championships, their fans don't complain that they aren't winning enough? There's a shocker.

• Fire 2

Except the late 70s, late 80s and early 90s

Yep, and I was around for those times and before. And during those times one of the complaints was the boys just didn't play with the passion as many thought they should. Everyone thought TO's offense was outdated and he didn't know how to win the big ones. He could only win regular season games that weren't as important. Except, there wasn't social media to enable them to hear or see every little comment. It was limited to the OWH. I also remember everyone and their dog calling for Charlie McBrides head for years, but then that was forgotten and he was a defensive guru/god after the titles.

That doesn't compute with your earlier point about how back in the day they knew the fans loved their coaches and that helped them win.

So every person affiliated with the university and all of the fans have to present a unified front of support otherwise it adversely affects the team?

That's my point. Took one comment to fire people up and have it cosidered a personal attack. But yet, it's ok to post opinions all over the place about someones performance, or peoples perception that there is a lack thereof, and how that person should be fired all due to OPINIONS. Opinion is one thing, and everyone has a right to it, and personal attacks are frowned upon. Yet, it's ok to attack a mans integrity, work ethic, generosity, passion, how he treats players, etc. without even truly knowing who he is or what he stands for? How about instead of wasting time trying to justify why our coach should be fired already when we haven't even played a game this season, people spend time supporting kids, coaches, and the program. And don't even start by telling me it's your (our) rights because it's a public university. Doesn't matter. I get it, it's a message board, and people have opinions. But how about supporting the man and the program instead of trying to tear it and him down? Best fans in the country we are not.

You're new around here. Don't you know that every thread gets derailed into a "Bo must go" thread? Not sure why it's allowed, but whatever.

Anyhow, you're even more defensive of Bo than I am......

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

I'm not new, been on a looong time, just don't post much. No I'm not HCBP, don't even know who that is or what you're talking about. I am not so much defensive of Bo as I am defensive of the program, all the coaches, and the kids. I have a different "perspective" than many, as far as what negative fans do to the program as a whole and especially the kids. No matter what anyone says, it IS distracting to the kids, coaches, and the program. Kids are on social media whether they're told not to or not, and some of those kids read threads and walk away with a seed of doubt about their future, the programs future, and their coaches future. Therefore, those kids can never fully buy into the system or the program and then we wonder why sometimes there is lackluster performance and kids not playing with passion. Back in the day, guys knew the fans loved TO and loved them and they fed off of it. Just like now, sometimes they feed off the negative.

I think you may be giving places like this a smidge too much credit on their clout.

You'd be amazed at what gets in kids' heads. Even college kids. Doesn't have to be a credible source, they're still young enough to let it creep up on them and plant that seed.

Unfortunately you're right.

But they still have to deal with it. The sooner the better.

At this level it's not about team loyalty & support, it's about fame. College football players are famous enough for strangers to care about them. The same thing that makes football players heroes makes them targets. Wherever there's a Comments section on the internet, there will be someone uttering something stupid and confrontational. Or possibly informed and confrontational. It's hard to tell the actual numbers. The national media has nothing on social media.

But people who support the status quo tend not to be the most active commentators.

Thank you for compiling this list...I guess?? And who cares what "most sportswriters obviously agree" to. Sportswriters don't make coaching decisions. Ask Shatel.

In your opinion, does Bo keep his job if he goes 8-5?

If the losses are close in an 8-5 season I think he keeps his job but if we're getting blown out by 20+ then I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think he survives another season with an embarrassing 40 point loss to an unranked team.

You're new around here. Don't you know that every thread gets derailed into a "Bo must go" thread? Not sure why it's allowed, but whatever.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

Derailed? Did you miss the thread title? This was a fire Bo thread from the get-go.

Uhhh, yeah, I know. That's fine in this thread, it's all the other dozens and dozens of threads I'm referring to.

That's my point. Took one comment to fire people up and have it cosidered a personal attack. But yet, it's ok to post opinions all over the place about someones performance, or peoples perception that there is a lack thereof, and how that person should be fired all due to OPINIONS. Opinion is one thing, and everyone has a right to it, and personal attacks are frowned upon. Yet, it's ok to attack a mans integrity, work ethic, generosity, passion, how he treats players, etc. without even truly knowing who he is or what he stands for? How about instead of wasting time trying to justify why our coach should be fired already when we haven't even played a game this season, people spend time supporting kids, coaches, and the program. And don't even start by telling me it's your (our) rights because it's a public university. Doesn't matter. I get it, it's a message board, and people have opinions. But how about supporting the man and the program instead of trying to tear it and him down? Best fans in the country we are not.

Is Eagle1 really HCBP??

I'm not new, been on a looong time, just don't post much. No I'm not HCBP, don't even know who that is or what you're talking about. I am not so much defensive of Bo as I am defensive of the program, all the coaches, and the kids. I have a different "perspective" than many, as far as what negative fans do to the program as a whole and especially the kids. No matter what anyone says, it IS distracting to the kids, coaches, and the program. Kids are on social media whether they're told not to or not, and some of those kids read threads and walk away with a seed of doubt about their future, the programs future, and their coaches future. Therefore, those kids can never fully buy into the system or the program and then we wonder why sometimes there is lackluster performance and kids not playing with passion. Back in the day, guys knew the fans loved TO and loved them and they fed off of it. Just like now, sometimes they feed off the negative.

I was kidding.

HCBP = Head Coach Bo Pelini,fyi

Just to clarify, because apparently some people are having trouble dealing with a little discontent, pissing, and moaning about the recent state of affairs.

I am not calling for Bo's head/job.

I don't think he is currently on a "hot" seat.

I sure don't think he is one of the three coaches most in danger of losing his job.

I want Bo and the team to succeed. I wish them the best.

I actually expect no more than 2 losses this coming regular season. (Probably setting myself up for great disappointment)

BUT-

I am sick and tired of people who act like things are as good as they can possibly be, they are not.

I am sick of people defending stomach turning blowouts, total melt downs in different facets of different games, suspect play calling, suspect effort and preparation, game plans that don't evolve, coaches sticking round pegs in square holes, and a whole list of other sh#t that I am too exhausted to continue typing.

We are not Iowa. We are not Missouri. We are not Kansas. Yes, we have some challenges for recruiting but we also have a history, monetary resources, facilities, etc. that place us at an advantage over many, if not most, other Midwest schools. The cupboards aren't bare and we aren't really wanting so quit acting like it can no longer be done here.

Some of the things we have experienced should be considered unacceptable by everyone. I'm pretty sure Bo and his staff consider them unacceptable (based on what they've said) so I am dumbfounded by the posters here who constantly whine whenever another points out the obvious shortcomings.

Blowout losses to anyone are not acceptable for Nebraska football. Never have been, never will be- get with the program.

Failure to put away obviously lesser opponents should not be acceptable. Once again get with the program.

Our schedule this year and the few previous years in effect spots us about 7 victories. You don't need to do much searching to discover why many posters are not completely impressed with 9 wins. For many of us, that 9-4 record you're bragging about is no more than a 2-4 record in games that were in question at all. And then when you consider the opponents in those 6 games, by and large, are not national powerhouses, a person very reasonably can arrive at the conclusion that we are performing below capability.

There, now this mfer is derailed.

• Fire 6