** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

Also thirdly...

Let's give Tim Beck props. Doesn't matter who the competition was that was a hell of a game called offensively.

We agree on this. He did a nice job. It was fun to watch.

As good as Beck did, Tommy did a damn nice job of executing it. There were a few times I'd have liked to see Tommy take off and run, but overall I don't think we could ask for anything more from that game. Tommy's stats were fantastic and would have been better if some balls were not dropped. Abdullah looked brilliant right along with the rest of the backs. Cross,looks like he could easily take it to the house now. The guy hits the gap and goes. Newby was impressive and kind of a thumper now too.

I couldn't feel any better about things than I do. That was a blast to watch.

Offense

OL played well. They seem to have a nasty streak . . . which is great to see.

Abdullah is simply phenomenal. He belongs in the all-time great Nebraska RB conversation.

Armstrong looks good running the ball. He's not a blazer like Martinez was but he is a load to bring down.

Westerkamp. Kids a gamer. Just has it.

Armstrong threw some beautiful passes and a few clunkers. At least one should have been picked but the FAU defender dropped it. Either way, with his running skills his passing is probably more than adequate.

Defense

DL played well after the first couple drives. FAU was just outmanned at the LOS.

Loved the play where Daniel Davie fought off the block on the flat and made an open field tackle. Big time play.

Santos was all over the place.

Overall, the three things that I wanted to see out of this game were minimizing turnovers, minimizing penalties, and improvement on the return teams. No turnovers . . . so good on that front. After 6 penalties for 60 yards in a quarter and a half of football I was pretty worried about the penalties. Fortunately I don't think that they had a single flag after those six. The return team still has issues. I'm not really sure why that's such a thorn in our side.

All in all, a very good day but we will obviously learn a lot more during the Miami and Fresno State games.

• Fire 2

Offense

Abdullah is simply phenomenal. He belongs in the all-time great Nebraska RB conversation.

Armstrong looks good running the ball. He's not a blazer like Martinez was but he is a load to bring down.

Armstrong threw some beautiful passes and a few clunkers. At least one should have been picked but the FAU defender dropped it. Either way, with his running skills his passing is probably more than adequate.

Defense

DL played well after the first couple drives. FAU was just outmanned at the LOS.

Loved the play where Daniel Davie fought off the block on the flat and made an open field tackle. Big time play.

Overall, the three things that I wanted to see out of this game were minimizing turnovers, minimizing penalties, and improvement on the return teams. No turnovers . . . so good on that front. After 6 penalties for 60 yards in a quarter and a half of football I was pretty worried about the penalties. Fortunately I don't think that they had a single flag after those six. The return team still has issues. I'm not really sure why that's such a thorn in our side.

All in all, a very good day but we will obviously learn a lot more during the Miami and Fresno State games.

Agreed, but I still think our return game is a work in progress, and they trying things in practice that we won't see until later in the season, maybe Miami or mich state. I just can't fathom that the coaches will continue to see the results and not change something, especially after they said during camp they put an emphasis on it.

Offense

Defense

Agreed, but I still think our return game is a work in progress, and they trying things in practice that we won't see until later in the season, maybe Miami or mich state. I just can't fathom that the coaches will continue to see the results and not change something, especially after they said during camp they put an emphasis on it.

While I think Bell is a good leader, I don't think he has the best hands to be the PR. One thing I liked about Pierson-El's PR was how he moved under the punt to give himself some space......and with the PR and touchdown catch it appears he has good hands and isn't intimidated by the spotlight.

Armstrong is going to take this offense much farther than Martinez could.

TA looks faster and more decisive running the ball.

TA still has a ways to go in the passing game. Missed a couple long balls and probably got lucky not to throw an INT or 2.

Terrell Newby still is primarily (and almost exclusively) an outside runner. He's flashy though.

Tim Beck may have learned how to call plays finally. It was a very simplistic approach and kept FAU off balance all day.

Imani Cross continues to be under-utilized. Hopefully that changes at some point.

This defense is going to be really damn good. The only concern I have right now would be communication and depth at the CB position.

Greg McMullen looked really impressive. With RG4 out, he was the main man on the DL and played big.

• Fire 1

When we run out of the shotgun Abdullah is about 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It takes awhile for him to hit the gaps and the linemen were not able to maintain their blocks long enough on quite a few of those runs. The gap had closed by the time he got there.

Anybody who knows a bit more about this maybe could tell me is this standard to line up that deep? Or is there a different reason we do that?

It's hard to really tell anything from the first game of the season, but watching the game:

> It appeared the offense worked so well because the players were comfortable with the plays being called. Nothing fancy, but I would prefer it this way

> Abdullah...well, I don't really need to say much about what he has done since he's been here at Nebraska. From now on, Abdullah will be a verb that can be used to describe something done really well, e.g., "Oh, he got a 98% on the Calculus test; he really Abdullahed it."

> With the exceptions of Westerkamp and Bell, I wasn't too impressed with the WRs. Moore seemed to excel at getting open, but would then drop the ball

> Still pretty concerned with punt returns and kick coverage

> Need to find some quality depth along the defensive line, specifically at defensive end

> LBs looked like they knew what was going on to start the season this year, and made some good plays

> Cooper could be one of the most important pieces of the defense

> Gerry is going to be fun to watch

> I hate injuries

> Cats are strange creatures

> Overall, I was extremely happy with the performance. Before the game started, the group I was watching the game with said they would like to see a dominating performance against an inferior team, and that's what we saw

• Fire 1

Shark: it seems like TArm plays within the game plan, knowing that the game plan is going to accommodate the situation and make adjustments, where as TMart seems to try and take control and score on any given play. Which I think in turn effected the play calling of beck, and hampered us during the last 4 years. I feel a lot better about both Beck and Armstrong, but also want to see us against Fresno and Miami before getting too giddy about the offense.

Imani Cross continues to be under-utilized. Hopefully that changes at some point.

Eh. I'm not sure how many touches you want to take away from Abdullah.

3 carries for a RB like Cross? He could be used as a bulldozer to grind down a defense so Abdullah has open space to run as the game rolls on. IMO, Cross is a more complete back than Newby at this point.

In hindsight, I kinda appreciated that our first two offensive drives were riddled with penalties, and the defense allowed an opening drive touchdown.

It showed the team can adjust when things aren't going well. Which may be the biggest hurdle for a Pelini team to clear. The zero turnovers are part of that.

Without the announcers, I wouldn't have known that Armstrong was changing plays at the line when he saw opportunities to exploit. That's a good sign.

BTN claims the total offense yardage was the most by Nebraska since 1991. If true, that includes some great Nebraska teams with plenty of cupcakes on the schedule.

It's gonna be really funny when FAU upsets Alabama next week.

One more observation:

This team has no future with Ryker Fyfe at QB. If Tommy ever goes down, Stanton needs to be the guy who gets the keys to the offense.

I don't know what you were watching wtih Ryker. I think he did just fine with the time he was given. He ran the offense and showed good decision making and made a couple of good runs. I agree that he's number two behind Armstrong, but I think he would be fine if Armstrong went down.

Other than that, I learned that there's a reason why I love it when school starts back up. It's not because I love teaching......it's because I know that Husker football is about to start. I loved watching as much college football as I could yesterday.

• Fire 1

What did we learn after the FAU game? I learned that Florida Atlantic isn't actually an airline like I thought it was the first time I saw it mentioned.

But for real I learned that we can be a really scary team when we execute properly. We are definitely the most talented team in our division and are capable of some pretty special things. Go Big Red.

In hindsight, I kinda appreciated that our first two offensive drives were riddled with penalties, and the defense allowed an opening drive touchdown.

It showed the team can adjust when things aren't going well. Which may be the biggest hurdle for a Pelini team to clear. The zero turnovers are part of that.

Without the announcers, I wouldn't have known that Armstrong was changing plays at the line when he saw opportunities to exploit. That's a good sign.

BTN claims the total offense yardage was the most by Nebraska since 1991. If true, that includes some great Nebraska teams with plenty of cupcakes on the schedule.

It's gonna be really funny when FAU upsets Alabama next week.

That would be great......I wasn't really all that impressed with how Alabama looked yesterday but, unfortunately, they won't lose to that team. It would be a great thing to see though!