** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

I was a little surprised Cross didn't get more carries early, and none late.

Coaches seem to have a ton of faith in him in high pressure situations...third downs, fourth downs, inside the 10.....but the limited carries are starting to strike me as odd.

If you have 19 carries between Newby and Cross, no idea why it wouldn't be more equitable. Cross has NFL potential and deserves a chance to show it.

One more observation:

This team has no future with Ryker Fyfe at QB. If Tommy ever goes down, Stanton needs to be the guy who gets the keys to the offense.

That's ridiculous. Even if you're right, you can't have possibly figured that out from a handful of snaps. But the snaps I watched, Fyfe was ok. He reminds me of Berringer with those long legs and deceptive speed. Just needs some more experience and poise.

One more observation:

This team has no future with Ryker Fyfe at QB. If Tommy ever goes down, Stanton needs to be the guy who gets the keys to the offense.

WTF?

I was thinking the same thing. I must have watched a different Ryker Fyfe than he did.

Must have I guess. What I saw was 3 or 4 bad reads on Zone Read option plays and 2 or 3 pretty bad looking throws. He ran the ball decent though.

• Fire 1

Coaches seem to have a ton of faith in him in high pressure situations...third downs, fourth downs, inside the 10.....but the limited carries are starting to strike me as odd.

If you have 19 carries between Newby and Cross, no idea why it wouldn't be more equitable. Cross has NFL potential and deserves a chance to show it.

I thought the same thing. I would like to see a little more of Cross in there. Especially in a game like yesterday. It makes me wonder if he'll even get the nod as the starter next year.

I thought the same thing. I would like to see a little more of Cross in there. Especially in a game like yesterday. It makes me wonder if he'll even get the nod as the starter next year.

Is Cross the best kept secret in the country or what? I asked the same thing yesterday as to why we weren't seeing more of him and as someone said, theres nothing more for him to prove. He's a solid backup to Ameer and could probably start for any team out there, I expect we will use him plenty and just felt no need to burn him up just like when Ameer sat down.

Or that's the only explanation I can find anyways.

Is Cross the best kept secret in the country or what? I asked the same thing yesterday as to why we weren't seeing more of him and as someone said, theres nothing more for him to prove. He's a solid backup to Ameer and could probably start for any team out there, I expect we will use him plenty and just felt no need to burn him up just like when Ameer sat down.

I can see not wanting to burn him up when we have a team beat like that, but I feel the same way you do......I would still have liked to see a little more of him yesterday. There's a lot of teams that would love to have a back like Cross as their starter. We're the lucky ones that have him as a back-up!

Cross played a lot more than the stats gave him credit for. He only had three carries, but I remember seeing him in there quite a bit in the first half. Newby got the majority of the min./carries in the second half. We will see plenty of Cross this season, Im sure.

Also, no receptions for C. Carter. We gained almost 800 yards without utilizing our tight end. That's pretty scary to think about for other teams that we didn't even use all of our weapons.

Well we blitzed the punter once and almost got it blocked but didn't see the "new" version of special teams.

I thought there were a couple Bell had room for a return had he been bothered to catch the ball.

I think there will be improvement there if we nix that little experiment. Give Pierson-El a shot.

• Fire 1

I can see not wanting to burn him up when we have a team beat like that, but I feel the same way you do......I would still have liked to see a little more of him yesterday. There's a lot of teams that would love to have a back like Cross as their starter. We're the lucky ones that have him as a back-up!

This is where diamond formation could really come in handy. Considering what we saw from Abdullah yesterday and what we know Cross is capable of, imagine how much it'd open up the playbook with both of those guys on the field at the same time.

When we run out of the shotgun Abdullah is about 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It takes awhile for him to hit the gaps and the linemen were not able to maintain their blocks long enough on quite a few of those runs. The gap had closed by the time he got there.

Anybody who knows a bit more about this maybe could tell me is this standard to line up that deep? Or is there a different reason we do that?

When NU ran the old I-formation, the I-back would be about 7 yards behind the LOS. This allows that I-back to see the hole or make necessary cuts. This also allows the back to take a couple steps forward so he is hitting the hole at a higher speed.