Best season opener under Bo?

Saunders

Irregardless of the opponent--yes, weaker opponents definitely mask problems--that performance "felt" different than past performances against teams of similar caliber. We looked more prepared, we played with more focus--there's some reason that we didn't have another penalty after our slew of them in the first half. We played with more intensity--we played like this game wasn't just a walk through the park like it was.

That mentality is going to translate to games against Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa; games where we will need to be at our best.

• Fire 1

That Southern Miss game was a solid outing that had me sucking Koolaid out of a 50 gallon drum. Receivers were grabbing everything (if you remember they dropped a lot of passes in 2011), offense looked great, pass D was dominant, penalties erased, turnovers gone...then we went through the rest of the season.

I don't think we could ask for a better start, but I'm holding out for about 5-6 more weeks before I form much of an opinion one way or the other. Great start though. A few questions answered.

That Southern Miss game was a solid outing that had me sucking Koolaid out of a 50 gallon drum. Receivers were grabbing everything (if you remember they dropped a lot of passes in 2011), offense looked great, pass D was dominant, penalties erased, turnovers gone...then we went through the rest of the season.

I don't think we could ask for a better start, but I'm holding out for about 5-6 more weeks before I form much of an opinion one way or the other. Great start though. A few questions answered.

There are definitely parallels, but we also gave up 20 points to a team that finished 0-12. This felt a lot more like the 2010 season opener, to me.

• Fire 1

There are definitely parallels, but we also gave up 20 points to a team that finished 0-12. This felt a lot more like the 2010 season opener, to me.

there was a borderline meltdown after the 2010 season opener as well becuase WKU was actually able to run the ball some. And people thought kansas St was gonna shove down our throats for 4 quarters and so on and so on.

Ya... I felt way better about last Saturday than I did about the Southern Miss game. That came was 14-14 at one point.

• Fire 1

there was a borderline meltdown after the 2010 season opener as well becuase WKU was actually able to run the ball some. And people thought kansas St was gonna shove down our throats for 4 quarters and so on and so on.

Yeah, we all know how the 2010 defense struggled against the run. Bobby Rainey made it to the NFL, though. I think we've forgotten just how good the 2010 team was when Taylor Martinez was healthy. There were very few teams that could have beaten that team with a healthy Taylor (Texas was one of those teams, unfortunately).

Ya... I felt way better about last Saturday than I did about the Southern Miss game. That came was 14-14 at one point.

Exactly. Offensively, the two openers are pretty similar, but it's a night and day difference on defense.

Yeah, we all know how the 2010 defense struggled against the run. Bobby Rainey made it to the NFL, though. I think we've forgotten just how good the 2010 team was when Taylor Martinez was healthy. There were very few teams that could have beaten that team with a healthy Taylor (Texas was one of those teams, unfortunately).

Really easy to forget we were ranked 5th in the nation and hadnt been behind an opponent on the scoreboard. Then,, Texas.....

Exactly. Offensively, the two openers are pretty similar, but it's a night and day difference on defense.

We hope. This secondary hasn't been tested.

That's true. I hope they get a good test before the conference season starts. I think the safeties will be fine, but it will be interesting to see how Josh Mitchell and Daniel Davie perform against better receivers.

We hope. This secondary hasn't been tested.

But they weren't in 2010 against Southern Miss either. SM was 7-19 passing for 75 yards. But they rushed for almost 200 as well.