Did we pass the 2013 'Litmus Test'?

ladyhawke

Last year we all contributed to a list of things we would like to see our team either do or not do. I remember some of them but not all, so please add to the list and then decide if we accomplished this item during our first game:

>Decrease or eliminate turnovers: So far so good! We had some 'close but no cigar' moments but we are at present turnover free.

>Special Teams: Bondi did a fairly good job kicking off into the end zone but our returns still leave a lot to desire. However, I'm hoping Bo will let that Pierson-El kid loose at that position. I would rather not have Kenny Bell or Ameer return. We need to keep them healthy.

>Competitive play: We said it's not so bad to lose but it's the WAY we lose (or win) We won big on Saturday but more importantly we played competitively.

>Let the 2nd and 3rd string kids play: Well, Bo certainly did that on Saturday. That was really fun to see. I hope that continues.

>Don't burn out Ameer: I heard on Big Red Wrap Up tonight that Bo was watching the yardage number and when it got over Ameer's record number of yards Bo took him out. Ameer is kind of like Rex-wants to play as much as possible but we need Ameer fresh for the big games.

>When something is working keep doing it: I thought Beck called an excellent game on Saturday. I hope we continue to see that.

What else did we talk about last year that we would like to see this year?

Last year we all contributed to a list of things we would like to see our team either do or not do. I remember some of them but not all, so please add to the list and then decide if we accomplished this item during our first game:

>Decrease or eliminate turnovers: So far so good! We had some 'close but no cigar' moments but we are at present turnover free.

>Special Teams: Bondi did a fairly good job kicking off into the end zone but our returns still leave a lot to desire. However, I'm hoping Bo will let that Pierson-El kid loose at that position. I would rather not have Kenny Bell or Ameer return. We need to keep them healthy.

>Competitive play: We said it's not so bad to lose but it's the WAY we lose (or win) We won big on Saturday but more importantly we played competitively.

>Let the 2nd and 3rd string kids play: Well, Bo certainly did that on Saturday. That was really fun to see. I hope that continues.

>Don't burn out Ameer: I heard on Big Red Wrap Up tonight that Bo was watching the yardage number and when it got over Ameer's record number of yards Bo took him out. Ameer is kind of like Rex-wants to play as much as possible but we need Ameer fresh for the big games.

>When something is working keep doing it: I thought Beck called an excellent game on Saturday. I hope we continue to see that.

I'll piggy back off of that. What impressed my offensively was the opening drive and how it remained consistent. Run the ball several times to set up a pass play while keep moving the chains.

I feel good, but I wouldn't dream of suggesting we've passed any test. This was just the first of 12 or so questions.

Maybe it passes a pop quiz. 1st game and all.

The test to pass will always be how we do against a QB who can run around and throw fairly well. And how we do against a good secondary that schemes it's defense to stop the run on 1st and 2nd down. Time will tell.

What I liked most was how they responded to adversity. Several flags in the opening two drives could easily have been momentum killers, and have been in the past even against bad opponents, but this game they did two new things: they overcame the trouble, and they didn't repeat their mistakes. Both drives resulted in touchdowns, and the penalties stopped.

• Fire 1

I liked no TO's. I also liked "just moving the chains". Last year, IMO, it seemed as though we tried to go "big or bust" too many times. This O looks more methodical in its approach. I like that.

Bo's D generally improves as the season goes. I see no reason this will be any different. Another good thing.

We blew away a team we should have by all accounts. Like NU of old. I would like to see the same thing this weekend. They are a good squad and will be, IMO, a good test for our run D with a "mobile QB."

I liked that even with several penalties, NU stuck to the plan, Beck didn't go all air raid trying to get yards back in one chunk and the guys played hard.

Getting guys game experience early will pay off big during the season. Nothing improves a player better than playing in games.

• Fire 1