***Official McNeese Game State Discussion Thread***

Mavric

I have only been able to catch a few plays, but it seems from what I am seeing that Tommy is staring down the receiver. Not so much on checking down. But like I said I have missed most of the game.

he seems to know where he wants to throw it before the ball is snapped. that takes a lot of good timing and communication, but you still have to be able to adjust and read the play.

2nd Quarter Impressions:

• Nebraska's offense under Tim Beck has proven that it can get the big chunk yards, but the same old question keeps coming up...can we get those tough 3 to 4 yards when we need them?
  • The INT returned to the house obviously killed any chances of Nebraska putting this game way early. I honestly think Tommy was thinking one route on that play & Jordan Westerkamp was thinking another route.
  • Tommy does need to become more patient with reading his progressions. Towards the end of the 2nd quarter he was staring down his primary route and trying to force the ball, when he had his #2 or checkdown option wide open.
  • The left side of the O-Line with Lewis & Cotton can be flat out nasty if given the chance. If Beck would stay a little more committed to the run game with the read-option, and also the counter-read to allow Lewis & Cotton to trap & pull I think that would help get our run game into a more cohesive rhythm.

Things I Would Like To See In The 2nd Half:

1. ​With some of our receivers being injured, utilize some 2-tight end formations to add a little more heft in our run blocking.
  2. If McNeese State continues to load the box & blitz from multiple positions, Tim Beck needs to dip into Nebraska's various screen passing game & shovel pass game. The one shovel that we did run in the 2nd quarter to Ameer was not only well conceived, but also a perfectly timed call.
  3. Nebraska's O-Line is bigger and frankly more talented than the D-Line of McNeese State. In order for Nebraska to start establishing the running game, Tim Beck is going to have to stay committed to calling the run, even when we are only gaining 2 to 3 yards a pop.

I don't think people are overreacting in this thread. We're seeing throws that will be interceptions against Michigan State. Tommy has way more time in the pocket now than he will have against B1G teams, and yet he's still making those throws. Our linemen aren't getting any push. We're playing down to our opponent. It's the same old stuff that we've seen the past 3+ years that has always led to the same type of season. Maybe this year it won't end up that way and they'll improve but I think we've been hoping for that for a long time and it hasn't happened yet.

• Fire 3

I don't think people are overreacting in this thread. We're seeing throws that will be interceptions against Michigan State. Tommy has way more time in the pocket now than he will have against B1G teams, and yet he's still making those throws. Our linemen aren't getting any push. We're playing down to our opponent. It's the same old stuff that we've seen the past 3+ years that has always led to the same type of season.

Our offensive line is being owned by McNeese State, I'd say that is more concerning and directly affects some of those throws we like to discuss.

We've controlled this game everywhere but on the scoreboard.

297 yards to 106

7.2 yards per play to 3.7

We should have scored one more TD and them one less but one play made a huge difference.

TA could easily have 3 picks in this game, too.

Bingo. This isn't going to cut it against the better teams in the Big Ten. Not that the better teams in the Big Ten are particularly impressive either . . .

No argument from me on that.