**** What we Learned - McNeese St Edition ****

NUance

We rush four all game....kind of easy to double team our defensive line.

This is completely false. We brought extra guys fairly often. They were just getting rid of the ball quickly so we weren't getting there. Actually, most of the time we would have been better off not blitzing because they were throwing it right where the blitzer came from.

That is the problem. When we "bring pressure," it typically mean one extra guy. A blitz to this team often means bringing 5 and that's it. We never load up and play tight man and rush 7. With our athletes your not leaving a lot to chance because it means a lot of one-on-one match ups where the best athlete usually wins. What more could you want?

We don't have to do it all the time, but I only remember one time where we blitzed multiple linebackers toward the end of the 4th quarter.

There were several times where we brought more than one extra.

I tend to be an optimist, but this game just about ruined me.. it was the same thing we see every year from Bo and this crew... lay an egg against a team who many consider inferior.

Here is what i learned:

Tommy Armstrong looked like a more "QB-like" Taylor Martinez.. just all over the place. I dont think this is something we will deal with all the time, but it is tiring.

Ameer- Didnt get the carries he should, but even on the ones he got, McNeese state did a good job of bottling him up. But he was still what i like to call the "AP of the college world" Get him the ball in his hands and stand back... because it will be exciting.

Westerkamp- He is our #1 WR.. he is a special player

Injuries- These are finally adding up and truly affecting this team. Hate to see Turner and Bell go down.

Defense- Our LB's look lost. and slow... I thought we had fixed this, but this will be a major concern moving forward.

D-line- Mcmullen was good if not great.. rest looked slow and took a step back.

All in all I am not ready to quit on this team or panic... but no more "wait till next week to impress us".. Impress us now.

I tend to be an optimist, but this game just about ruined me.. it was the same thing we see every year from Bo and this crew... lay an egg against a team who many consider inferior.

Here is what i learned:

Tommy Armstrong looked like a more "QB-like" Taylor Martinez.. just all over the place. I dont think this is something we will deal with all the time, but it is tiring.

Ameer- Didnt get the carries he should, but even on the ones he got, McNeese state did a good job of bottling him up. But he was still what i like to call the "AP of the college world" Get him the ball in his hands and stand back... because it will be exciting.

Injuries- These are finally adding up and truly affecting this team. Hate to see Turner and Bell go down.

Defense- Our LB's look lost. and slow... I thought we had fixed this, but this will be a major concern moving forward.

All in all I am not ready to quit on this team or panic... but no more "wait till next week to impress us".. Impress us now.

Armstrong's passing game had some issues......other than the obvious of the pick 6......but he ran the zone read pretty well and was over 100 yards rushing (and no fumbles makes him un-Martinez like). McNeese was focused on stopping Abdullah and the offensive adjustments made were good. However, offensive execution struggled at times.....from Kenny Bell getting blown up on an option block to Jake Cotton's penalty negating Westy's catch. Defensively, our LBs are an issue. Pelini has said since spring one of the LBs needs to step up......apparently none have yet.

Beck-and maybe tommy as well- got way carried away with yhe low percentage deep passing game and tried to make it a primary paaibg game. It works to stretch the field to back the secondary off some but youre not gonna gain nothin by goin to that well time and time again. Gotta gain the ability to read and use the intermediate game as a primary. Until we can consistently do that defenses will have their backers press the line and key the run and play 3-4 deep coverage.

• Fire 1

We rush four all game....kind of easy to double team our defensive line.

This is completely false. We brought extra guys fairly often. They were just getting rid of the ball quickly so we weren't getting there. Actually, most of the time we would have been better off not blitzing because they were throwing it right where the blitzer came from.

That is the problem. When we "bring pressure," it typically mean one extra guy. A blitz to this team often means bringing 5 and that's it. We never load up and play tight man and rush 7. With our athletes your not leaving a lot to chance because it means a lot of one-on-one match ups where the best athlete usually wins. What more could you want?

We don't have to do it all the time, but I only remember one time where we blitzed multiple linebackers toward the end of the 4th quarter.

There were several times where we brought more than one extra.

There were several. I guess I didn't quite intend that to be taken so literal. There were some times actually where the blitz bit us on the back side. Credit to McNeese for keeping us off balance. I should have said we don't blitz enough in my opinion. We do blitz though Mavric, you're right.

Some of the same issues are still present. We need to kick into the next gear if we want to be a truly great team. I have seen the likes of these teams win 9, lose 4 and finish ranked 20-25. But I don't want to play in the Gator Bowl anymore. This is where this team is right now. I would not want us to the play teams like Oregon, Auburn, or A&M as we'd get embarrassed.

We need leadership if we want to do something truly great. Ameer has it and I am starting to think Gerry has it. I think Tommy, Westy, and Gregory also have the potential also. As does Bell. On offense we need Ameer, Tommy, and Bell to be great leaders. This will inspire Westy and O-Line to play above their potential. On defense we need a couple more guys to step up and play at high level. Gerry, Gregory, Valentine, and McMullen seem to be capable. I am still looking for someone in the LB ranks to rise up.

We really need Bell and Gregory back if we want to be great. I have seen and analyzed too many Husker games over years and to me it now comes down to leadership and passion to be great. The last few years we have been thin in this area...Suh, Burkhead, and Lavonte David come to mind. TMart had it at times as well but there were never enough guys around him to be on a great team.

Here is what i learned:

Armstrong's passing game had some issues......other than the obvious of the pick 6......but he ran the zone read pretty well and was over 100 yards rushing (and no fumbles makes him un-Martinez like). McNeese was focused on stopping Abdullah and the offensive adjustments made were good. However, offensive execution struggled at times.....from Kenny Bell getting blown up on an option block to Jake Cotton's penalty negating Westy's catch. Defensively, our LBs are an issue. Pelini has said since spring one of the LBs needs to step up......apparently none have yet.

Ok seriously enough is enough.

It is incumbent upon coaching to ensure the linebackers, safeties, kick holders or whomever "step up". To expect that every 20 year old gets it organically is a coaching fault so profound it defies explanation.

Here is what i learned:

It is incumbent upon coaching to ensure the linebackers, safeties, kick holders or whomever "step up". To expect that every 20 year old gets it organically is a coaching fault so profound it defies explanation.

Still looking forward to the Tuesday Tuna Melt report.

Here is what i learned:

They will be delicious.

It'd be lovely to know why it's incumbent on me to affect change. If you're insinuating I don't give to my university you'll just have accept my word that I do.

Here is what i learned:

They will be delicious.

It'd be lovely to know why it's incumbent on me to affect change. If you're insinuating I don't give to my university you'll just have accept my word that I do.

No insinuation at all on my part......other than your routing number statement.....assuming you were referring to voting with your giving.

I'm not sure where this discussion was before but I'll put this here.

There were several comments about how we played a vanilla defense and never brought any pressure. On their first drive - 10 plays - we blitzed a LB on one play and blitzed a LB and Safety on two plays. Blitzing 30% of the time right out of the gate is not my definition of a passive game plan. And, as I mentioned earlier, we would have probably been better not blitzing as much as we did. Their first TD was one of the plays where we blitzed both Bando and Cooper but they had a draw called and he found a seam up the middle - the blitzers were toward the outside - and when he got through the line there was no one left to make the tackle.

I'm not sure where this discussion was before but I'll put this here.

There were several comments about how we played a vanilla defense and never brought any pressure. On their first drive - 10 plays - we blitzed a LB on one play and blitzed a LB and Safety on two plays. Blitzing 30% of the time right out of the gate is not my definition of a passive game plan. And, as I mentioned earlier, we would have probably been better not blitzing as much as we did. Their first TD was one of the plays where we blitzed both Bando and Cooper but they had a draw called and he found a seam up the middle - the blitzers were toward the outside - and when he got through the line there was no one left to make the tackle.

I noticed a few plays where we had a blitz dialed up against the run but, their RB's were able to bounce the ball to the outside where we no longer had a LB in containment. I think it's just the nature of football fans to remember what we want to see. It's easy to remember the blitz that knocked back the opponent's offense 5 yards but not the one that gave up an 80 yard tunnel screen (Georgia 2013). Just like it's easy to remember a running play that went for 15 yards but, not the run that lost 2 and put the offense in a 3rd and 6.

• Fire 1