Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

Actually I think most had MSU winning the Big Ten last year, much to the laughter of this ever knowing board.

No... no they didn't.

http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2013.html#big-ten

Big ten west. And people here laughed hysterically. Oops.

You're still wrong. Try reading the link, because only 1 publication picked them to even win the division.

I wrong in the fact that everyone here mocked the espn's of the world for picking MSU to win the west?

Ok, by the way nothing of this has anything to do with my points. If nitpicking the tertiary points of my argument somehow helps you feel better about what happened today, I suppose that's your right.

• Fire 2

The fact is, shawn screwed the pooch on Black Friday last year. I know the reaction by some is "fire bo" but I don't even know who I would want as a replacement.

shawn screwed the pooch because he had a policy that he stuck to, and failed to realize his head coach has the sensibility of a petulant child? ok.

as far as replacement, i doubt your input would be required. not our job to find a replacement. but if our baseline is 9 wins? i am sure there are plenty we could take a gamble on for the chance of having a higher ceiling than 10 wins.

Actually I think most had MSU winning the Big Ten last year, much to the laughter of this ever knowing board.

No... no they didn't.

You're still wrong. Try reading the link, because only 1 publication picked them to even win the division.

I wrong in the fact that everyone here mocked the espn's of the world for picking MSU to win the west?

Ok, by the way nothing of this has anything to do with my points. If nitpicking the tertiary points of my argument somehow helps you feel better about what happened today, I suppose that's your right.

You didn't even read any of my other responses, because you just assumed by my correction of your false assertions that I disagreed.

No... no they didn't.

You didn't even read any of my other responses, because you just assumed by my correction of your false assertions that I disagreed.

Well now my head just hurts.

The fact is, shawn screwed the pooch on Black Friday last year. I know the reaction by some is "fire bo" but I don't even know who I would want as a replacement.

shawn screwed the pooch because he had a policy that he stuck to, and failed to realize his head coach has the sensibility of a petulant child? ok.

as far as replacement, i doubt your input would be required. not our job to find a replacement. but if our baseline is 9 wins? i am sure there are plenty we could take a gamble on for the chance of having a higher ceiling than 10 wins.

So I'm not allowed to give my opinion now? I must have missed those rule changes. Either way, it's generally a good idea to hire a replacement that's better than the last guy, but since that's where we're in the spot we are, you know that.

And yes, Shawn screwed the pooch. He had a good chunk of the fanbase pissed (at Bo), and the media was calling for Bo's head, and he didn't pull the trigger.

• Fire 1

Beck needs to go. That's been clear for a while, and is more clear than ever now. I personally don't give a sh#t if it's tomorrow or at the end of the season, but he needs to pack his sh#t and head on out. Any offensive coordinator whose claim to fame is losing his mind and going full retard when the original offensive plan doesn't work is outright worthless in his position.

+1

I'm going to talk about Michigan State; not in an attempt to invalidate what you said, but instead try and draw a parallel between the Spartans and Nebraska. Each program is different, composed of different players from different walks of life with different skill sets and mentalities. Each program also has a different set of coaches with different philosophies and mentalities and ways of interacting with fans, players, and media. Each program should be judged in a vacuum because all those differences make it hard to draw accurate comparisons. But we know that is not the case, the only way we can gauge our standing is in comparison to other teams.

Anyways, in 2013 Michigan State opened the year against Western Michigan, a team that managed 1 win in 2013. Their offense sputtered their way to 297 yards on their way to a 26-13 win that was more the product of their defense than their team. People surely thought they would be in trouble. Those fears weren't ameliorated after MSU's 21-6 win over USF, a team that won 2 games in 2013. The offense didn't change. The defense was fine--better than fine actually--as they carried Sparty to a 2-0 start. Remind me how Michigan state did last year. No, you don't have to, because they didn't fade away into oblivion. They won all but one game (and you could argue they should have won that game as there were many a questionable calls favoring ND) on their way to winning the Big Ten and the Rose Bowl.

There was cause for concern in East Lansing, but they survived those two games and figured it out along the way. Nebraska can, too. We are still 2-0, and everything this team wants to achieve is still achievable. Beating McNeese State didn't hurt our chances for anything, and good performances from here on out, especially @ Michigan State and @ Wisconsin will erase the nightmare that was this game.

Before you talk about how this has been a system of Pelini teams, let me remind you that being good but not great was a staple of Dantonio teams as well.

But we don't have to use a Dantonio team for comparison. Let's look at the 2010 Huskers, who played another FCS team, South Dakota State. That game was hard to watch. We ended up winning 17-3. The sky was falling. But we racked up some pretty big wins @Oklahoma State and against Missouri on our way to a Big XII championship game that we really shouldn't have lost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have much to say to the rest of your post other than talking about Clinkscales and Stringfellow and the like of players who committed to Nebraska, but switched. Clinkscales switched to Kansas State; if I'm remembering correctly, he grew up in Kansas and has family in Kansas. The allure of playing for the home team, especially if they've had recent success like Kansas State has, is powerful; and there's not much Nebraska could ethically do to keep him here.

I bolded ethically because it speaks to the next recruit that Nebraska lost: Stringfellow. We lost DeMorea to Ole Miss, who despite no success in the SEC is all of a sudden pulling in these big recruiting classes. I'm going to stereotype here, and I'll apologize to the countless of athletes who aren't this way (they probably won't read this), but most don't give a damn about education and are more interested in all the free stuff (especially $$$) that they can get. Most don't care about tradition unless it's a tradition of getting free "unauthorized" stuff. Ole Miss, and most SEC schools for that matter, are doing stuff and it's somehow being swept and kept under the rug.

Oh, remember the whole idea that playing for your home team is a dream? Guess where all that talent calls home? Either the South or the West. I think we recruit the West well, but our options in the SE are limited to finding some diamonds in the rough because all the good talent goes to the SEC teams who literally treat their squads like NFL teams, cutting players in favor of better talent. I would be okay with that, if the SEC was in the NFL. But they aren't, and over-signing is something that should not happen. That is, however, the nature of the game today, and it's an adapt or die situation.

The only way we get the cream of the crop in SEC territory is if we offer more than what they're offering. I think we have the means to do just that, but that would be a breach of ethics that most of us would frown upon. So what are we to do? How are we to answer this dilemma?

They say winning heals all wounds. That's not always true. Just look at Ole Miss.

• Fire 4

So I'm not allowed to give my opinion now? I must have missed those rule changes.

And yes, Shawn screwed the pooch. He had a good chunk of the fanbase pissed, and the media was calling for Bo's head, and he didn't pull the trigger.

you are allowed your opinion, and frankly i enjoy it, just as we are when it is critical and maybe even acerbic.

but, i just do not think the issue should be who should replace bo. the issue is, should bo be replaced. then we can worry about who replaced him. but i think the who is secondary, because it will always be a risk.

i still do not think he screwed the pooch, unlike that time i tried to avoid sexual relations with that jack russel, but i do think he missed a prime opportunity to dump bo. so maybe he did screw the pooch in not being prepared.

damn, this may be the second time today i ended up better seeing you point and agreeing.

There, we're all back, and we need to discuss the endemic problem plaguing Nebraska football, until there are drastic, sweeping changes made on the coaching staff, probably including it's head coach, this is our fate.

Let me summarize your lengthy diatribe. You don't like Bo. You believe NU is still an elite football program. 9 wins sucks to you.

A whole page of bitching. Anybody can piss and moan. Come with solutions and make things interesting....not nearly as easy.

He did offer a solution. You just choose to ignore it. Something is wrong and has been for 7 seasons. Here is to hoping the man in charge figures it out because like it or not, it all falls on him. That is how it works when you are the boss.

Beck needs to go. That's been clear for a while, and is more clear than ever now. I personally don't give a sh#t if it's tomorrow or at the end of the season, but he needs to pack his sh#t and head on out. Any offensive coordinator whose claim to fame is losing his mind and going full retard when the original offensive plan doesn't work is outright worthless in his position.

this seems obvious. but we had these same problems with watson. how many oc's will we go through before we address the one constant?

So I'm not allowed to give my opinion now? I must have missed those rule changes.

And yes, Shawn screwed the pooch. He had a good chunk of the fanbase pissed, and the media was calling for Bo's head, and he didn't pull the trigger.

I think he was saying that the dept wouldn't consult you. Nor I, or him for that matter.

Eichorst didn't throw the switch on the move post Iowa I'm guessing because he was taken off guard by what Bo did, didn't have his ducks in a row, and the staunch T.O. Supporters on the board of regents demanded an hard and fast plan in a very short time.

As for who we -could-get, I mean, there's no shortage of people who probably could handily beat McNeese St and not get embarrassed by the teams that matter with our resources. I think the underlying point is that, a lot of people were wondering if NU could stay interested in winning convincingly against an FCS school after a big win over a bad opponent. And they couldn't.

• Fire 3

NuPolo, great post. I spent a lot of time the last few hours reading opinions all over this board. I must admit that folks have swayed me to believe that bad things are ahead. I have to admit that there has been only one constant in the seven years under Bo, and that's inconsistency. Great coaches infect their players with a great attitude. I don't hate Bo. In fact, I have been pulling hard for him this year. However, after today, even I have to admit that Bo has failed to impart a fighting spirit into his teams. It's usually Bo, then the team. They are never one. I don't know why Bo can't inject these guys with enthusiasm, but he can't. The reality is that this team will sputter. I was foolish to think that Bo had turned the corner. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Bo's done this for 7 years. Why was I foolish enough to expect a new result?

• Fire 2