**** What did we learn - Miami Edition ****

walksalone

Second Quarter:

Starting to think that Kaaya is worse than I thought and Miami's tight ends are really that good. Offensive formations and predicting match up zone, Miami's tight ends are running routes knowing they have to keep their man on them with coverage responsibilities and disrupt the linebackers trying to cover Johnson out of the backfield. Watford runs good routes to shield off defenders although being well covered.

TA's touchdown to AA is not a check down, but a designed play. They let the tackle come free up the field as the tackle pushed out the defensive end. Kenny runs up the field to push off the corner from the LOS. TA dumps the pass to AA and Kenny is responsible for coming back to pick up the linebacker flowing to the play. This leaves AA on the corner, again, who can't make the tackle.

Nebraska is noticing the rub routes and turn to more blitzes and watching Kaaya. The first play Gerry misses Johnson at the LOS and the play goes for four yards. The next play, the defense is reading Kaaya and Cockrell undercuts his man and tips a pass. Third and long, Nebraska brings pressure and Kaaya heaves the ball down field well short of his man on a deep route. If Gerry were looking, it is an easy pick, but he expects the ball to be on the money.

Obvious hands to the face is not called on Miami getting on Lewis' face mask.

• Fire 2

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen 1m

Alex Lewis said Mike Moudy had the most pancakes against Miami. Third different lineman to win the weekly “belt” this year.

Maybe I'm not paying attention to the right things, but this is the first I've heard of tracking pancake blocks in a while. The way our linemen so quickly disengage from blocks has led me to believe we've gone away from this entirely.

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen 1m

Alex Lewis said Mike Moudy had the most pancakes against Miami. Third different lineman to win the weekly “belt” this year.

Maybe I'm not paying attention to the right things, but this is the first I've heard of tracking pancake blocks in a while. The way our linemen so quickly disengage from blocks has led me to believe we've gone away from this entirely.

Football has really evolved. It really is more of a finesse game. Even in the trenches. While its great to get a guy of his feet, I'm sure that's not the main focus anymore. If you watch how the line blocks, even on power runs, the technique is really centered around just engaging and getting in his way. With backs of the speed and quickness of guys like Abdullah, all they need is that slight crease. With things like zone blocking and spread offenses, you get the defenses spread out to the point that you dont need a PUSH, but rather just get a hat on a hat. The need to move guys out like in the past with tight ends and i formations that invited 10 defenders into the box are kinda gone. So this idea that we're keepin track of pancakes again intrigues me. But I like it. It's a tradition here like the Blackshirts.

Third Quarter:

Miami's third quarter adjustment was to just start blitzing the corner whenever they could, but leave two high safeties. Against the zone read, this had little affect, but on the pass to Carter, it created enough pressure to force TA to throw too quick. The Miami linebacker holds Carter and Nebraska gets an automatic first down. Nebraska counters the blitzing corner after this with Newby in motion to take a zone read with a wide receiver sweep type action. Carter and AA lead block for Newby which causes Miami to flow toward him, but Lewis pulls from that side and runs a counter with TA. Lewis picks up the linebacker trying to stay home with TA and the free safety is forced to make the tackle down field. Miami now trying to over compensate, pushes both outside line backers shade well out side of the tackles in there 3-4 scheme and the next two runs are right at the heart of the defense where the second goes for six.

Miami attempts to fake a sweep and leave extra blockers in to give Kaaya plenty of time to find an open receiver. He has time, but after several moments floats a bad pass short to a well covered receiver. Miami goes back to running spread formations with 4 wide sets and quick screens. With two receivers, Miami has success with the tunnel screen picking up 5 and 6 yards a pop. Miami tries a screen to a three receiver set and gets shut down. Running the ball continues to be just successful enough to keep drives alive as Roach misses an opportunity to stop a drive but is stiff armed by Johnson.

Miami still refuses to put more than 6 players in the box with 3 receivers, one TE, and one RB in formation by Nebraska. They continue to let a corner play run first with eyes in the back field, but nobody willing to hug the LOS. We run the ball effectively again, until TA throws a pick on the first throw of that drive.

Miami is having success in 4 wide sets running and passing. When they bring the TE into the formation to run the chunk yards aren't there. After slipping past Bando on a delayed handoff the previous play, Miami brings two TE into the formation. With bodies around to bottle up Johnson, Roach rips the ball out and Mitchell takes it to the house.

Miami is comes back with TE sets running the ball and the extra bodies are not working to Miami's favor. Kaaya continues to go to the well with the TE and Gerry grabs the pick. It is negated and the next throw is from the same formation and same route again for a big gain.

• Fire 2

4th Quarter:

In the shadow of the goal line to start the fourth quarter, Nebraska outclasses Miami's O-Line on back to back plays. One sack and a TFL on Johnson.

More of the same from Miami until Nebraska get to the Miami 25 on third down. Miami finally brings 7 into the box and Nebraska throws. Kenny drops an in route that easily could have been a score, but Cotton is called for pass interference on the pick play so it doesn't really matter. Brown banks in a field goal. Still Counts!

Kaaya has his hand looked at during the timeout before the 4th down pick. Doesn't mean anything as he stares down his receiver and Kalu reads his eyes.

Nothing left to say about the rest except, "You can't hurt a guy with all those pads on."

Miami basically hands Nebraska the game with penalties.

• Fire 1

First quarter:

We punted once. The reason was Cotton not picking up the edge that would have got AA the room he needed. Beck had used the same formation three plays in a row and still had a good call. #poorexecution

Miami runs rub routes on match up zone and Kaaya tends to have a single option on most throws. Kaaya throws good passes, but receivers aren't catching them. As the quarter continues, it becomes more obvious that Kaaya is throwing to Watford anytime he is under pressure whether Watford is open or not.

TA misreads the safety back pedal presnap and has numbers if he hands off to Cross. He keeps, however, and gets hit after two yards. If Pelini were to hold his block, it is Cross on the free safety.

Great job by Tommy on his adjustment with Westerkamp. Goes with a quick throw to Westy after recognizing Miami's DB who was supposed to be covering Westerkamp was on the other side of the field. Miami's safety I believe #2 was actually yelling at his DB to get over there. Easy throw, good gain.

Miami still refuses to put more than 6 players in the box with 3 receivers, one TE, and one RB in formation by Nebraska. They continue to let a corner play run first with eyes in the back field, but nobody willing to hug the LOS. We run the ball effectively again, until TA throws a pick on the first throw of that drive.

I think this just says a ton about how much they feared the big play. It makes sense, they should fear it. Every team we play from here out should fear it. That's the beautiful thing about this offense going forward.

Another great thing we saw was some timing routes really coming together in the Miami game. Plays where Tommy threw the ball to a spot before the receiver made their cut or turn.....those passes were spot on and impossible to defend. We keep developing that and we will be even scarier than we already are.

Rewatching the game tonight, the first quarter and a good chunk of the 2nd, they only rushed 4 and occasionally would bring an extra guy. I'm not as good a X's and O's guy as some of y'all, but wouldn't you want to bring a couple extra guys, maybe help free up Gregory or another lineman?

I was worried about this after the second play where they burned us on a draw, shades of UCLA in my head. But we basically stuffed the run with 5 to 7 in the box and sometimes 4 I think, which is nice. Last year I don't think we could get away with this because of the youth and we got burned a lot. It may bite us later on, but I think they would rather cover the receivers and stop the big pass play and give up 6 or 7 yards on the ground. The whole make them drive the field/bend don't break philosophy.