We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.

But beat Michigan State...........

Oh....I fully agree with this. If/when we lose our first game, this board will be filled with absolutely every negative ninny claiming from the highest mountain that "SEE....WE WERE RIGHT!!! WE SUCK!!!"

I'm just tired of our own fans trying to convince me we suck and I shouldn't be excited about the year.

Yep. It's funny because they get something out of life telling guys on a message board that they were right, and we were wrong...

This happens and is happening more when the inverse is true.

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.

We've turned into what Colorado once was...

But beat Nebraska...

Michigan State is the reigning champion. Who else in the B1G would you have us hold our light to? If Northwestern had won the B1G last year people would be saying...wait until NW.

#FireBo

It was a reference to the season doesn't matter unless we beat MSU...

Like CU, cared mostly about the NU game.

We've turned into what Colorado once was...

But beat Nebraska...

It seems like you're working really hard to miss the point of what's being talked about here.

Solely beating MSU doesn't salvage the season. But it does begin to show proof of something different.

Any perceived negativity coming from me is at the fault of the person who believes that.

lies.gif

Well if I'm being negative, you're on my team. Because I believe the exact same thing you did when you started this thread. Nebraska is exactly where I thought they'd be at this point if the season. I've been saying for awhile there are four games that make this season, the first of which is in two weeks.

That gif (which is awesome as hell) is more a commentary on the past 11 months here than this particular thread.

The reality is, is that we have no idea how good (or bad) Miami or any of the other teams are, for that fact.

Um, yes we do. We totally do. It can't be 100% accurately quantified, but anyone who has watched them play football this year as a pretty good general idea of how good they are.

yeah, they are the team that lost to the team that lost to virginia. given the context of those three teams, we can assume miami is not very good.

We knew coming into the season we should start 5-0 and Michigan State is the first real test, right? How is what knapplc and polo are saying suddenly controversial?

It's fine if you have no interest in reality, but to most people it kind of matters.

Knowing that we "should" be 4-0 at this point and that we are in fact 4-0 at this point is - as mentioned - an accomplishment.

For some of our more qualitative vs. quantative fans, the visible improvements on both sides of the ball, and some stellar individual performances by Nebraska players have produced a mildly pleasant sensation.

I was unaware that further expectations among fans had exceeded all reason. Last I checked everyone is still wary of Illinois and hopeful/doubtful/frightened about Michigan State.

Seriously, is anyone under the illusion Nebraska can't possibly lose four games this season?

Likewise, is it the least bit unrealistic that Nebraska could go on and win the Big 10?

Is HuskerBoard doing anything more than saying "so far, so good?"

Hard to say complacency is an issue here. Bo Pelini's team's have often been inconsistent, unfocused and undisciplined. It's pretty hard to be complacent when you're getting wake-up calls or soul-crushing losses every other week and your coach is on the verge of getting shitcanned.

And those are the players. If you want to tell them they've accomplished nothing this season, you know where to find them.

If we're talking about Nebraska fans in Bo Pelini's seventh year, it's pretty unrealistic to suggest complacency is an issue.

As someone mentioned, hope is free. Doesn't hurt anybody. Reality comes soon enough.

Given how often some moderators chide posters for negative trolling, this thread seems a little over the top.

We haven't won a really big game yet. We get it. Don't need the lecture.

• Fire 3

Any perceived negativity coming from me is at the fault of the person who believes that.

lies.gif

Well if I'm being negative, you're on my team. Because I believe the exact same thing you did when you started this thread. Nebraska is exactly where I thought they'd be at this point if the season. I've been saying for awhile there are four games that make this season, the first of which is in two weeks.

That gif (which is awesome as hell) is more a commentary on the past 11 months here than this particular thread.

I hate misinterpreting your gifs.

lies.gif

I hate misinterpreting your gifs.

i am still trying to interpret it.

The reality is, is that we have no idea how good (or bad) Miami or any of the other teams are, for that fact.

Um, yes we do. It can't be 100% accurately quantified, but anyone who has watched them play football has a pretty good general idea of how good they are.

Seriously there will be those on the board that downplay the MSU game if we win because they lost to Oregon, who knows. Oregon might lose to Arizona next thursday making it a "REALITY" that maybe MSU isn't that good.

Let's worry about that if and when it happens.

Haha! A "general" idea. Yea a general idea that tells us Miami could win out or go 5-7. That's a general idea. Knowing that neither will happen....but that's the general idea of them.

Um, yes we do. We totally do. It can't be 100% accurately quantified, but anyone who has watched them play football this year as a pretty good general idea of how good they are.

yeah, they are the team that lost to the team that lost to virginia. given the context of those three teams, we can assume miami is not very good.

Or...the Virginia team that UCLA struggled with, who just put 62 on #15 Arizona State. Can I assume that UCLA is horrible? or is Virginia just better than they've been. Is BYU that good? (UCLA struggles with Texas, Texas gets blown out vs BYU)

I don't recall who said it, but being transitive in the interpretation of this kind of thing is useless. Means nothing.

Or...the Virginia team that UCLA struggled with, who just put 62 on #15 Arizona State. Can I assume that UCLA is horrible? or is Virginia just better than they've been. Is BYU that good? (UCLA struggles with Texas, Texas gets blown out vs BYU)

I don't recall who said it, but being transitive in the interpretation of this kind of thing is useless. Means nothing.

right. nothing at this point means anything. ergo, nebraska has accomplished nothing.

• Fire 2

Um, yes we do. It can't be 100% accurately quantified, but anyone who has watched them play football has a pretty good general idea of how good they are.

Seriously there will be those on the board that downplay the MSU game if we win because they lost to Oregon, who knows. Oregon might lose to Arizona next thursday making it a "REALITY" that maybe MSU isn't that good.

Let's worry about that if and when it happens.

Haha! A "general" idea. Yea a general idea that tells us Miami could win out or go 5-7. That's a general idea. Knowing that neither will happen....but that's the general idea of them.

I honestly can't discern a coherent point.

We know they're not close to being one of the top 25 teams in the land. Whether they're the 50th best or the 90th best isn't really important. They're not a very good team. We have an idea of what they are.