B1G vs. SEC

Creed

Buster it depends on whether you count sheer volume, or are using a weighted average or a central mean. Obviously a central mean is probably best. The Pac-12 has 6 teams roughly within that range, and if you stretch it a little bit you can include a seventh in Arizona, just like I stretched the SEC a bit to say you can include that 9th team in Texas A&M. But obviously there are only 12 teams in the Pac-12. That's why the margin isn't huge.

I'm obviously not gonna bother to reply to deedsker's stupidity

To me it's pretty clear the Pac 12 is the better conference this year. The SEC didn't hardly beat anyone with a pulse in the OOC. They then spent the rest of the year with the media drooling all over them while they beat up on each other. They then laid a big egg (relative to what the media thought they would do) in the bowl games. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 actually played some good teams in the OOC with their best team beating a top ten team (possibly top 5) and they have a team in the championship game after winning a playoff game.

I think it's laughable that someone would say "well, the Pac 12 is getting closer". Dude, they passed them up.

Was talking to my roommate this weekend about where we would rank the various conferences for this year top to bottom. IMO it goes:

1)PAC-12 - Clear frontrunner

2-3)B1G/SEC - Both seemed to be pretty evenly matched this year, all teams considered.

4)Big 12 - Yes, TCU and Baylor are both elite teams but aside from that, Big 12 is a conference with a whole lot of offense and no defense. No other real standout teams, aside from maybe KSU.

I would agree the the Pac-12 is looking a little better than the SEC, but I don't know that they are the clear front runner. I would also say that SEC would be #2 and I would put B1G #3. I think this bowl season has said a lot about how the SEC is down a little bit from what they have been in the past couple of years. I know that some people want to argue that bowl games don't really matter as much and they don't measure that much, but they measure quite a bit IMO.

PAC-12 has a team in the national championship game and went 6-2 in bowl games this year and 8-4 against P5 non conference opponents. I would say that makes them #1 without a doubt.

I am agreeing that they are #1, but some people are making it sound like they are a long ways in front of the SEC and I just don't agree with that. I think they are slightly better than the SEC at this point. I would unfortunately have to put the SEC at the clear #2 ahead of the B1G though.

SEC: No team in the national championship. 7-5 in bowl games and 6-6 against P5 non conference opponents in regular season

B1G: Team in the national championship. 5-5 in bowl games. 6-11 against P5 non conference opponents in regular season.

Alright so here is a question going forward and one that I don't know the answer to but have some opinion on, which is this:

How would you rank the conferences

A) next year

B) for the overall next 5 years

I think that for 2015 it is very clearly

1. SEC

2. Pac

3. Big 12

4. Big Ten

5. ACC

And for the next 5 years

1.SEC

2. Pac

3. Big 12 = Big Ten

5. ACC

I think FSU will take a step back next year, and depending on how DeShaun Watson develops, Clemson could be the class of the ACC for the next couple years. Oklahoma had about as disappointing a year as any team in the entire country this year, and Texas has yet to get established in the Strong era. With any sort of quarterback whatsoever, they'll be back to winning soon. TCU and Baylor both have Top-10 coaches in the nation and have devoted resources to winning. They are going to be winning programs going forward. But Kansas State without Snyder will likely regress, Gundy is not a good coach IMO, and West Virginia is likely a perennial 7-8 win team. Meanwhile the Big Ten looks to be on the way up, but Michigan won't be back next year, Wisconsin might take a step back, Nebraska and Penn State is still in quasi-transition modes (who knows?) and the bottom of the Big Ten continues to be atrocious.

The Pac-12 is super interesting and I'm not sold on their future, but Oregon will win as long as Knight is there. USC isn't going to win championships under Sark, but they'll win 8-9 games a year. UCLA might be in trouble if (when) Mora jumps to the NFL, and same with Stanford and Shaw (NFL loves Shaw). Arizona and Arizona State both look like they have bright futures, and Washington remains a huge wild card. The Peterson era has been disappointing so far there. Cal and WSU - who knows, they seem to be content putting up 60 points a game and not fielding a defense. But at any rate, the California/Arizona recruiting grounds are super fertile. Pac will keep being strong.

Hard to see any league being better than the SEC over the next 5 years though. As long as the best recruits in the nation continue to be produced in their backyard and the likes of Saban, Miles, Richt, Bielema, Mullen, etc stay there, they'll be the best over the 5-year period. It's simply hard to beat the geographical advantage in recruiting, especially when the league also has a perception advantage and a recruiting rules advantage. Anyways, the two teams I'm most interested in seeing what happens going forward are Arkansas and Tennessee.

But I am interested in seeing others' opinions as well.

Alright so here is a question going forward and one that I don't know the answer to but have some opinion on, which is this:

How would you rank the conferences

A) next year

B) for the overall next 5 years

I think that for 2015 it is very clearly

1. SEC

2. Pac

3. Big 12

4. Big Ten

5. ACC

And for the next 5 years

1.SEC

2. Pac

3. Big 12 = Big Ten

5. ACC

I think FSU will take a step back next year, and depending on how DeShaun Watson develops, Clemson could be the class of the ACC for the next couple years. Oklahoma had about as disappointing a year as any team in the entire country this year, and Texas has yet to get established in the Strong era. With any sort of quarterback whatsoever, they'll be back to winning soon. TCU and Baylor both have Top-10 coaches in the nation and have devoted resources to winning. They are going to be winning programs going forward. But Kansas State without Snyder will likely regress, Gundy is not a good coach IMO, and West Virginia is likely a perennial 7-8 win team. Meanwhile the Big Ten looks to be on the way up, but Michigan won't be back next year, Wisconsin might take a step back, Nebraska and Penn State is still in quasi-transition modes (who knows?) and the bottom of the Big Ten continues to be atrocious.

The Pac-12 is super interesting and I'm not sold on their future, but Oregon will win as long as Knight is there. USC isn't going to win championships under Sark, but they'll win 8-9 games a year. UCLA might be in trouble if (when) Mora jumps to the NFL, and same with Stanford and Shaw (NFL loves Shaw). Arizona and Arizona State both look like they have bright futures, and Washington remains a huge wild card. The Peterson era has been disappointing so far there. Cal and WSU - who knows, they seem to be content putting up 60 points a game and not fielding a defense. But at any rate, the California/Arizona recruiting grounds are super fertile. Pac will keep being strong.

Hard to see any league being better than the SEC over the next 5 years though. As long as the best recruits in the nation continue to be produced in their backyard and the likes of Saban, Miles, Richt, Bielema, Mullen, etc stay there, they'll be the best over the 5-year period. It's simply hard to beat the geographical advantage in recruiting, especially when the league also has a perception advantage and a recruiting rules advantage. Anyways, the two teams I'm most interested in seeing what happens going forward are Arkansas and Tennessee.

But I am interested in seeing others' opinions as well.

I know you are trying to just foster good discussion but this is s game I'll refuse to play simply because I think this is what is wrong with college football rankings.

People go into it with preconceived ideas of who is best. I think that is what is clouding your view of what happened this year.

The SEC has done nothing this year to be ranked #1 but you still put them there because of where you perceived they started the year.

• Fire 1

I'm not saying that's what WILL happen, I'm saying this is what's most likely to happen based on how the college football landscape has set itself up going forward. Next year I will evaluate on its own merits, period. I have no dog in the fight. I don't care when my predictions go wrong.

Please don't take my last post as being an ass. But, how in the heck can you make that judgment like you asked when things constantly change in college football?

How the heck can you make any prediction? Yet as sports fans we do this all the time. There's a Contest Crib every week asking us to predict the final score of the game. Who knows? What about Nebraska? Maybe Nebraska will win 7 games next year, maybe we'll win 12, who knows? But we can make educated guesses. I'm just curious what others' educated guesses are. Lighten up.