Some of last nights coaching decisions were baffling

Why did we punt the ball to Michigan St at their own 30 (this was on our 1st offensive series)? Was pinning them back 10 extra yards really worth not trying to score? If Pelini didn't have confidence in the kicker, why not go for it?

The team needs a TD desperately...haven't scored one all game...Ryker Fyfe comes in & he leads us into the end zone! Then he gets pulled...

The onside kick attempt was a bad call I feel...it has a less than 10 percent chance of working...we're only down 5 with over 3 minutes to play...and the defense is hot...

I also disagreed with going for 2 after the 1st TD but I can at least understand that one

1. Did you see our opening kickoff? It was fielded well short of the endline because of the strong wind

2. Tommy came back in and leads us to another TD.

3. Agreed. Didn't really agree with that. Sparty was expecting it

4. Not sure why we went for two the first time. My thinking is we would have only needed two TDs and two 2-pt conversions to tie it and not 2 TDs and a field goal. Maybe someone else can explain that one

I thought we could've tried a 48-yard FG as well, but the weather may have figured into that decision.

With the punt, there was the potential for a lot more than just 10 yards of field difference, though ultimately that's what we got. Also, I believe a missed FG means the ball turns over where the holder is, so in reality, it was 18 yards of field position with the potential for up to 20 more.

Tommy got hurt, in case you missed that. In case you also missed the end of the game, putting him back in was the right call.

Can't disagree with the onside call. Had to try. Michigan State could have taken an extra 40 seconds off the clock if Langford had stayed in bounds. Give them a longer field and they could have done it a lot more easily. We were right up against the clock anyway, and getting the ball back was worth the risk. Either way, the defense has to come up with a few stops or it's over. Also, we had 0 timeouts.

When you're down 27-3 and you score, you have to try to make it a 2-point game. We were on the cusp of being blown out. We were very, very lucky to have had enough time for a 3rd scoring opportunity after that first TD. A quick punt return that didn't require an offensive series, and Langford going out of bounds. You have to try to make it a 2-score game because if you don't, it really takes a miracle set of circumstances to have a chance.

Also, bear in mind that missing the first 2-point try isn't a big deal, because you have another shot at 2 points to make up for it later if you need to go the TD-TD-FG route. I don't know why anybody would resign themselves to that route in the first place when there's a chance for better. If you'll notice, we tried for 2, kicked a PAT, and tried for 2 again -- exactly the right calls each time.

• Fire 1

Why did we punt the ball to Michigan St at their own 30 (this was on our 1st offensive series)? Was pinning them back 10 extra yards really worth not trying to score? If Pelini didn't have confidence in the kicker, why not go for it?

The team needs a TD desperately...haven't scored one all game...Ryker Fyfe comes in & he leads us into the end zone! Then he gets pulled...

The onside kick attempt was a bad call I feel...it has a less than 10 percent chance of working...we're only down 5 with over 3 minutes to play...and the defense is hot...

I also disagreed with going for 2 after the 1st TD but I can at least understand that one

Coaching wasnt great, but at the end of the day.. I think i have to use Bo's favorite word and say "Execution was off"

We knew that MSU likes to send unique blitzes and I guarantee you they practiced for it.. but all I saw all day long was Sterup getting burned play after play.

I also think the ball/weather messed with Tommy. His throws were so off most of the night, i just think he had a hard time gripping the ball and our o-line couldnt do anything to get the run to work.

To touch on each of your points:

1) So early in the ball game and i assumed they were worried about field position. Freshman kicker/bad weather compared to a very good punter who you think could maybe put them in there own 10... possibly giving us a great chance at better field position. I dont mind that choice.

2) Ryker looked scared and while i get the backup QB is always everyones favorite player... Tommy turned it around and proved he can get it done.... I still think you dont want to give up on Tommy. It sends the wrong message for the rest of the season.

3) Hindsight on this one. I dont mind it because with no timeouts, 2 first downs and we are down. We got lucky with the guy going out of bounds and the miss kick.. but I still think you need to try and get the ball back.

4) Again.. hindsight on this one.. 3 touchdowns + 3 2 point conversions and we are tied... Tough call, but I think they had to try and take advantage of it being a 3 score game(24 points)

I understand the frustration with the outcome, but think it was on the O-line and Tommy.

I realize that Tommy got hurt. And I definitely watched the end of the game. In case you didn't it ended on an interception so I don't understand how that proves pulling Fyfe was the right call.

The last interception wasn't on Tommy. He made the correct read and threw the correct pass, the WR got bumped and taken off route. Had the WR been where he should have been he catches it and probably has a 15+ yard game if not a TD.

Definitely not on Tommy.

• Fire 3

1.) Agree. Play to win the game. Not lose it. If the wind is a factor you need to go for it when your on their 30. Even if its 4th and 10.

2.) Who knows, maybe Fyfe would have thrown picks left and right. His passes were off the mark when he was in. But you never know.

3.) I agree with the on-side. Play to win. You take every opportunity you can get. They got it too. Not the on-side, but the defense buckled down, forced a missed FG with plenty of time on the clock as was evidenced.

4.) I agree with going for the two. Made sense at the time with what was left on the clock.

I agree 100% with you. If we would have kicked our PATs, we could have kicked a field goal to tie the game. Baffling for sure!!!

Was there an error made in the coin flip last night? Did we give up the wind and the ball? My neighbor keeps telling me we made a mistake right away- someone help settle this... thanks

I thought this was a big mistake too. We won flip, deferred, so Sparty chose to receive, and we choose to not take the wind. When on the road, underdog, with a strong wind I believe you should always take the wind first quarter when you have the chance.

In those circumstances you want to get off to a fast start and taking the wind is crucial to this if for no other reason than easier to change field position.

Then look at what happened. We get turnovers in their territory and cant even attempt FGs b/c of the wind. Not sure if it was a coaching, player, or communication mistake but i think it cost us points.

I realize that Tommy got hurt. And I definitely watched the end of the game. In case you didn't it ended on an interception so I don't understand how that proves pulling Fyfe was the right call.

Agree. Would have stayed with Ryker. In Tommy's last three drives, he threw two interceptions (Okay, one, but that MSU defender had a clear pick-six on the one that went through his hands). People can say Ryker looked scared, but he did something no other QB wearing an N on his helmet had done in the game: Get in the end zone.

The onside kick was baffling. I would have kicked it deep and let or D go to work.

My biggest coaching was obviously Beck and his lack of anything.

Not a Bo defender, but he took over ST (per Cotton IIRC at Big Red B'fast) and it is light years ahead. Against UM, IIRC, Bo was calling in the plays. What Bo has a direct hand in seems to be improving. Hands off on the O and IMO, it shows. Not that this D is 2009 quality, but our O last night was reminiscent of that O. Don't mess up, go 3 and out, the D will take over.

I hope to one day (soon) see the day NU fields a top quality D and O. Definition is one that can play with and beat ranked opponents.