Nebraska mindset needs refinement

To my eye, this Husker team seemed tougher than previous years. A lot of it appeared to come from Abdullah and Armstrong setting a tone, and a more prideful (and probably talented) defense.

That may still be the case. I honestly can't tell anymore. I'm holding out the possibility that Michigan State University just has better players and better coaches.

Last time we licked our wounds after a big loss, regrouped with a bye week and played Northwestern at home, we came out unfocused, undisciplined and almost crapped the bed.

I'd like this time to be different.

The last 2 years this has happened actually. In 2012, we got Northwestern, after a buy week, after getting our teeth kicked in. Didnt go so well then either.

To my eye, this Husker team seemed tougher than previous years. A lot of it appeared to come from Abdullah and Armstrong setting a tone, and a more prideful (and probably talented) defense.

That may still be the case. I honestly can't tell anymore. I'm holding out the possibility that Michigan State University just has better players and better coaches.

Last time we licked our wounds after a big loss, regrouped with a bye week and played Northwestern at home, we came out unfocused, undisciplined and almost crapped the bed.

I'd like this time to be different.

I don't know. Everyone tried to pass off McNeese as a blip on the radar when they held Abdullah to 50 yards rushing. Well, we saw Saturday that it really wasn't a blip. It's who we are as a team, who we've been for years. Typically look great against weak competition, though we definitely throw out the occasional clunker (SDSU, Northwestern, McNeese, Iowa State... the list goes on), and then against prime time competition, we get exposed (Ohio State, Wisconsin, UCLA, MSU). I'd like it to be different too, but there's really no reason to expect it to be at this point. I expect a dogfight at NW next week that could go either way. Then I expect us to beat Rutgers fairly easily, lose to Wisconsin, possibly Minnesota, and beat Iowa. Probably finish the regular season 9-3 and with this schedule, I don't see how you could justify keeping Bo.

We listened to the game last Sat night via Sat Radio while driving home from Montana to Idaho via Lolo Pass. Only exciting thing was deer in the ditches.....and the deer executed better than our O-line.............I watched the tape when we got home - OMG we played two steps behind that defense every down - the O-line couldn't figure out their assignments and we didn't/couldn't get any time or space to open up lanes for our RB's..our tight ends and receivers didn't protect on the corners or options...wow...I'd have to say we were Shut Down, Blown Out until Sparty quit.

Darn it, I am so sad it has come to this.

GBR

Probably finish the regular season 9-3 and with this schedule, I don't see how you could justify keeping Bo.

As has been discussed many times, any coach who wins 70% or more of his games is in little to no danger of being let go.

What if he has an affair with a lady in the athletic department and gets a student pregnant?

Sorry, couldn't resist..

• Fire 1

Probably finish the regular season 9-3 and with this schedule, I don't see how you could justify keeping Bo.

As has been discussed many times, any coach who wins 70% or more of his games is in little to no danger of being let go.

What if he has an affair with a lady in the athletic department and gets a student pregnant?

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Bo Pelini not Carl Pelini

The bye week could not have come at a better time. A chance to look at film and player rest is going to be huge down the stretch. As I get more aquainted with TB's mutiple offense the greater I appreciate it. If it is effecient and effective it would be hard to prepare for and fun to play in.

I think the article is right about the mindset. Growing up a husker fan in 1980 and 1990's that defense was nasty. Guys flew to the ball, wreckless, aggresive and well coached. The blackshirts were tough and displined young men. I can imange an attitude were everyone has "each others back" coaches on down. Not in this house. Not anywhere. Micthell and Gregory have that now if only it can be a "theme". IMO could help.

sh#t, growing up the opposing qb to me was the bravest person in the world.

If only we had someone in the locker room who would say something like this to get the team fired up before a big game...

Let's have some fun. And play with PASSION. The most physical ass football team. Thats the one thats going to win this game. The team that hits the other RIGHT THERE. RIGHT THERE! Underneath the chin. And we got that N on the side of our helmet and that is what the N is all about. So lets take that N, stick it underneath their chin FOR FOUR QUARTERS AND GET AFTER SOMEBODIES ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only we had someone in the locker room who would say something like this to get the team fired up before a big game...

Let's have some fun. And play with PASSION. The most physical ass football team. Thats the one thats going to win this game. The team that hits the other RIGHT THERE. RIGHT THERE! Underneath the chin. And we got that N on the side of our helmet and that is what the N is all about. So lets take that N, stick it underneath their chin FOR FOUR QUARTERS AND GET AFTER SOMEBODIES ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we miss Tom Osborne, Head Football Coach at Nebraska.

Yeah, we miss Tom Osborne, Head Football Coach at Nebraska.

Oh, you cheeky monkey. I don't think Dr Tom says the word ass.

There is a lot to say for longevity at the coaching positions. Anybody who can't see an improvement in this program this season is lost in the world of poor losers. You can say MSU quit but I say not so fast, and the fact is our boys didn't quit. I was very unhappy about the way this game turned out but it is another learning experience, another page to add to the book of knowledge for these coaches and players. Will they get, we shall see.

The mindset needs refinement, but it's much better and getting better. This game would have ended up 27 to 3 or worse in the past several years even if MSU did quit.

The recruiting is better and gaining momentum year after year now. You get rid of this coach now and you'll have a dumpster fire on your hands mark it down. Those folks who are quick to jump to that side of the isle deserve a Bill Callahan program. up/down, up/down, up/down. A guy that is tied with the #9 team in the country in the Cotton Bowl after having gifted them a touchdown and goes for a fake punt, in I believe the 2nd qtr, on his own 25 or something like that, gifting them another touchdown only to lose by 3. It would be one thing if that was it, every coach makes dumb decisions in their career but his just kept on coming. He tore this program down to where what was didn't even exist anymore. Where I grew up, we knew this when he was hired and all we could do was shake our head in dismay because we knew what was coming.

I say that to say this, get rid of this coach and we'll lose all the momentum in recruiting, I don't care, outside of a few who aren't available, who the coach is that we replace him with and that is no small thing. Will there be a time to move on from Pelini, maybe, but it isn't now or this year or the next. Been waiting a long time to get over the hump as many, but don't believe it isn't changing for the better until it isn't. In fact this last game should tell you that more than telling you we're stuck in the same old rut.

There is a lot to say for longevity at the coaching positions. Anybody who can't see an improvement in this program this season is lost in the world of poor losers. You can say MSU quit but I say not so fast, and the fact is our boys didn't quit. I was very unhappy about the way this game turned out but it is another learning experience, another page to add to the book of knowledge for these coaches and players. Will they get, we shall see.

The mindset needs refinement, but it's much better and getting better. This game would have ended up 27 to 3 or worse in the past several years even if MSU did quit.

The recruiting is better and gaining momentum year after year now. You get rid of this coach now and you'll have a dumpster fire on your hands mark it down. Those folks who are quick to jump to that side of the isle deserve a Bill Callahan program. up/down, up/down, up/down. A guy that is tied with the #9 team in the country in the Cotton Bowl after having gifted them a touchdown and goes for a fake punt, in I believe the 2nd qtr, on his own 25 or something like that, gifting them another touchdown only to lose by 3. It would be one thing if that was it, every coach makes dumb decisions in their career but his just kept on coming. He tore this program down to where what was didn't even exist anymore. Where I grew up, we knew this when he was hired and all we could do was shake our head in dismay because we knew what was coming.

I say that to say this, get rid of this coach and we'll lose all the momentum in recruiting, I don't care, outside of a few who aren't available, who the coach is that we replace him with and that is no small thing. Will there be a time to move on from Pelini, maybe, but it isn't now or this year or the next. Been waiting a long time to get over the hump as many, but don't believe it isn't changing for the better until it isn't. In fact this last game should tell you that more than telling you we're stuck in the same old rut.

Callahan didn't destroy our program. Frank Solich did. Bill had an empty roster when he arrived and Bo was gifted the best defensive roster we have seen in decades. Please give me a break on how terrible we were. Callahan couldn't coach but he was able to identify talent

• Fire 5

Ole Miss, Miss St, Clemson, FSU etc have had their coaches replaced at or after NU hired Bo. They have all had recent success. Now Ole Miss and Miss St have a few more games to go, BUT Miss St has just defeated 3 top 10 teams back to back to back. Not bad. I have lived in Mississippi and have people there. Have been to Miss St. in Starkville. It has nothing over Lincoln. Mullen and Hevesy (Miss St) spent years together at UF, share the same offensive vision and use what they grew up in. Not what they learned from other guys.....They also have a dedicated QB coach.

IMO, our program is stuck in neutral. As the talking heads have said. This is worse than getting better or going backwards. Going backwards, we can identify needs and make changes. Improving and it is where we want to be. Neutral shows acceptance, complacency etc...... Our game against MSU, they didn't talk about where we were going, but spoke of the last we won a team on the road against a ranked team. The last time we won a conference championship. They are talking about our PAST, not our FUTURE. That's not good. We have had chance after chance to be back, but have pissed those opportunities away. Watching game yesterday, the announcers continually talked about eh other teams (Miss St, Ole Miss, OU, Clemson) about how tough they were. How physical and how they played down hill or smash mouth. Punishing runner etc..... I haven't heard NU described like that all year. That's sad. Get an identity and a mentality. That will go a long way in getting us back.

Something needs to change. We win out and beat MSU in the CCG, I'll change my tune. Until that happens, I will continue to think we are still incapable of getting to that next level.

I still think its a coaching issue, from play calling, to lack of fundamentals to missing MSU clapping and knowing our count.

• Fire 2

Callahan didn't destroy our program. Frank Solich did. Bill had an empty roster when he arrived and Bo was gifted the best defensive roster we have seen in decades. Please give me a break on how terrible we were. Callahan couldn't coach but he was able to identify talent

This is such bullsh#t. And 3 people plus'd it so far. Wow.

Callahan could identify talent, couldn't at QB though, that kind of matters in this game.

Neither destroyed this program. This program isn't destroyed. So there goes that argument.

Solich sure as hell isn't to blame. He changed his whole staff and had a solid season but was fired anyway. Aside from a 7-7 season his record here was pretty damn good.

Best defensive roster in decades? You better go back and look at some of those rosters from the previous decades then. Yes it was a solid roster, but decades? No.

Aside from Callahn recognizing talent, the rest of your entire post is trash.