Kenny Bell just can't stop being Kenny Bell

NUpolo8

I have to say I was surprised to read that quote, but if that's how he feels, I don't have any problem with what he said.

Wishing for Kenny Bell to be gone seems pretty ludicrous to me. He stretches the field big time, and I think we've seen already the amount of growing pains that we go through when he's not out there. He's a tremendous player. A little inconsistent? Sure. But he's a huge asset to this team.

• Fire 7

Hell....maybe the truth is coming out.......

Or maybe spoke too soon and wants to retract that statement....

Regardless.....Tommy is a guy I want as a starting QB at NEB. The young man says all the right things...took so many nasty hits against MSU and kept fighting back.

He willed his team to a near upset against a top 10 on their own turf. The young man is a gamer.

Asked to expand on that comment, Bell said, “I just have a quarterback right now who competes his butt off and I love it. He’s the best kind of competitor — the kind of guy who will put his body on the line for his team.”Bottom line, Bell said, Armstrong has earned respect by making plays.

You guys are making way too much of this. Bell's talking up his current QB without talking about any previous ones. The "haven't had that in a long time" -- including Tommy last year? -- was off the cuff, probably how he truthfully feels, but not an intentional attempt to stoke flames or be a distraction. All of that? That's you guys.The only story here is that it's great Tommy is earning such respect from his teammates, even as a sophomore. And I don't think it's surprising.

Yea good comment.

You're probably right. We tend to make too much of some things, especially when context is so difficult to grasp. Maybe this is why a twitter ban may be good, heck I dunno. A twitter ban would make these situations avoidable, but maybe fans need to slow down on the reactions to each and every thing that is said.

Either way, my comment above includes Kenny Bells history with twitter. He's had some issues. Maybe this time we are over reacting a bit. Of course, if there's enough reaction, this will become just another distraction and another feud where the fans look like idiots.

He's done good things on the field but seems to lack common communication skills and knowledge. What to do/say and what not to do/say. It's all pretty old and tiring by now and I try to just ignore anything that comes out of his mouth or Twitter account. He will be remembered for being a great receiver here but once he's gone I won't be saying, "I wish we still had Kenny."

Yep.

I disagree. I think Kenny is actually a pretty smart kid and gets it for the most part. It's not common communication skills that he lacks - that would be Taylor. What Kenny lacks is any fu#*$ to give. He says what's on his mind and doesn't care if people disagree with him.

Someone like that is only a douchebag if you disagree with them. If they have the same opinion as you then they're applauded for telling it like it is. I know enough people that have interacted with Kenny for longer than 10 seconds and have good things to say about him as a person, and I've always liked him.

He just has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth at times and when he does he doesn't really care.

• Fire 2

Asked to expand on that comment, Bell said, “I just have a quarterback right now who competes his butt off and I love it. He’s the best kind of competitor — the kind of guy who will put his body on the line for his team.”

Bottom line, Bell said, Armstrong has earned respect by making plays.

You guys are making way too much of this. Bell's talking up his current QB without talking about any previous ones. The "haven't had that in a long time" -- including Tommy last year? -- was off the cuff, probably how he truthfully feels, but not an intentional attempt to stoke flames or be a distraction. All of that? That's you guys.

The only story here is that it's great Tommy is earning such respect from his teammates, even as a sophomore. And I don't think it's surprising.

this is probably true, but i stand by my assertion that he does say things in an exaggerated, dramatic fashion.

he would fight at the gates of hell for bo? that is an awfully dramatic thing to say when it comes to college football. and then when he says things like he cannot afford food? i mean, there is a better way to make his point than being so extreme.

• Fire 1

Average at best? Im not saying he's the greatest thing since spiced bread (yep, i spelled it wrong but I'm going with it) but wasn't he All-Big Ten his sophomore year? And has 500+ yards already this year? That doesn't seem like average. Seems to play some of his best games against big opponents (ohio state 2012, Ucla 2012, Michigan State 2013, Miami 2014) It may not be great, but for an offense that doesn't throw a whole lot, and seeing how our offense has fallen apart when he gets hurt and coordinators don't have to respect the deep-threat anymore would make me call him anything but average. Give the guy his due- He probably falls into the above average-very good range for a college WR. I feel fairly certain calling him an average at best receiver is an ad hominem attack more directed at his antics of the field disguised as a legitimate (in reality just lazy and angry) evaluation of his actual play.

He's done good things on the field but seems to lack common communication skills and knowledge. What to do/say and what not to do/say. It's all pretty old and tiring by now and I try to just ignore anything that comes out of his mouth or Twitter account. He will be remembered for being a great receiver here but once he's gone I won't be saying, "I wish we still had Kenny."

Yep.

I disagree. I think Kenny is actually a pretty smart kid and gets it for the most part. It's not common communication skills that he lacks - that would be Taylor. What Kenny lacks is any fu#*$ to give. He says what's on his mind and doesn't care if people disagree with him.

Someone like that is only a douchebag if you disagree with them. If they have the same opinion as you then they're applauded for telling it like it is. I know enough people that have interacted with Kenny for longer than 10 seconds and have good things to say about him as a person, and I've always liked him.

He just has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth at times and when he does he doesn't really care.

No.

I get what B007 was saying and I agree. Kenny is a smart guy. However, the disconnect is that he thinks he's way smarter than he actually is, he appears to think that his football ego lends credibility to any statement that he makes, and he has a total disregard for the way his statements might be viewed and may affect others.

I have agreed with a lot of things that Kenny has said in the past, but the way he goes about saying them is the problem. He's completely out of touch and we're getting to the point where we're seeing past all his bullsh#t. I'm sure he's a good person, but he gets short-sighted by his ego when he talks to the media or logs onto twitter. Just shut. up. Maybe think for 5 seconds before you speak. Don't give your perceived "haters" any recognition by retweeting them or whatever, it just comes across as petty and butthurt, especially after a piss-poor performance. I think that's what B007 meant by lack of communication skills.

Taylor simply could not communicate. Kenny communicates too much, and without thinking.

• Fire 5

"Don't give your perceived "haters" any recognition by retweeting them or whatever, it just comes across as petty and butthurt, especially after a piss-poor performance. I think that's what B007 meant by lack of communication skills."

I say retweet the haters all day. Make them stand by their comments. Just like Kenny would stand next to his if he was standing next to you. Would you tell Kenny you were tired of his bullsh*t if you were standing next to him? Maybe you would, good for you.

Most fans would beg for his autograph and then bitch on Twitter that they didn't get it because Kenny was a jerk and thought practice was more important.

• Fire 2

Yep.

No.

I get what B007 was saying and I agree. Kenny is a smart guy. However, the disconnect is that he thinks he's way smarter than he actually is, he appears to think that his football ego lends credibility to any statement that he makes, and he has a total disregard for the way his statements might be viewed and may affect others.

I have agreed with a lot of things that Kenny has said in the past, but the way he goes about saying them is the problem. He's completely out of touch and we're getting to the point where we're seeing past all his bullsh#t. I'm sure he's a good person, but he gets short-sighted by his ego when he talks to the media or logs onto twitter. Just shut. up. Maybe think for 5 seconds before you speak. Don't give your perceived "haters" any recognition by retweeting them or whatever, it just comes across as petty and butthurt, especially after a piss-poor performance. I think that's what B007 meant by lack of communication skills.

Taylor simply could not communicate. Kenny communicates too much, and without thinking.

this really bothers me. those "haters" are losers, no doubt. but he needs to be above that. because people will use that tiny sample size to generalize the entire fan base. it becomes self-centered and pernicious.

i mean, it is his right if he wants to highlight the worst of the fanbase to everyone, but i hope he thinks about the perception he is helping to propagate.

• Fire 2

Asked to expand on that comment, Bell said, I just have a quarterback right now who competes his butt off and I love it. Hes the best kind of competitor the kind of guy who will put his body on the line for his team.Bottom line, Bell said, Armstrong has earned respect by making plays.

You guys are making way too much of this. Bell's talking up his current QB without talking about any previous ones. The "haven't had that in a long time" -- including Tommy last year? -- was off the cuff, probably how he truthfully feels, but not an intentional attempt to stoke flames or be a distraction. All of that? That's you guys.The only story here is that it's great Tommy is earning such respect from his teammates, even as a sophomore. And I don't think it's surprising.
I disagree. You don't say " that's something we haven't had in a quarterback in a while" without it meaning exactly what he said. That kind of dis to the previous qb's is hard to ignore. Sure he was talking up Tommy but, he easily could do that without the jab. Sometimes things are exactly what they seem. Personally I am tired of KB, his inflated ego, and the stupid sit he says but, I also think this commentary on TM hits the nail on the head. TA is a leader and TM was no more than an athlete. Night and day when it comes to the QB position. Kenny is right but he shouldn't have said it.