Kenny Bell just can't stop being Kenny Bell

NUpolo8

It's not endemic to cfb to do what Kenny does so let's not act like he isn't responsible for what he says.

The only thing that isn't endemic is the part where it's said in front of a microphone instead of behind closed doors.

If you don't think 95% of college football players share his perspective and self-importance about fans and being paid or whatever else amongst themselves in their locker rooms and homes you're dreaming. The only reason it's not endemic is because the players are coached to shut the hell up and not say anything authentic in front of cameras.

It's not endemic to cfb to do what Kenny does so let's not act like he isn't responsible for what he says.

The only thing that isn't endemic is the part where it's said in front of a microphone instead of behind closed doors.

If you don't think 95% of college football players share his perspective and self-importance about fans and being paid or whatever else amongst themselves in their locker rooms and homes you're dreaming. The only reason it's not endemic is because the players are coached to shut the hell up and not say anything authentic in front of cameras.

All things considered, I think I prefer players who are coached to shut the hell up and tow the team line or just let their play do their talking for them on the field.

But, a character like Bell is interesting every once in a while. Keeps things from becoming too stale. I can't tell if he really just runs his mouth all the time or if he really does ACT like an entitled douche if you see him outside team functions and in real life....

But I would say eventually the universe takes care of people who go around acting like epic douches so if that's the case, he'll sow what he reaps eventually anyway.

• Fire 1

No.

I get what B007 was saying and I agree. Kenny is a smart guy. However, the disconnect is that he thinks he's way smarter than he actually is, he appears to think that his football ego lends credibility to any statement that he makes, and he has a total disregard for the way his statements might be viewed and may affect others.

I have agreed with a lot of things that Kenny has said in the past, but the way he goes about saying them is the problem. He's completely out of touch and we're getting to the point where we're seeing past all his bullsh#t. I'm sure he's a good person, but he gets short-sighted by his ego when he talks to the media or logs onto twitter. Just shut. up. Maybe think for 5 seconds before you speak. Don't give your perceived "haters" any recognition by retweeting them or whatever, it just comes across as petty and butthurt, especially after a piss-poor performance. I think that's what B007 meant by lack of communication skills.

Taylor simply could not communicate. Kenny communicates too much, and without thinking.

I mostly agree but to all of that I simply say,

so what?

Hardly anywhere even remotely close to topping the list of egregious offenses by college football players that are treated like royalty by everyone around them at all times. The egos of Kenny Bell and every other player are just as much their own fault as they are the fault of a culture that we all contribute to, with messageboards centered around their accomplishments and billion dollar tv contracts.

Think for a second of how little you would think your sh#t stinks if you were in his shoes.

Rex and Ameer, to name just two, didn't seem to have this problem and both of them sure would be more entitled to an inflated sense of self worth than Kenny. It's not endemic to cfb to do what Kenny does so let's not act like he isn't responsible for what he says.

i honestly struggle to think of another husker player who has had this much attention for these types of things. crouch threatening to quit, maybe?

I can't think of any either. Kenny is a little "special" in this regard. But I do think we can thank Twitter and social media in general for us even being aware of half of this crap. If a tree falls in the forest, you'll hear about it via Twitter. That's one reason I don't do the twitter.

you sure know a lot about what is said behind closed doors.

but these criticisms seem to be based on public perception and not private opinions. obviously most players have no problem keeping to themselves and putting the team first in their public perception.

No.

I get what B007 was saying and I agree. Kenny is a smart guy. However, the disconnect is that he thinks he's way smarter than he actually is, he appears to think that his football ego lends credibility to any statement that he makes, and he has a total disregard for the way his statements might be viewed and may affect others.

I have agreed with a lot of things that Kenny has said in the past, but the way he goes about saying them is the problem. He's completely out of touch and we're getting to the point where we're seeing past all his bullsh#t. I'm sure he's a good person, but he gets short-sighted by his ego when he talks to the media or logs onto twitter. Just shut. up. Maybe think for 5 seconds before you speak. Don't give your perceived "haters" any recognition by retweeting them or whatever, it just comes across as petty and butthurt, especially after a piss-poor performance. I think that's what B007 meant by lack of communication skills.

Taylor simply could not communicate. Kenny communicates too much, and without thinking.

I mostly agree but to all of that I simply say,

so what?

Hardly anywhere even remotely close to topping the list of egregious offenses by college football players that are treated like royalty by everyone around them at all times. The egos of Kenny Bell and every other player are just as much their own fault as they are the fault of a culture that we all contribute to, with messageboards centered around their accomplishments and billion dollar tv contracts.

Think for a second of how little you would think your sh#t stinks if you were in his shoes.

Rex and Ameer, to name just two, didn't seem to have this problem and both of them sure would be more entitled to an inflated sense of self worth than Kenny. It's not endemic to cfb to do what Kenny does so let's not act like he isn't responsible for what he says.

i honestly struggle to think of another husker player who has had this much attention for these types of things. crouch threatening to quit, maybe?

I can't think of any either. Kenny is a little "special" in this regard. But I do think we can thank Twitter and social media in general for us even being aware of half of this crap. If a tree falls in the forest, you'll hear about it via Twitter. That's one reason I don't do the twitter.

you also follow @fallingtrees? pretty good feed.

• Fire 2

Well that and from the minute they step onto campus, every athlete goes to at least two symposiums a year where people from all walks of life, good, bad, and really bad, endear them to actually look at the first part off their title of student athlete, because odds are they aren't going to be paid for their sport when they graduate.

Kenny is showing at least enough intelligence to digest that information. He's doing this, and lobbying to be paid now. To say nothing as this speaks as to the "us vs them" mentality that no one should be a fan of. Because now it seems even ex teammates are susceptible.

Sure it's more prevalent with cfb players, big time athletes, etc. But it is still a choice they make and that they are responsible for. Don't write off the actions and attitude as inevitable because it isn't. Just like you or I, they make choices about what type of person they are going to be.

I just don't see why we're up in arms about a bit of arrogance and bravado, all things considered.

For me it's because he started out not being this way. It's been in the past year or two. And the "woe is me" schtick with the $ thing pissed me off a lot and has stuck with me. There are good arguments out there for compensating players but whining about his electricity getting shut off after buying a full back tattoo and 30 different colors of beats headphones... holy crap, grow up.

I just don't see why we're up in arms about a bit of arrogance and bravado, all things considered.

For me it's because he started out not being this way. It's been in the past year or two. And the "woe is me" schtick with the $ thing pissed me off a lot and has stuck with me. There are good arguments out there for compensating players but whining about his electricity getting shut off after buying a full back tattoo and 30 different colors of beats headphones... holy crap, grow up.

Oh the flip side, making idiotic internet speculation as to the state of a college athlete's finances is equally immature and short-sighted. This is one area where I agree with Kenny, but I do think he has gone about arguing it in a suboptimal manner.

Sure it's more prevalent with cfb players, big time athletes, etc. But it is still a choice they make and that they are responsible for. Don't write off the actions and attitude as inevitable because it isn't. Just like you or I, they make choices about what type of person they are going to be.

i also think it is kind of disappointing to agree that someone's behavior is at least questionable, and perhaps self-centered, and then based on idle speculation assume 95% of athletes are equally self-centered only in an effort to defend that one player's arguably questionable public behavior. i am not so willing to throw 95% of the players under the bus like that, not to just defend how one player is perceived in public.

maybe they do think and act this way in private, maybe they do not. but i am not so willing to think the vast majority of players are this way because one player has trouble with how he is perceived.

Oh the flip side, making idiotic internet speculation as to the state of a college athlete's finances is equally immature and short-sighted. This is one area where I agree with Kenny, but I do think he has gone about arguing it in a suboptimal manner.

Suboptimal as in spending hundreds of dollars on tats but feeling no compulsion to stfu about not being able to afford an electricity bill that is a fraction of that amount? Yeah, that is suboptimal.

Again JJ what did I just say. We know nothing about his financial situation.

I once bought a TV, then a couple of weeks later was faced with an emergency $1400 car bill, which made rent pretty tough to meet that month. But continue speculating.

Don't make me go to bat for Kenny, please?

• Fire 1