Ex-Nebraska players say broker gave extra benefits, stole their money

Amac3309

Was just reading the article. Sounds like NU has interviewed all involved and self reported to the NCAA.

I think the "true cost" scollys are something we will need to look at.

EDIT: Sounds like the kids are met with and sign a document about what they can and cannot receive as gifts. I dont know if a flight on a private jet is in or out, but a new suit and $800, would seem to be over the line

Article seems clear about it being not allowed. I don't think this is the first time we heard about this, specifically with Steve Octavien. The article is more review than revelation.

These are pro prospects that, once in school, are being targeted and preyed upon by these "financial advisers" looking to hop on their backs and get some of the cut of their future success. They are very much working against the school's interests.

So it's not a case of bag men, which is what it was made to sound like initially. Although I wouldn't be stunned if that happened at Nebraska, too. Just disappointed.

At Nebraska, several former football players remember Ms. Wong as a familiar sight. They say she hosted cookouts at her Omaha home, sometimes preparing short ribs. She also paid for clothes and flights on a private jet, took players to nightclubs and bought tire rims for one player’s car

Damn it. Didn't see this coming.... not good. NCAA investigators are now busy. Even in the past, the NCAA will still do some digging.

If you dig hard enough at any school, you will find crap like this.

Yep. You'd like to think your school is free of such things, but you've got 100+ guys on a team at any given time. It would defy statistical reality to expect every one of them to never get in trouble. We have a litany of things crop up every year, from stealing bikes to ex-players involved in murder to stuff like this. It's an unfortunate reality of having a bunch of individuals represent the school.