Nebraska@Wisconsin keys to victory!

From the limited Wisconsin games I've watched this year, they still run jet sweep action and it's still Gordon part of the time.

A lot of the reason we had trouble with it in 2012 was NOT because it was so surprising but because our Safeties - especially Stafford - were too slow/took terrible angles to try to make the play. I don't think they'll have much success running it toward Gerry. Them running it towards Cooper on the other hand.....

Like to see us in Peso w/ the hybrid backer acting as a spy on Gordon. w/ our front 4 and their pathetic pass game I don't think it's too much of a risk to play them 10+1 versus 11.

We use our safeties much more actively in the run game than most teams. If you're talking against the Jet Sweep, I don't think that's necessary as whichever safety they are running toward is going to fill that role. If you're talking spying Gordon all the time I could see that but I doubt it happens. I'd like to see how we can stop their base run in our base defense.

Stave is not much of a threat to run. McEvoy is not much of a threat to pass. Watching out for this will go a long ways towards cheating one way or the other.

The biggest thing I'd like to see us do is run a lot more zone coverage than our usual man. That way, we have a lot more eyes on Gordon and Clement instead of letting them run our secondary off and have a lot of room to operate.

• Fire 1

From the limited Wisconsin games I've watched this year, they still run jet sweep action and it's still Gordon part of the time.

A lot of the reason we had trouble with it in 2012 was NOT because it was so surprising but because our Safeties - especially Stafford - were too slow/took terrible angles to try to make the play. I don't think they'll have much success running it toward Gerry. Them running it towards Cooper on the other hand.....

Like to see us in Peso w/ the hybrid backer acting as a spy on Gordon. w/ our front 4 and their pathetic pass game I don't think it's too much of a risk to play them 10+1 versus 11.

We use our safeties much more actively in the run game than most teams. If you're talking against the Jet Sweep, I don't think that's necessary as whichever safety they are running toward is going to fill that role. If you're talking spying Gordon all the time I could see that but I doubt it happens. I'd like to see how we can stop their base run in our base defense.

Stave is not much of a threat to run. McEvoy is not much of a threat to pass. Watching out for this will go a long ways towards cheating one way or the other.

The biggest thing I'd like to see us do is run a lot more zone coverage than our usual man. That way, we have a lot more eyes on Gordon and Clement instead of letting them run our secondary off and have a lot of room to operate.

Your last paragraph is key imo. They will try to get our defense going one way to give Gordon/Clement room to operate one on one. I've maintained that Beilema and his staff(Diffent staff now) recognized Stafford freelanced throughout the season and started licking their chops. We still play defense very much the same.

I think the key to winning for either team - force the qb to make plays with a full commitment against the run. It's been the M.O. for most good teams against us, so I don't think that will change. At the same time, we should probably do the same thing. It's not like either team has an Andrew Luck and Dez Bryant.

I swear it will suck if we go with heavy nickel and dime packages to rely on run support in addition to pass plays. It also worries me if they throw short routes like McNeese, Wyoming, UCLA did when there were mismatches identified.

I like our chances and we have a talented team all around, but sometimes when we come up with big stops or big gains, we end up shooting ourselves in the foot in other areas. Hope this is not the case this week.

I don't think you will see any Peso on Saturday. A Lot of nickel with who ever the best tackler between Cockerall and Kalu seeing the most action. I have said it on many different threads, if you watch Wisconsin they are a big play run team not a grind it out team.

Defensively Nebraska needs to make them earn it all the way down the field.

That's why I don't think it really matters if we have 7 up, or 8 up. Spy Gordon, take him out of the game. I'd like to see our base defense stop their run game as well - but we've had issues w/ that in the past. This is one of those times I'd like to see Pelini throw out a wrinkle and dare a team to beat us with their weakness versus playing them straight up to their strength.

• Fire 2

That's why I don't think it really matters if we have 7 up, or 8 up. Spy Gordon, take him out of the game. I'd like to see our base defense stop their run game as well - but we've had issues w/ that in the past. This is one of those times I'd like to see Pelini throw out a wrinkle and dare a team to beat us with their weakness versus playing them straight up to their strength.

My point about trying to stop them with our base is I think we have BY FAR the best DLine of any Husker team that's faced Wisconsin in the last three years.

And our safeties play run a lot harder than most teams. That's why I don't think we need a spy - we have two of them.

My point about trying to stop them with our base is I think we have BY FAR the best DLine of any Husker team that's faced Wisconsin in the last three years.

And our safeties play run a lot harder than most teams. That's why I don't think we need a spy - we have two of them.

Bo hates using a spy

Bo hates using a spy

Yep. Pretty much a guarantee that we won't see one Saturday.

Random thought: Does ANYONE actually use a spy? I watch a decent amount of college football and I don't recall the last time I've seen anyone using a spy.

Not a spy by terminology sake, but Sparty's linebackers had their eyes locked on Abdullah and were able to cover all potential gaps/holes. They met him at the line the entire game; unless it was third and long when they dropped a guy back.

I only have one main key that Nebraska needs to do in order to beat Wisconsin which is:

We need to utilize our TE's more. With Carter coming back we'll need to throw the ball to Carter or Cotton to open up the running game with Ameer not fully health and this will also allow our receivers to face more one on one opportunities.

Minnesota absolutely destroyed us last year with their TE's and they did it once again against Iowa last week. Minnesota, Iowa, Georgia, etc, those are some of the most recent teams within a year that utilize their TE's and gave us fits.