Scott Frost

NUinID

And I think the fact that Frost knows NU and knows the fans, traditions, etc., would work to his favor.

As a former, successful defensive coordinator for NU, Pelini knew the fans, traditions, etc.

Didn't end up meaning anything at all.

Pelini coached at NU for 1 year prior to being hired after Callahan's departure.

*** snip ***

I don't know how successful I'd call him as a DC in 2003. He had 3 pretty bad losses that year to Missouri (41-21), Texas (31 - 7) and KSU (38 - 9).

Same thing happening during his 7 years as HC. :facepalm:

Several of us hated the hire and saw this coming. The only silver lining was that we were glad BC was axed. It's been 11 years of crappy coaching since the Solich experiment. Which means, including that fiasco, it's been a long time of SSDD.

• Fire 1

I'm not in the Frost camp. He hasn't proven anything to me that would warrant him becoming the HC of Nebraska.

I think he might make an excellent HC. He has done well in football at every level, HS, D-1, the pros and now in coaching. He has a very good track record.

And he has done nothing to convince me he would fail after stepping up to HC.

So did Bo...Frost has been in the OC role for 2-3 yrs now and yet isn't the one that implements the game plans for them. Helfrich has as much say on that offense as Bo does on the defense here. I wouldn't mind seeing Frost cut his teeth at a MAC or Mountain West school for a few years before coming here. We have already done the first year coach thing.

I just want a guy who is going to bring in a offense like, well hate to say it but Wisconsin, Stanford. I-Form smash mouth football with some throwing formations. I am tired of seeing the spread formations. I mean we can run a uptempo smash mouth brand of ball and wear down teams just like the Oregon's do. Am i wrong?

Actually the offensive style I would like to see is power run with option mix and play action passing. This was Nebraska's bread and butter for about 25 years. It would still work today. You could throw in some zone read if you want to also.

Osborne initially ran more of a pro style offense. Vince Ferragamo was a product of that offense and he went on to lead the '79 Rams to the Superbowl. People conveniently forget that Osborne didn't always run a power run offense. Heck, people conveniently forget that we didn't run the option every play.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what offense we run as long as it can compete with everyone we play. On the other hand, if I could install any offense I chose, I would install a balanced attack. Something in the neighborhood of 40/60 - 60/40 run/pass. To many times even during Osborne's tenure our run heavy offense was shut down by teams stacking the box. A balanced offense keeps the defense honest.

If find it irritating when people don't consider different options just because they want a return to how we did things in the past. Sometimes things change, sometimes they stay the same.

When I said 25 years I was including FS tenure at NU. I haven't conveniently forgot anything. TO started moving towards more option probably about 1978 or 79. Jeff Quinn was a better runner than passer a big bruiser like Scott Frost was.

The transformation really took effect when Turner Gill took over. Running the option was probably at its high point during the 80's and actually tapered off into the 90's. If you looked at Nebraska's offense of the mid 90's if they ran 50 running plays in a game only about 10 or so were options. The QB designed runs actually became more prevalent towards the end of TF time at QB and escalated greatly with SF until the QB was doing a lot of designed runs with Jamal Lord.

Nebraska has always been a power run team. The options was put into the game plan as a substitute for a short passing game. The fact that they say NU was an option team was something perpetuated by the national media. Oklahoma was an option team they ran at least 60% option back in the wishbone days.

I agree that it is hard to come from behind if you are not a good passing team. Right now NU is not a real good passing team anyway. The offense right now is a little too finesse for my tastes. I think it would be easy to reintroduce more power running though. Nebraska hasn't run a toss sweep all year.

I liked Nebraska's style of play in the past. I think it worked for our situation. It works for Wisconsin its starting to work for Minnesota, it works for Stanford and a lot of SEC teams. I just want to see some option mixed into the situation. Not just power run play action passing.

• Fire 1

And I think the fact that Frost knows NU and knows the fans, traditions, etc., would work to his favor.

As a former, successful defensive coordinator for NU, Pelini knew the fans, traditions, etc.

Pelini coached at NU for 1 year prior to being hired after Callahan's departure. Scott Frost grew up in Nebraska and played for Nebraska during the championship years. I'd say Frost is far more qualified when it comes to knowing the fans and traditions of NU.

And I don't know how successful I'd call him as a DC in 2003. He had 3 pretty bad losses that year to Missouri (41-21), Texas (31 - 7) and KSU (38 - 9).

Doesn't Frost as HC have a Kliff Kingsbury feel to it?

I agree with Stumpy. Frost eventually will be a good head coach, but Helfrich was and, I still believe, he has the final say of which plays go to Mariota to call in the huddle. Frost is more of an eye in the sky. And reports what was/wasn't there on the previous play. A 2-3 year run at "non-power 5" conf would go a long way for Frost.

Huskers need a proven head coach to step in IF we pull the trigger. That's a big IF tho.

Pelini coached at NU for 1 year prior to being hired after Callahan's departure. Scott Frost grew up in Nebraska and played for Nebraska during the championship years. I'd say Frost is far more qualified when it comes to knowing the fans and traditions of NU.

And I don't know how successful I'd call him as a DC in 2003. He had 3 pretty bad losses that year to Missouri (41-21), Texas (31 - 7) and KSU (38 - 9).

I have to admit that when Bo was hired, all I thought about was how much better the D was after he was brought on as DC than it had been previously. I'd forgotten how bad these losses were (especially the one to K State, which was a way better team that year than their ranking suggests. IIRC, that was the year that Sproles was injured early in the season and they amassed some losses then they came back to kick the crap out of us *and* Oklahoma). Again, though, we were wrecked by a team that was good with the run. That doesn't explain why the offense only scored 9 points, though.

I have a feeling that Bo's D was as good as it was because of the Bullocks brothers similarly to how Suh made it look great a few years later. I think he was a better DC than Craig Bohl had been, but that really wouldn't have taken too much. He probably saved Nebraska from a few losses, but he only raised us to the level of where we are currently (wins against weaker teams, blow outs against stronger ones).

I have to admit that when Bo was hired, all I thought about was how much better the D was after he was brought on as DC than it had been previously. I'd forgotten how bad these losses were (especially the one to K State, which was a way better team that year than their ranking suggests. IIRC, that was the year that Sproles was injured early in the season and they amassed some losses then they came back to kick the crap out of us *and* Oklahoma). Again, though, we were wrecked by a team that was good with the run. That doesn't explain why the offense only scored 9 points, though.

I have a feeling that Bo's D was as good as it was because of the Bullocks brothers similarly to how Suh made it look great a few years later. I think he was a better DC than Craig Bohl had been, but that really wouldn't have taken too much. He probably saved Nebraska from a few losses, but he only raised us to the level of where we are currently (wins against weaker teams, blow outs against stronger ones).

This will explain it to you.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1354984&

• Fire 1

I'm not in the Frost camp. He hasn't proven anything to me that would warrant him becoming the HC of Nebraska.

I think he might make an excellent HC. He has done well in football at every level, HS, D-1, the pros and now in coaching. He has a very good track record.

So did Bo...Frost has been in the OC role for 2-3 yrs now and yet isn't the one that implements the game plans for them. Helfrich has as much say on that offense as Bo does on the defense here. I wouldn't mind seeing Frost cut his teeth at a MAC or Mountain West school for a few years before coming here. We have already done the first year coach thing.

None of this is true per reports here in Oregon. Watching Oregon play week in and week out is fun. Lots of Tom Osborne in that offense. That's Frost, not Helrich.

None of this is true per reports here in Oregon. Watching Oregon play week in and week out is fun. Lots of Tom Osborne in that offense. That's Frost, not Helrich.

Well it is according to a friend of mine that is a booster at Oregon and has watched practice a few times.

Oregon has been running the same offense since Kelly installed it. When Helfrich was the OC, Kelly was the one that implemented the offense until Kelly let Helfrich take over slowly but still put in his 2 cents. It is no different now between Helfrich and Frost.

He did say that Frost is very well liked up there by everyone and that the players absolutely love him. He said that Frost isn't the best recruiter but is slowly becoming one and that High school coaches are really beginning to like him.

He will have a losing record if he goes to Florida.

Ditto in Lincoln

Frost wouldn't have a losing record in Lincoln. Tim Miles could take over the football team and finish with a winning record. I'm not sure Frost would be my first choice in Lincoln, but Pelini isn't working any magic down there.

FAU, Fresno State, McNeese State, Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois... Those are gimme wins for any coach with even modest ability to recruit to the winningest program of the last 50 years.

• Fire 2

Well it is according to a friend of mine that is a booster at Oregon and has watched practice a few times.

Oregon has been running the same offense since Kelly installed it. When Helfrich was the OC, Kelly was the one that implemented the offense until Kelly let Helfrich take over slowly but still put in his 2 cents. It is no different now between Helfrich and Frost.

He did say that Frost is very well liked up there by everyone and that the players absolutely love him. He said that Frost isn't the best recruiter but is slowly becoming one and that High school coaches are really beginning to like him.

The misconception from many is that since Helfrich was OC in name only, then it must be the same for Frost. It isn't. I've heard from Helrich's mouth that Frost calls the plays. It's also been reported in The Oregonian, the state's largest newspaper.

As far as the offense, we'll have to agree to disagree on that as well. It's not the same IMHO. They've been forced to make tweaks because they've been unable to get the same dynamic running backs that Kelly was able to get. Luckily Mariotta makes up for a lot of it, but they've struggled when he's been hurt. Next year will be a big test for Helfrich and Frost because they haven't groomed a QB much like Bo and Beck haven't.

• Fire 1

He will have a losing record if he goes to Florida.

Ditto in Lincoln

Frost wouldn't have a losing record in Lincoln. Tim Miles could take over the football team and finish with a winning record. I'm not sure Frost would be my first choice in Lincoln, but Pelini isn't working any magic down there.

FAU, Fresno State, McNeese State, Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois... Those are gimme wins for any coach with even modest ability to recruit to the winningest program of the last 50 years.

Exactly right. Did anybody else notice the SOS in this week's playoff poll? The four worst were Big 10 teams and Baylor. Tons of layups in our schedule.

I just want a guy who is going to bring in a offense like, well hate to say it but Wisconsin, Stanford. I-Form smash mouth football with some throwing formations. I am tired of seeing the spread formations. I mean we can run a uptempo smash mouth brand of ball and wear down teams just like the Oregon's do. Am i wrong?

Running up tempo is relied upon big strike plays. Doesn't really do any good if you are grinding out 3 yards a play....serves nothing then imo.

FCA Video Feature with Oregon Ducks' Scott Frost:

The guy gets it. Not saying because of faith, but one thing you get from someone who works hard at faith is humbleness. Putting others first. I think Frost understands the ins and outs of coaching.

It's not about experience it's about attitude as a head coach. Sure you learn things on the go a bit but a guy with the attitude and mentality if Frost will be much more pleasing to see "in the process"

Frost doesn't know how to not improve.

• Fire 1