Scott Frost

NUinID

I just want a guy who is going to bring in a offense like, well hate to say it but Wisconsin, Stanford. I-Form smash mouth football with some throwing formations. I am tired of seeing the spread formations. I mean we can run a uptempo smash mouth brand of ball and wear down teams just like the Oregon's do. Am i wrong?

Running up tempo is relied upon big strike plays. Doesn't really do any good if you are grinding out 3 yards a play....serves nothing then imo.

Wonder what Malzahn would say to this. That's how they beat Bama. In fact, and up tempo smashmouth powergame would be extremely effective. Osborne was an uptempo guy. Minimal sub packages. Huddling 3 yards off the ball to save seconds. Our offense in the mid-90s, in situations before the game was in the late stages and we needed to melt clock, was the early phases of what we now call up temp.

You know who I would like to see here if we lose Bo.

Bret Bielmea, I mean he was what we want our Husker team to look like right. I know he is struggling in Arkansas but he does have a good rushing attack and they did knock of LSU lol.

Hell naw! That dude makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Yeah but he has a hot wife.

Didn't Danny Nee have a hot wife?

Just sayin', that didn't end up too well, IIRC, yes?

First, Bielema's wife is hot.

Second, Danny Nee won a Big Eight tournament title, made the NCAA tournament six times, recruited NBA caliber players and had a good career.

Let's not disrespect Danny Nee.

I am convinced that you dont necessarily need to find a head coach with "the best defensive/offensive mind" but rather more of a CEO type that can lead, inspire, elevate people and most importantly---find, surround and support the very best talent (coordinators) that money can buy. The best sales people dont always make the best sales managers, etc, etc.

The HC certainly has to know the game, but more from an overview standpoint, rather than a detail standpoint.

So, far better to find a HC, who has succeeded at another program, even one smaller, and has done so with the above formula--than to find some coordinating guru. It goes without saying that the HC needs to have some congruent values with the state and program.

I had liked the idea of a Tressel for a few years with Frost as the OC, on the job training----but I am leaning against it----what recruit wants to go and play for a "temporary coach"

I think the best candidate--today is Jim McElwain, and the first interview question I would ask is "who would you want your OC/DC to be"? I think Muschamp would be a lights out DC and I actually think Beck is worth salvaging, although we have to go to an offense where the QB is efficient at passing, but can use his feet if necessary as opposed to a a QB who is an efficient runner, but can use his arm..if necessary

I am convinced that you dont necessarily need to find a head coach with "the best defensive/offensive mind" but rather more of a CEO type that can lead, inspire, elevate people and most importantly---find, surround and support the very best talent (coordinators) that money can buy. The best sales people dont always make the best sales managers, etc, etc.

The HC certainly has to know the game, but more from an overview standpoint, rather than a detail standpoint.

So, far better to find a HC, who has succeeded at another program, even one smaller, and has done so with the above formula--than to find some coordinating guru. It goes without saying that the HC needs to have some congruent values with the state and program.

I had liked the idea of a Tressel for a few years with Frost as the OC, on the job training----but I am leaning against it----what recruit wants to go and play for a "temporary coach"

I think the best candidate--today is Jim McElwain, and the first interview question I would ask is "who would you want your OC/DC to be"? I think Muschamp would be a lights out DC and I actually think Beck is worth salvaging, although we have to go to an offense where the QB is efficient at passing, but can use his feet if necessary as opposed to a a QB who is an efficient runner, but can use his arm..if necessary

Beck stay? Hell no

Frost brings to the table things most do not. First of all, he was raised by a coach. Second, he did spend a couple of years with Bill Walsh. Third, he did spend a few years with TO. Fourth, he played defense in the NFL. Fifth, he coached under Chip Kelley. He's done a lot of things that most others just wished to have done. He knows how to win a NC because he did win one. He's extremely well rounded especially on offense by having been around some of the most impressive offensive minds to have been in the game. He played defense in the NFL. Of all the coordinators in the country, I'd say he's the most well rounded. I'm not sure I'm in the Frost camp just yet, but I would say I'd take him in a heartbeat over Craig Bohl.

• Fire 1

Frost brings to the table things most do not. First of all, he was raised by a coach. Second, he did spend a couple of years with Bill Walsh. Third, he did spend a few years with TO. Fourth, he played defense in the NFL. Fifth, he coached under Chip Kelley. He's done a lot of things that most others just wished to have done. He knows how to win a NC because he did win one. He's extremely well rounded especially on offense by having been around some of the most impressive offensive minds to have been in the game. He played defense in the NFL. Of all the coordinators in the country, I'd say he's the most well rounded. I'm not sure I'm in the Frost camp just yet, but I would say I'd take him in a heartbeat over Craig Bohl.

Agree on the Bohl comment - but for none of the reasons you listed. Being the son of a coach doesn't really do much for me I guess....

People are wanting Frost because he was coached by so-so, he is the OC at Oregon, he has been successful everywhere he has been. Guess what, Bo has those same credentials, except he was a DC. He might even have better ones then Frost. We need to get a guy in here that has experience in the HC ranks and knows how to run a program. I would go the Moglia route before the Frost route.

Nicely put. I like Frost in the discussion. He would be a great candidate to interview thoroughly among the others. I would take him over Pelini as some have mentioned, even though some say no way. I just don't know much about these other candidates so all I can do is read and take in what's being said here about possible candidates. If someone else is a better fit, great. If not, I like Frost.

People are wanting Frost because he was coached by so-so, he is the OC at Oregon, he has been successful everywhere he has been. Guess what, Bo has those same credentials, except he was a DC. He might even have better ones then Frost. We need to get a guy in here that has experience in the HC ranks and knows how to run a program. I would go the Moglia route before the Frost route.

You forgot the Nebraska guy part. That is the first and foremost.

Honestly. If Frost was never associated with Nebraska, we wouldnt even know who he is.

Or more clearly, if Frost was not Oregon's OC, we would have no interest in Oregon's OC for our head coach.

I'm on the fence with Frost. it's something I definitely could get excited about, and would give the same amount of time of solid support as I have with Bo. But if we really go through a coaching change, the Nebraka guy thing has to be put aside. It's the ONLY reason names like Moglia, Bohl, and Frost come up. Just being honest.

• Fire 1

You forgot the Nebraska guy part. That is the first and foremost.

Honestly. If Frost was never associated with Nebraska, we wouldnt even know who he is.

Or more clearly, if Frost was not Oregon's OC, we would have no interest in Oregon's OC for our head coach.

I'm on the fence with Frost. it's something I definitely could get excited about, and would give the same amount of time of solid support as I have with Bo. But if we really go through a coaching change, the Nebraka guy thing has to be put aside. It's the ONLY reason names like Moglia, Bohl, and Frost come up. Just being honest.

I agree 100% with the Nebraska part being the reason we want them. Frost's coaching career so far isn't all that impressive in the scheme of things. Bo had just as good of a resume as Frost does right now and look at where we are at. I think we need to hire a proven HC or one that has had at least 2-3 yrs under his belt being one.

If Northwestern can take on Pat Fitzgerald and have success given Fitzgerald's resume when he was hired, I would honestly think Nebraska would have better success with hiring Frost given the difference in resources.

We already done that with Bo. We have the money and resources to hire an experienced HC, why try another experiment.

If Northwestern can take on Pat Fitzgerald and have success given Fitzgerald's resume when he was hired, I would honestly think Nebraska would have better success with hiring Frost given the difference in resources.

We already done that with Bo. We have the money and resources to hire an experienced HC, why try another experiment.

Because when frost becomes transcendent as a coach, and doesn't come home because we didn't give a chance in the first place, you will be pissed.

It's inevitable, the guy is gunna be a ridiculously good head coach someday. Better hope it's at Nebraska and not Florida...where he would be inclined to stay...

Because when frost becomes transcendent as a coach, and doesn't come home because we didn't give a chance in the first place, you will be pissed.

It's inevitable, the guy is gunna be a ridiculously good head coach someday. Better hope it's at Nebraska and not Florida...where he would be inclined to stay...

I wont be pissed at all. I could care less if he ever coaches here. I don't get caught up in all this " Nebraska " guy crap that some think has to be a requirement for a coach to come here. I just honestly don't think he is ready to be a HC at a program like Nebraska. I stated before that I would like to see him go to a smaller school and cut his teeth before taking a job of Nebraska's stature.

Florida isn't going to take a chance on another first year HC. They are going to be looking for an experienced one and that is what we should do also.

And I think the fact that Frost knows NU and knows the fans, traditions, etc., would work to his favor.

As a former, successful defensive coordinator for NU, Pelini knew the fans, traditions, etc.

Didn't end up meaning anything at all.

Pelini coached at NU for 1 year prior to being hired after Callahan's departure. Scott Frost grew up in Nebraska and played for Nebraska during the championship years. I'd say Frost is far more qualified when it comes to knowing the fans and traditions of NU.

And I don't know how successful I'd call him as a DC in 2003. He had 3 pretty bad losses that year to Missouri (41-21), Texas (31 - 7) and KSU (38 - 9).

Plus: Pelinis 1 year was tainted by how it ended. I think as soon as he hears anything negative, this is why he goes into defensive mode with the fans and press. It's like he recalls how it ended and gets bitter all over again.

Even this year, he's quieter....but he's still condescending. You can just hear it in the tone. The questions he gets asked often are ludicrous, but as we've beaten with a stick around here - that sort of comes with the gig.