Could Osborne do it?

KazLong

Id like to see what tommy could do if the o line could give him more than a few seconds in the pocket. When he hurries hes way bad.

Tommy needs more help than what a good o-line can offer. He has terrible tendency to lock onto his primary receiver even when he has time in the pocket. And too be honest, I haven't been impressed with his running/scrambling ability. I'd like to see Stanton take over as the starting QB next year.

Tom wouldn't be able to put in the necessary hours. As much as it stings to say it, this program needs to move on from TO.

Embrace your history. Just dont live in it. That's gotta be the mantra of this coaching search. Let's modernize and revolutionize. Get back.

I don't think that anybody is really considering TO seriously. They're just engaging in hypothetical conversation. I really don't want to be argumentative, but in my humble opinion, "modernizing and revolutionizing" instead of embracing our former identity essentially is what has kept us in this mess for the past decade. A lot of us want to go back to the style of football that created all of the tradition that made this program great. Back to the future.
it wasnt just about any notion of TO actually coaching. Its the whole mentality. In order hit a home run here, we gotta be willing to cut ties from our history from an operational standpoint. Look forward not backwards. Like the Frost thing. Its still ridiculous to me in a way. Hes got significantly less experience as a coordinator than bo had. But hes a "nebraska guy and played here so..." Can not be thinking like that. Like i said. Embrace it. Just done live in it.

Tom wouldn't be able to put in the necessary hours. As much as it stings to say it, this program needs to move on from TO.

Embrace your history. Just dont live in it. That's gotta be the mantra of this coaching search. Let's modernize and revolutionize. Get back.
I don't think that anybody is really considering TO seriously. They're just engaging in hypothetical conversation. I really don't want to be argumentative, but in my humble opinion, "modernizing and revolutionizing" instead of embracing our former identity essentially is what has kept us in this mess for the past decade. A lot of us want to go back to the style of football that created all of the tradition that made this program great. Back to the future.
it wasnt just about any notion of TO actually coaching. Its the whole mentality. In order hit a home run here, we gotta be willing to cut ties from our history from an operational standpoint. Look forward not backwards. Like the Frost thing. Its still ridiculous to me in a way. Hes got significantly less experience as a coordinator than bo had. But hes a "nebraska guy and played here so..." Can not be thinking like that. Like i said. Embrace it. Just done live in it.

This is a very good point. Scott is unproven and people look past that since he "gets it", I remember a lot of people saying that about Bo (myself included) but what ever "it" is, is intangible and of course changes depending on the product on the field, and the W/L column.

First, this is in no way an attack on TO. I defended him in the early 70ies when fans were calling for his head.

Why would we think TO could turn things around? Has he ever had to turn a program around? NO. He inherited Davaney's program and a staff of experienced assistants and several of them stayed with him for years. Pelini got a program that was in shambles. Built a staff and has

brought us back to the 9 wins a season level. With an extra game or two every year and weak competition in those games I'm not impressed by

this.

If we want someone to turn things around then let's find someone who has been there and done that.

T_O_B

First, this is in no way an attack on TO. I defended him in the early 70ies when fans were calling for his head.

Why would we think TO could turn things around? Has he ever had to turn a program around? NO. He inherited Davaney's program and a staff of experienced assistants and several of them stayed with him for years. Pelini got a program that was in shambles. Built a staff and has

brought us back to the 9 wins a season level. With an extra game or two every year and weak competition in those games I'm not impressed by

this.

If we want someone to turn things around then let's find someone who has been there and done that.

T_O_B

How about Bill Snyder? Heh, heh.

this.

T_O_B

I realize Snyder won the B12 in 2012, but he typically beats Texas and loses to the top teams.

Before Osborne won all of those championships, I remember how the big money donors were growing unhappy with him. They felt the game had passed him by and that Nebraska couldn't get its hands on the players it needed to win the big games. Osborne never changed his philosophy. The only thing that changed was the quality of players on the sidelines. In my opinion, the 1995 team in particular was one of the most stacked teams in college football history. What we need is a coach like Osborne who thinks about the big picture and gets the players he needs to implement his vision.

Never changed philosophy? So revamping the defense in the early 90s by going to a 4-3. Making corners safeties. Making safeties linebackers and making linebackers de's wasnt a change in philosophy? Influxing the defensive side of the ball with necessary speed and athletes to not only compete with, but later dominate the upper tier programs around the country isnt a change in philosophy? Putting a dedication to strength and conditioning, nutritition and psychology (unity council)to not only offset locational shortcomings and being the most innovative program in such fields, but create huge intangible advantage isnt changing philosphy.

Those teams in the 90's had no more overall talent in relation to the rest of the country than any other Osborne teams. The program just "had its sh#t together". Osborne had a line in the sand moment in 1990. I thought Bo had his last November. I thought wrong.

Read this. you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.

61rL0R29zPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

It explains how there was a massive shift in culture and philosphy on numerous levels within the Nebraska program in the early 90's, leading to the most dominate perioud in the history of the game.

To say nothing of the offensive changes. Gill, Rozier and Rogers did not run the same offense as Frazier and Frost. He changed to the Wishbone/Triple Option after he couldn't beat Oklahoma, who was running it.

What didn't change was toughness, accountability and attention to detail.

Actually one major offensive change happened when he got Gill for his QB. When he was Devaneys OC and when he was in his first years as HC he ran a pro style offense. Think Vince Ferragamo.

this.

T_O_B

True, Osborne may not have had to turn a program around and rebuild it, but he didn't let it fall into shambles either. He maintained the dominance and built on it. And I'm not sure why people are saying we need a coach to turn things around. Pelini has a somewhat solid program. A nine win season isn't that terrible. We just need a coach who can take the further than he's capable of doing.

Before Osborne won all of those championships, I remember how the big money donors were growing unhappy with him. They felt the game had passed him by and that Nebraska couldn't get its hands on the players it needed to win the big games. Osborne never changed his philosophy. The only thing that changed was the quality of players on the sidelines. In my opinion, the 1995 team in particular was one of the most stacked teams in college football history. What we need is a coach like Osborne who thinks about the big picture and gets the players he needs to implement his vision.

Never changed philosophy? So revamping the defense in the early 90s by going to a 4-3. Making corners safeties. Making safeties linebackers and making linebackers de's wasnt a change in philosophy? Influxing the defensive side of the ball with necessary speed and athletes to not only compete with, but later dominate the upper tier programs around the country isnt a change in philosophy? Putting a dedication to strength and conditioning, nutritition and psychology (unity council)to not only offset locational shortcomings and being the most innovative program in such fields, but create huge intangible advantage isnt changing philosphy.

Those teams in the 90's had no more overall talent in relation to the rest of the country than any other Osborne teams. The program just "had its sh#t together". Osborne had a line in the sand moment in 1990. I thought Bo had his last November. I thought wrong.

It explains how there was a massive shift in culture and philosphy on numerous levels within the Nebraska program in the early 90's, leading to the most dominate perioud in the history of the game.

To say nothing of the offensive changes. Gill, Rozier and Rogers did not run the same offense as Frazier and Frost. He changed to the Wishbone/Triple Option after he couldn't beat Oklahoma, who was running it.

We did run the option, but we ran it out of the I formation and not the Wishbone. We played a running back and a full back at the same time. Oklahoma had 3 backs in the backfield not including the quarterback.

Actually, this is the very first thought that entered my mind last night as the thought came to me. Dr. Tom Osborne could come back and resurrect this thing -- Nebraska football. I have been so discouraged over the direction of my Cornhuskers football team here lately.

Tommy Armstrong (12 of 19, 223 passing yards, zero interceptions) was just amazing Saturday, and then Nathan Gerry came on to play the game of his life when he raced past all defenders on a blocked field goal scoop and return. And Armstrong's improvisation on the beautiful roll out using every bit of his 4.54 40 time to race forward and then just loft the prettiest deep ball to a wide open Kenny Bell --- that was awesome!!!!

Again, the direction of our program concerns me. We need a role model for the kids living in Nebraska. Dr. Tom Osborne was always my role model even though I grew up in Georgia and was cheering for my Alma Mater, UGA. Still, Nebraska has been my strong 2nd favorite team since 8th grade.

Tom Osborne could do what Coach Snyder is doing to help out Kansas State. He could come back in for a brief while and give the program back its stability. Coach Osborne is a kind and Godly man, a strong Christian. And his players would go through brick walls for him. I remember the effort that Ed Stewart gave for Coach Osborne. And Trev Alberts ... WOW!!! John Reece ... those guys took control ... because they were being led by a man of tremendous integrity who also had their backs like no other.

Bring him back! Bring him back now! I remember how Iowa handed us a 10-7 loss during Osborne's tenure that was one of Nebraska's three losses in 1981. That game ... seeing Phil Blatcher and Iowa take us out like that just killed me; it made me sick! Let Osborne take on the sideline and coach our team against Iowa! He still has a score a settle with them, I am right there with him! I can't stand Iowa!!!

Whoever our coach is Friday afternoon, let's get them! This will make us 9-3 as Turner Gill's '81 squad also reached a 9-3 finish (in spite of the 10-7 Iowa loss that year). Better things were ahead of NU as they would go on to 24-2 in the next two glorious seasons of Nebraska football history.

I just don't want us to give up on the players of this team. I want that win over Iowa! I sure couldn't accept it then (1981) and will never accept the idea now!

Now -- if we need to clean house with our current staff -- I get that. I'm sure Eichorst and Osborne are probably completely on top of this more than people think. I loved Osborne's kind and loving demeanor. For a Georgia graduate, he's still my favorite college football coach -- sorry Bear Bryant -- of all time!

Actually one major offensive change happened when he got Gill for his QB. When he was Devaneys OC and when he was in his first years as HC he ran a pro style offense. Think Vince Ferragamo.

Actually the change started before Gill came, he was just the final piece of the puzzle in a move to a power run/option based offense. Think Jeff Quinn, more runner than passer at QB, big bruiser like Frost.

this.

T_O_B

I realize Snyder won the B12 in 2012, but he typically beats Texas and loses to the top teams.

Wow, just wow. Do you watch college football? In 2003, everyone had pretty much just anointed OU the NC. In the Big 12 Championship, KState took OU behind the shed for a beating of a lifetime. KState was headed to the NC game in 98' but they lost to A&M in the Big 12 Championship. KState would have won the NC in 03' had Roberson not got hurt during the season when they lost to Marshall. Bill Snyder is probably one of the best football minds and coaches college football has ever seen.