11 years ago

Ulty

I find it amazing that when we discuss which coaches need to pack their bags and go that none of these names are mentioned:

Mike Arthur, James Dobson, Tyler Clarke, Willie Jones, and Taylor Porter. These are the strength and conditioning coaches. Mike Arthur isn't directly involved with the football program but he is the director of all S&C. They have done a miserable job and should be in no job higher than a spot at a local YMCA.

With this many S&C coaches we shouldn't have so many linemen who look just plain fat.

T_O_B

I am TRULY HOPING that is why Boyd was brought back. I know he is there to "oversee the S&C at NU EXCEPT for football", but IMO, you don't bring a guy like Boyd back with his knowledge and expertise and NOT have him over the biggest program at NU...........

Our guys simply do not pass the eyeball test in regards to the "physical look"....We also seem to be worn down quickly, injury prone and weak at the LOS.

I agree.

let's say goodbye to Pelini, and let's look forward to the future.

And end up with another Callahan? No thanks. Let's keep Pelini and keep a stable, winning football program.

Good lord... There are several quality arguments for keeping Pelini (unfortunately not as many as the arguments to get rid of him) but the fear of ending up with another Callahan is NOT one of those quality reasons. That's the stupidest thing you could argue.

Aaron Semm @AaronSemm · Nov 22

After 13 yrs, Ohio State had enuf of 111-43-4, Mr Nine Win, John Cooper, and they moved on. Two years later they were national champs

Because it doesnt have to be a sinking ship. You overhaul the staff whether Bo likes it or not. Between being fired and giving him one last shot to take the next step, I think he takes that step. Tell him verbatim this year was not acceptable, tell him we expect to compete for conference and national implications next year. Tell him the direction is stuck in neutral but we dont want to switch drivers.

Even if Bo stays another year after a staff overhaul he can be shown the door if goals arent met. The new staff could be retained potentially depending who would be brought in.

Red it ain't gonna happen just let gooooooooo.........

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

If that's the case, here are the coaches who HAVE to go:

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Priorities going forward:

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

Why would a seasoned staff want to climb aboard the sinking ship?
Why would any head coach if we fire Pelini?
What?

No quality coach would come to a program that fires 9 and 10 win coaches. So again, what quality coach would actually come here if we fire Pelini?

No quality coach would come to a program that fires 9 and 10 win coaches. So again, what quality coach would actually come here if we fire Pelini?

seriously, we have been through this, last year.

a coach that gets to lose 4 games a year in an easy conference, who does not have to win anything of meaning, who does not have to improve, who can tell the fans to f#*k themselves, who can call himself a defensive guru and yet field some of the worst defenses in school history, and who can do this for 7 f'ing years.

honestly, why keep bo and who would be afraid to replace him? this team is as bad as it has been under him after he had 7 years for his "process" and to find players that could "execute." i really wonder what quality coach with any self-esteem at all would be afraid to follow in bo's footsteps.

• Fire 1

Because it doesnt have to be a sinking ship. You overhaul the staff whether Bo likes it or not. Between being fired and giving him one last shot to take the next step, I think he takes that step. Tell him verbatim this year was not acceptable, tell him we expect to compete for conference and national implications next year. Tell him the direction is stuck in neutral but we dont want to switch drivers.

Even if Bo stays another year after a staff overhaul he can be shown the door if goals arent met. The new staff could be retained potentially depending who would be brought in.

Changing subordinates doesn't make sense to me. Get rid of the guy who leads the subordinates, too.

• Fire 1

let's say goodbye to Pelini, and let's look forward to the future.

And end up with another Callahan? No thanks. Let's keep Pelini and keep a stable, winning football program.

Good lord... There are several quality arguments for keeping Pelini (unfortunately not as many as the arguments to get rid of him) but the fear of ending up with another Callahan is NOT one of those quality reasons. That's the stupidest thing you could argue.

Aaron Semm @AaronSemm · Nov 22

After 13 yrs, Ohio State had enuf of 111-43-4, Mr Nine Win, John Cooper, and they moved on. Two years later they were national champs

I don't think it's stupid. While Cooper averaged 9-wins his last two season were below that mark, and don't forget they ended-up hiring a 1AA coach that happened to work-out (plenty don't). Plus Ohio State is a hands-down easier place to win at than Nebraska, and thusly a more attractive job. When we canned Solich it was booed in the coaching community and if we can Bo the perception would likely be fairly similar. Not saying we wouldn't get a good, proven HC but we could well have to hope that Frost is ready for the bigtime.

We'll see what happens. If he's gone, he's gone, hope we get somebody great. My guess is he stays. If Shawn wouldn't pull the plug for all of last year's troubles on and off the field I don't see him pulling the plug for this one. If Bo stays I think a couple staffing upgrades would go far for us.

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

What?

Well we would both have to subjectively define what quality meant. However, I'm sure we would disagree upon that but IMO plenty of "quality" coaches would want to come to Nebraska for a pay raise and a chance to coach a reknown football program with plenty of monetary resources, but I guess we will never know until we try will we...

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

What?

Well we would both have to subjectively define what quality meant. However, I'm sure we would disagree upon that but IMO plenty of "quality" coaches would want to come to Nebraska for a pay raise and a chance to coach a reknown football program with plenty of monetary resources, but I guess we will never know until we try will we...

Well we tried firing a winning coach in 2003. We had power 5 coaches laughing at us for approaching them. Who would honestly come to Nebraska to get fired for winning.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

What?

Well we tried firing a winning coach in 2003. We had power 5 coaches laughing at us for approaching them. Who would honestly come to Nebraska to get fired for winning.

Lol Bo isn't being fired for winning enough...he's being fired for 40 point losses. If you don't see the difference in that then idk what to tell you. And like i said plenty just like your opinion is that no one would come. Either way we won't know until we try.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

What?

Now if you are too scared to take a risk, then just admit that but don't play it off like you know for a fact no quality coach would come here because you don't know that for a fact (and I know it's hard to believe since it seems like you know everything for a fact)