11 years ago

Ulty

Well, today is the day, and it closely mirrors Frank Solich's last game as Husker coach as well.

In 2003, we started the season 7-1, but got hammered by the only good teams we played. An embarrassing loss at home to a team that had historically been our bitch dropped us to 8-3 leading to the final game of the season, with wide speculation about Solich's future. Then we go on the road the day after Thanksgiving and win a game that a lot of people didn't really expect us to, but it was not enough to save Solich's job.

I was working in Chicago in 2003 and was not privy to all the Lincoln/Omaha media, but I do recall that after the Kansas State game, a pundit on ESPN radio speculated that it was the final nail in Solich's coffin. At the time I thought "no way."

The sun rises today very much the same. We can beat Iowa, but hopefully the powers that be can see beyond the results of today's single game and realize what it true about the Pelini era. Solich was a good coach, and a popular one, but we weren't going to win any more championships with him. Same with Pelini.

Let's beat Iowa, let's say goodbye to Pelini, and let's look forward to the future.

• Fire 3

Well, today is the day, and it closely mirrors Frank Solich's last game as Husker coach as well.

In 2003, we started the season 7-1, but got hammered by the only good teams we played. An embarrassing loss at home to a team that had historically been our bitch dropped us to 8-3 leading to the final game of the season, with wide speculation about Solich's future. Then we go on the road the day after Thanksgiving and win a game that a lot of people didn't really expect us to, but it was not enough to save Solich's job.

I was working in Chicago in 2003 and was not privy to all the Lincoln/Omaha media, but I do recall that after the Kansas State game, a pundit on ESPN radio speculated that it was the final nail in Solich's coffin. At the time I thought "no way."

The sun rises today very much the same. We can beat Iowa, but hopefully the powers that be can see beyond the results of today's single game and realize what it true about the Pelini era. Solich was a good coach, and a popular one, but we weren't going to win any more championships with him. Same with Pelini.

Let's beat Iowa, let's say goodbye to Pelini, and let's look forward to the future.

at least Solich was willing to change some of his staff, hard head will never do that....show him the door.

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

If that's the case, here are the coaches who HAVE to go:

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Priorities going forward:

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

• Fire 1

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

Why would a seasoned staff want to climb aboard the sinking ship?

Because it doesnt have to be a sinking ship. You overhaul the staff whether Bo likes it or not. Between being fired and giving him one last shot to take the next step, I think he takes that step. Tell him verbatim this year was not acceptable, tell him we expect to compete for conference and national implications next year. Tell him the direction is stuck in neutral but we dont want to switch drivers.

Even if Bo stays another year after a staff overhaul he can be shown the door if goals arent met. The new staff could be retained potentially depending who would be brought in.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

It depends who you talk to. To you, it may seem like a sinking ship. To others, it probably feels like the same old thing - still winning games but need something extra to push us over the plateau. I can see both sides of it.

Bottom line, if Bo can't swallow his pride and make some schematic changes to his defense, he's keeping his team from being great, and we'd just as well fire him and start over.

• Fire 1

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

It depends who you talk to. To you, it may seem like a sinking ship. To others, it probably feels like the same old thing - still winning games but need something extra to push us over the plateau. I can see both sides of it.

Bottom line, if Bo can't swallow his pride and make some schematic changes to his defense, he's keeping his team from being great, and we'd just as well fire him and start over.

Do you really think a seasoned DC would take this job with Bo looking over his shoulder at every move?

PuppetPuchis is DC in name only and I've got to believe anyone else would be in the same situation.

Defense is supposedly Bo's calling card and it's a stretch to think he would hand autonomy over to anyone else.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Do you really think a seasoned DC would take this job with Bo looking over his shoulder at every move?

PuppetPuchis is DC in name only and I've got to believe anyone else would be in the same situation.

Defense is supposedly Bo's calling card and it's a stretch to think he would hand autonomy over to anyone else.

That's why I said we'd just as well stamp the DC title on Bo. Pap is basically a wasted staff spot because he has no say in it.

Just watched TCU play last night, and IDK if they have a DC position or not, but it's obvious that Patterson calls all the plays on defense.

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

That's why I said we'd just as well stamp the DC title on Bo. Pap is basically a wasted staff spot because he has no say in it.

Just watched TCU play last night, and IDK if they have a DC position or not, but it's obvious that Patterson calls all the plays on defense.

Bumpas is the DC for TCU.....and yes, they are very similar to Pelini/Papuchis in how they do things......with a huge difference being Bumpas is an experienced DL coach.

Speaking from a management/ownership position, if I have to tell my supervisor how to do his job and overrule his decisions about personnel under his control, the problem is my supervisor not his reports.

Name one instance, one time, where the AD forcing a coaches hand all of a sudden made that HC better and it was a long term solution. Some of ya'll are delusional if you think forcing changes under Pelini will work. I understand the thought that maybe that's all that will happen but we can hope for more and we don't have to pretend that is a real solution.

Kudos on the post by the way...I agree