"Keep the Staff Intact" - I Wish This Was A Joke

Landlord

There's media- and fan-driven speculation regarding Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini's future at the school. As always, the naysayers are easily the most vocal.

The athletic director is mum.

It all occurs after an overtime win at Iowa that completed Nebraska's 9-3 regular season (5-3 Big Ten).

This is bullsh#t, Sipple, and you know it. Bo Pelini's future has been a serious topic of discussion for at least a year. It resurfaced when our offense was stymied for most of the MSU game, reached a fever pitch when Pelini's defense ritualistically imploded in Madison, and continued unabated as we were forced to settle for third in the league after Minnesota bullied us off our own field.

Nebraska's football operation has reached a point where it no longer can be business as usual. If the program is going to reach a higher level, there will need to be fundamental changes.

And I don't mean a change of coaching staff.

It would defy fairness to fire a coaching staff that just produced a 9-3 record that includes a couple of ugly sores but ultimately an extremely inspiring victory.

Yes, I think Friday's win should matter in the grand scheme because, at the end of the day, wins and losses do matter. Put it this way: Pelini's most vicious detractors (and foes on the recruiting trail) would've seized upon a fourth loss like a piece of raw meat.

How can you read this nonsense without getting a headache? How does Sipple even write it? He can't be this ignorant. He can't.

The victory over Iowa, a 7-5 team with one of the softest schedules in the nation, preserved our sacred place as the third best team in the B1G West. It's truly inspiring. I'm glad that one comeback win over a total mediocrity is enough to convince you to stand idle as the program you're employed to cover continues its gravitation toward that same level of mediocrity. Excuse me, you're right, that's not fair. Iowa has won the conference under Ferentz and made a BCS game in the last five years.

Sipple also has one of the stranger methods of argument I've ever encountered. He essentially makes the point that if Pelini & Co. had preformed any worse than they did, his critics would have an even stronger case.

No sh#t, Sipple.

I sometimes get the feeling it eats Pelini alive. He talks of the outside negativity's impact on recruiting and on the players in the program. This is where Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst could help matters. He seems sharp and fair-minded. He has a football background (as a former standout at Wisconsin-Whitewater), as well as a corporate background. . . .

Bottom line: Pervasive negativity from outside the program would have less impact on the coaches and staff if they felt they were getting consistent internal support.

1. You mean it's where Bo Pelini could have helped matters, by hiring competent staff and fielding a team that didn't self-destruct with penalties, turnovers, and fundamental errors week after week, season after season, despite the total support of the athletic department to field said team.

2. You mean aside from:

[C]redit Eichorst for allowing Pelini to expand the recruiting staff. Eichorst has cited an increase in private plane usage and the hiring of more recruiting staff as examples of support. NU's recruiting budget for 2014-15 is slotted at $1.2 million, roughly $300,000 more than in 2013-14.

Nebraska now has a director of recruiting operations, recruiting manager and director of player personnel — all positions that pay at least $50,000 per year. It has a couple of full-time regional recruiting assistants.

Sipple, you're talking out both sides of your mouth. Bo Pelini is on record as saying he has already received everything he asked for program-wise. They have done everything that can be expected. You're argument is a perversion of the idea that talent level is the main problem. Minnesota and Iowa can keep within striking distance of Wisconsin, but Nebraska can't because it lacks the talent because it lacks internal support from Eichorst.

Your argument is a house of cards resting on nothing.

Pelini needs to roll up his sleeves. Again. Thing is, he's shown a willingness to do so in recent offseasons. Nebraska has simplified its offense (including a decrease in verbiage), shortened practices to increase tempo and pushed the recruiting envelope harder, among other tweaks.

As for Eichorst, it's almost impossible to say exactly where he stands. Know this, though: Those who ferociously call for Pelini's head no doubt are living championship lives themselves on a regular basis. I mean, 11-plus wins a year without fail. No 9-3 seasons allowed in these parts. Good luck with that pursuit.

And we've seen roughly the same every year, with a clear downward trend after the last of Callahan's recruits moved on. There's no more sleeve to roll up. Fortunately Bo has you to fetch the lemonade if he works up a sweat tweaking.

I love the swipe at LJS readers wedged in there at the end. Who edits this crap? At this point Sipple doesn't even know who or what he's arguing about anymore. I sort of get it. Can anyone imagine an assessment of our program more devoid of context or facts? The guy doesn't know if he's coming or going on any of it. A truly baffling piece of writing.

This is Nebraska we're talking about, a program that has come to nothing but stagnation, embarrassment, and irrelevance under Pelini. The man's had seven years to right the ship. The idea that the resources of the football program or the dwindling interest of the fanbase should be squandered on this staff is simply ridiculous.

• Fire 1

Kudos to X for tearing this piece of "journalism" to shreds. Everything I read you quoted was fine until the last excerpt, when Sip got up on his soapbox. Then my jaw dropped. This guy can eat a bag of greasy Richards. He essentially told fans to STFU, stop being unrealistic ally hoping for more than 9 wins, and lower the bar.

Sip goes from pumping up the Iowa win like we beat down some perennial football juggernaut to this gem saying 9-3 protects the WHOLE staff.

Sip better hope we never meet on the street, because I'd throat punch this guy.