SBNation - Nebraska can only hire the right coach after a blunt self-assessment

r06ue1

God, every article that comes out makes me more and more nervous....................don't let us screw this up!

We screwed it up when we fired Bo. But... to be more on topic, if we hire a first time head coach (again) Eichorst needs to be fired.

Mary Pat why are you on a husker board?

I don't get the reference, so.... I guess that's some sort of insult?

But I guess I can elaborate: If our expectation is to compete for championships (Eichorst's words) we should not be hiring a first time head coach. It takes time for them to learn the job (see Pelini, who I feel was not given enough time). We would be setting ourselves up for failure if we hire a first time head coach, thus Eichorst would deserve to be fired just like Pederson for setting the program back.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me this is not going to end well no matter who we hire (but especially so if we hire another first timer).

God, every article that comes out makes me more and more nervous....................don't let us screw this up!

We screwed it up when we fired Bo. But... to be more on topic, if we hire a first time head coach (again) Eichorst needs to be fired.

Mary Pat why are you on a husker board?

I don't get the reference, so.... I guess that's some sort of insult?

But I guess I can elaborate: If our expectation is to compete for championships (Eichorst's words) we should not be hiring a first time head coach. It takes time for them to learn the job (see Pelini, who I feel was not given enough time). We would be setting ourselves up for failure if we hire a first time head coach, thus Eichorst would deserve to be fired just like Pederson for setting the program back.

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me this is not going to end well no matter who we hire (but especially so if we hire another first timer).

seven years is a long time. especially when there is no demonstrable improvement in the program.

What if we hire a coordinator like Oklahoma did and he wins a NC his second year? What if we hire a coordinator like Florida State did and we win a NC in our fourth year? Seven years is long enough to at least see a pattern or progress. Bo's best years here were his first three. His worst years here were his last three.

But what if Frost comes in here and we achieve success immediately and sustain that success well beyond the excuse that he was playing with Bo Pelini's recruits. Sure, hiring Frost will be underwhelming; we went down the first time head coach route before and it didn't work out. But I think just the personality differences between Bo and Scott are different enough to where Scott could understand what being a head coach means and hire a set of qualified coordinators who can work their respective trades.

Much like Bo Pelini shouldn't be compared to Tom Osborne because they won a lot of games, Scott Frost shouldn't be compared to Bo Pelini because they would both be first time head coaches.

After the fallout from the Bo Pelini era settles, I think it'll become clear that the new coach really only has to satisfy the following baseline: if he goes 9-3 or 10-4, he has to treat that season as a disappointment and not a success.

Obviously there will be other stipulations, but there was no threat greater to Nebraska football in the long run than the attempt to shape its expectations as a program to that of Iowa or Missouri.

If the new guy doesn't produce, but restores these standards, expands recruiting efforts, and dissolves the player/fan wall, we'll be more than OK. And there will always be coaching prospects in the pool to choose from.

• Fire 2

After the fallout from the Bo Pelini era settles, I think it'll become clear that the new coach really only has to satisfy the following baseline: if he goes 9-3 or 10-4, he has to treat that season as a disappointment and not a success.

Obviously there will be other stipulations, but there was no threat greater to Nebraska football in the long run than the attempt to shape its expectations as a program to that of Iowa or Missouri.

If the new guy doesn't produce, but restores these standards, expands recruiting efforts, and dissolves the player/fan wall, we'll be more than OK. And there will always be coaching prospects in the pool to choose from.

i completely agree.

The definition of irony; The same person complaining that Bo was not given an 8th year, insisting that his replacement must accomplish more in 3 to 4 years (or in the case of some idiots, 1 year). Yeah, that makes sense ya buncha Einsteina. :facepalm:

i've been to Einsteina, beautiful this time of year.

After the fallout from the Bo Pelini era settles, I think it'll become clear that the new coach really only has to satisfy the following baseline: if he goes 9-3 or 10-4, he has to treat that season as a disappointment and not a success. not look like a maniac screaming at officials and players which tarnishes the Nebraska way as well as not getting blown out in key games.

FIFY.

If our expectation is to compete for championships (Eichorst's words) we should not be hiring a first time head coach. It takes time for them to learn the job (see Pelini, who I feel was not given enough time).

It took Bob Stoops, a first time head coach, a really long time to win a national championship. Two years? Jeez.

Jimbo Fisher, a first time head coach, took a whole four years to win a national championship! Way too long for on the job training.

Chip Kelly, a first time head coach, won his conference his first three years, but damnit he should have won it sooner than that!

Bret Bielema won conference crowns in his 4th, 5th and 6th seasons. Too long!!!

Can you believe David Shaw, as a first time head coach, took 2 years to win his first championship? That's unreal.

My guess is once he proves it somewhere else there's not a snowballs chance of us ever getting him. Frost isn't stupid. He's not taking a HC job until he's offered by a big time program.

I agree. How would it look for him to come and win 8-9 games for 3-4 years and get canned. I don't think there is a real clear cut guy out there.

well we gave bobo 7 I think frost would get the time he needed

After the fallout from the Bo Pelini era settles, I think it'll become clear that the new coach really only has to satisfy the following baseline: if he goes 9-3 or 10-4, he has to treat that season as a disappointment and not a success. not look like a maniac screaming at officials and players which tarnishes the Nebraska way as well as not getting blown out in key games.

FIFY.

+100